EJ-O line-defense?

thewildrabbit

While it seems that most fans want to blame the QB, EJ Manuel for the loss....Microsomething

Some want to blame the Bills secondary and CB Justin "toast" Rodgers, I mean... "Rogers was targeted eight times and surrendered six receptions for an absurd 247 yards. That represents 74% of the Jets’ gross passing total."

The Jets sacked EJ EIGHT times, and he was under continuous pressure all game. Unlike the previous two games in which it seemed like he had ample time to throw. The Patriots only blitzed EJ 6 out of 32 drop backs.

Whats wrong with Spiller? CJ Spiller against the Jets, 10 attempts and 9 yards rushing...wow.

An interesting observation, from PFF,

"Buffalo Bills: Only 12.6% of E.J. Manuel’s drop-backs have been play action passes which is the second lowest rate in the league. However, when he does use play action passes his yards per attempt is 11.6 — the highest for a QB not named Manning."

So, is it just bad bad Colin Brown at LG?

""Controlling the Line of Scrimmage

The tone was set by the Jets’ defensive line as all three starters graded in the green, led by DT Damon Harrison (+4.3). His one assisted tackle tells nothing of the story as he was the one moving blockers rather than it being the other way around and he also forced a fumble that was negated by penalty. DE Muhammad Wilkerson broke out as a pass rusher (+3.8) with seven pressures (two sacks, one hit, four hurries) on his 56 rushes. Of course much of his damage was done against LG Colin Brown who is now grading at -23.7 through three games. Rounding out the trio is Sheldon Richardson (+1.1) who continued his strong play and posted his best pass rushing outing of his young career at +0.5.

While the defensive line did their damage, LB David Harris was the star behind them. Don’t be fooled by the gaudy tackle numbers in recent years, Harris hasn’t performed as one of the league’s best, but he’s showed well to this point in 2013. He graded at +5.1 in the game as he got in on six stops and notched a sack and two hurries on just a handful of rushes. Perhaps most importantly, he hasn’t been displaced in the running game as he has in recent years and the impressive play of the defensive line has certainly gone a long way toward giving him clean reads against the run.""

https://www.profootb...buf-nyj-week-3/

EJ,

""As with any rookie quarterback, there will be growing pains and E.J. Manuel certainly had his first-year issues on Sunday. He seems extra cautious to take care of the ball, which is certainly not a bad thing, but it perhaps takes away from his ability to make plays down the field. The Jets routinely challenged Manuel to throw deep, but he was only able to connect on 1-of-8 passes beyond 20 yards and he often led his WRs too far out of bounds. Perhaps that was his carefulness taking over, but the Bills’ simplified offense will be opened up at some point, and those are the plays that eventually need to be made.""

I can recall in that first game against the Jets in 2010 in which Fitz was the leading rusher because he was literally running for his life every offensive play.

"- Bills’ LT Cordy Glenn may have been jinxed into surrendering his first pressure of the season, but one lone hurry on 60 pass blocks isn’t shabby (+1.6 pass block)."

Bottom Line is, the Bills have an answer on defense once Byrd, Gilmore, McKelvin are healthy again. The real question is, is that O line so bad because of one LG falling on his face? Can the Bills replace him for anyone better? Would the Bills be smart at this point to sign a FA tackle and slide him to LG before EJ turns into another Trent Edwards / JP Losman?

Edited by FeartheLosing

We can point the finger all we want..the bottom line is the whole team got there arses handed to them. Rookie QB that is not yet in sync with his receivers. The same formula that has been used against us year after year..stack the box and make the qb throw the ball. The difference is we have a young promising guy with tools where you don't know how things are going to play out. They only reason we where even in that game is because the Jets let us with 20 penalties. It would have been great to steal a win but the fact of the matter is we have a young team the is once again learning a new system. Until our defense is healthy we are going to struggle.

Don't forget Erik Pears!

He was an undrafted free agent many years ago who has bounced around a few different teams including Oakland and Jacksonville.

Worst possible pedigree?

True, Pears might not have a great pedigree, and he didn't have a good game against the Jets. But the man is doing a decent job and currently grading pretty well considering. Not just by PFF standards either.

http://www.wgr550.co...t-Jets/17373633

Year to date grades, ranked by aggregate GPA (Minimum 75 plays)

1) ILB Kiko Alonso - 3.30

2) DL Kyle Williams - 3.22

3) LT Cordy Glenn - 3.18

4) SLB Manny Lawson - 3.08

5) WR Stevie Johnson - 3.02

6) RLB Mario Williams - 2.93

7) DL Marcell Dareus - 2.92

8) HB Fred Jackson - 2.91

9) CB Nickell Robey - 2.91

10) WR Robert Woods - 2.87

11) CB Leodis McKelvin - 2.87

12) RT Erik Pears - 2.62

13) DL Alex Carrington - 2.56

14) TE Scott Chandler - 2.56

15) HB C.J. Spiller - 2.55

16) RG Kraig Urbik - 2.55

17) RLB Jerry Hughes - 2.54

18) C Eric Wood - 2.52

19) DL Alan Branch - 2.51

20) QB EJ Manuel - 2.50

21) S Jim Leonhard - 2.48

22) ILB Arthur Moats - 2.45

23) S/CB Aaron Williams - 2.44

24) S Da'Norris Searcy - 2.39

25) WR T.J. Graham - 2.30

26) CB Justin Rogers - 1.60

27) LG Colin Brown - 0.92

Worse grade then CB Justin "toast" Rodgers. Colin Brown is making that entire line look bad. I have to wonder how much longer do the Bills leave him in there? I don't see Doug Legursky or Sam Young playing much better either.

I have to question letting G Chad Rinehart leave (who is now the starting LG on the SD Chargers.)

http://www.utsandieg...ls-free-agency/

"Offensive Line

Another week, and another game where left tackle Cordy Glenn (86, 2, 3.0) looks smooth and comfortable in dealing with his assignments. In pass protection, Glenn went up against Quinton Coples and quite simply dominated him at the point of attack. The left tackle had a miscue on one run play and also had a holding call late in the contest, but otherwise played a very good game. The rest of the offensive line wasn't nearly as effective, however. Right tackle Erik Pears (86, -4, 2.0) had his worst game of the young season. When Coples was lined up against Pears, the second-year player had some success there. Eric Wood (86, -4, 2.0) struggled a few times in the run game and like most others he lined up against, Muhammad Wilkerson gave Wood some trouble as well. Kraig Urbik (82, -2, 2.3) and Sam Young (4, -2, 0.7) handled the duties at right guard. Urbik had to leave the game near the end of the second quarter with a knee injury but returned to start the second half. While he was out, Young came in and directly contributed to two of the Jets' eight sacks. Once again,Colin Brown (86, -10, 1) was the weak link of the offensive line. This time, it was a combination of Wilkerson, Damon Harrison and rookie Sheldon Richardson that gave Brown trouble throughout the game. He's constantly playing without leverage, which leads to many plays where his assignment can easily move past him."

Edited by FeartheLosing

Colin Brown is too tall. Cordy Glenn is a smooth operator.

We currently have no options for the O line.

Great link/post. I love the details.

jets D line were giving the Bills O a Trial by Fire. Its as simple as that. Rex educated sharply, the offense into the NFL .

Lets see if they can awaken the Buffalo Bill and get some footing.

I strongly feel this game and how Marrone and company respond will define them .

Colin Brown is too tall. Cordy Glenn is a smooth operator.

We currently have no options for the O line.

Great link/post. I love the details.

jets D line were giving the Bills O a Trial by Fire. Its as simple as that. Rex educated sharply, the offense into the NFL .

Lets see if they can awaken the Buffalo Bill and get some footing.

I strongly feel this game and how Marrone and company respond will define them .

Thanks, its those details really give me an insight into what's happening on the field.

Two players killed the Bills last game, CB Justin Rodgers and LG Colin Brown. The Bills need to make some serious adjustments heading into this week against the very same type of defense the Jets have.

Despite the bad play at LG the Bills should have been able to make some creases for Spiller....c'mon man, 10 rushes for 9 yards!! One reception, one yard. Get this kid into space, and / or make FJax the starter. As of last game Jackson has 10 less carries and 16 more yards. He is also at a 5.3 ypc avg.

Thanks, its those details really give me an insight into what's happening on the field.

Two players killed the Bills last game, CB Justin Rodgers and LG Colin Brown. The Bills need to make some serious adjustments heading into this week against the very same type of defense the Jets have.

Despite the bad play at LG the Bills should have been able to make some creases for Spiller....c'mon man, 10 rushes for 9 yards!! One reception, one yard. Get this kid into space, and / or make FJax the starter. As of last game Jackson has 10 less carries and 16 more yards. He is also at a 5.3 ypc avg.

i dont think its a Fred or CJ issue. it's a scheming and ahem....execution problem.

Lets see what this week brings. I am resharpening my pitchforks just in case !

i dont think its a Fred or CJ issue. it's a scheming and ahem....execution problem.

Lets see what this week brings. I am resharpening my pitchforks just in case !

In my daily searches of all things ag, I am making sure ya'll know you can't get much past me.

It's not a scheme issue every play, that is what is concerning. You can say the scheme keeps CJ from seeing the field and the lanes but I blame CJ. Too many times he runs blindly in to the line and fails to turn his head and see a wide open lane. It happened against NE and Carolina a lot. It is scheme, but CJ has been struggling with the reads.

In my daily searches of all things ag, I am making sure ya'll know you can't get much past me.

It's not a scheme issue every play, that is what is concerning. You can say the scheme keeps CJ from seeing the field and the lanes but I blame CJ. Too many times he runs blindly in to the line and fails to turn his head and see a wide open lane. It happened against NE and Carolina a lot. It is scheme, but CJ has been struggling with the reads.

Then shall we call that execution ? (this term leadsus back to the pitchforks and ...bailing hay )

: )

Great post FearTheLosing, I love the breakdown of the PFF stuff

My two cents . . .

I think just about every team in the league would like to improve some aspect of their o-line, it seems to be a constant theme. And, (this is anecdotal evidence, no real facts here--but why start doing that here on TBD :cry: ) it seems there are chronic o-ilneman injuries throughout the league.

That being said, there has to be someone out there on a practice squad, or an unsigned free agent, that could improve the LG spot. I guess Legurski is not the answer, or is still not physically ready to play. But, Marrone did say Brown earned the spot over him in training camp.

It's time to try something different, anything at this point.

Then shall we call that execution ? (this term leadsus back to the pitchforks and ...bailing hay )

: )

I would call it execution if the plays were continuously not working by design. Like, a OG trap and Brown not being fast enough to beat the RB. Spiller needs to be able to make these runs, they're not difficult.

I would call it execution if the plays were continuously not working by design. Like, a OG trap and Brown not being fast enough to beat the RB. Spiller needs to be able to make these runs, they're not difficult.

I wondered why they were not using the fullback to help out ?

seemed odd Frank had only one or two snaps