Probably a stupid question about strategy but...

halijack

Can someone explain why it matters for the offense (namely the qb) to call out which number is the 'mike' linebacker. What is the purpose/benefit to the offense? Aren't you still going to run the play you've called regardless at that point?

As much as I hate bringing his name up here; Brady can alway be heard during broadcasts shouting out '## is the Mike' but never seems to audible once that's established. Just curious why it matters and as an aside, how does a qb determine who the Mike is if the defense is 3-4 vs. 4-3. Thanks

I think it has to do with the blocking assignment for the Center, FB or Guard...if the play requires one player to block the Mike, they need to identify him. I think they call it out in the event of a stunt or blitz. I'm no expert so wait for a good answer from one of the other guys.

Just call it "Kiko's the Mike". He pretty much always is and will be come the next time Brady sees him. It's to distinguish rushers, zones and such. So if he is sitting to the left of the line and doesn't rush, receivers/QBs know where the zone coverage is. If he does rush, the lineman responsible knows to pick him up.

I honestly didn't know til I heard Brady call out Scott and did some research. Never played football.

Edited by The Wiz