I hate this.

Porter is a TD draft pick but the rest are since he left, although he probably heavily scouted Burress.

Of the top of my head:

Key guys acquired since TD left- Roethlisberger, Staley, Polamalu, Burress, Randle-El, Riemersma, Farrior, Willie Wlliams, Hoke

Key guys they've kept since TD left- MSmith/Faneca/Hartings/Ross/Tuman (OL L to R), Bettis, HinesWard, Kreider, AaronSmith(best DE), KimovonOelhoffen, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Chad Scott

About 7 key starters added-13 key holdovers from TD.

Cya

206814[/snapback]

Plax is the definition of enigma and were it not for the chemistry developed with BR, he'd likely be on the Alvin Harper train to mediocrity this offseason.

Take out two plays (interception and punt return for Jets' TDs), and Big Ben doesn't have to throw the ball down field. Then his stats are a typical 12-20, 120 yards and a touchdown. But because the Jets put him in a situation where he had to throw, he made some mistakes. Still, his team won.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

206777[/snapback]

Not quite, Steelers did not have to be very pass happy even at 10-10. Tongue's INT was awful, because Randle El could have walked in for a TD if Ben through a half way decent pass. He had zero touch on his passes today, and fortunately for him the D kept it close so that the Steelers OL could pound Jets for the tying TD, when Whisenthunt finally returned to the ground.

"They're better because. . .No TD. No Mularkey."

You act like he drove that team into the ground. You do realize that Mularkey's record as Offensive Coordinator was 29-18, don't you?

So most of the OL, some of the backfield and some of the DL. Maybe a 60-40 split?

Well, This team in Buffalo is pretty damn near 100% TD's, right?

how do you account for the severe level of difference in talent? Does Pitt have a better scouting Department?

206820[/snapback]

Let's have this conversation within two years, when you can see the full effect of TD's drafts. Of the 4 drafts conducted by TD, I'd say only 2002 was a flop, 2001 was spectacular, while we have to wait a bit longer to gauge the last two, but they're already very promising.

and some of the DL. Maybe a 60-40 split?

Most of the DLine and half the LB'ers too.

I'd probably call it closer to 70% TD guys.

how do you account for the severe level of difference in talent? Does Pitt have a better scouting Department?

I don't think there is that big of a difference.

They've got a better QB.

They've got 3 WR's to our 2.

They've got 3 backs to our 2.

They're better on the interior OLine but we're better at the Tackles.

LB's are about a push, but they have an extra one cuz of the 3-4

We're probably slightly better at DE and definitely better at DT.

They've got 3 good players in the secondary and so do we.

The major reason for the differnce in the records is that they've been together longer and they play in the AFCCentral (or whatever the hell its called now) while we continue to be stuck in the toughest division in football.

Put us in a division with Cle, Cin and Baltimore and only play one road game vs an AFCEast team and we get a home playoff game, too. And that's with a rookie head coach to boot.

Cya

Plax is the definition of enigma and were it not for the chemistry developed with BR,

He's a dink, but he's a dangerous dink when he wants to play.

I give him credit for working hard and playing well for the last year+, but I'd hesitate to pay him in FA 'cuz I worry that the minute he's not living in fear of Bettis, Ward, Faneca, etc then I wonder if he starts boozing and partying again.

Cya

Not quite, Steelers did not have to be very pass happy even at 10-10.  Tongue's INT was awful, because Randle El could have walked in for a TD if Ben through a half way decent pass.  He had zero touch on his passes today, and fortunately for him the D kept it close so that the Steelers OL could pound Jets for the tying TD, when Whisenthunt finally returned to the ground.

206827[/snapback]

I thought Ben looked OK (just as he did most of the season, when he wasn't as spectacular as many made him out to be) until the interception that put the Jets ahead. From there, he looked like a rookie. No touch, throwing off the wrong foot, etc.

Let's have this conversation within two years, when you can see the full effect of TD's drafts. Of the 4 drafts conducted by TD, I'd say only 2002 was a flop, 2001 was spectacular, while we have to wait a bit longer to gauge the last two, but they're already very promising.

I agree with all that, but would hesitate to call 2002 a flop quite yet, unless you're strictly speaking comparatively.

Big Mike, Denney, Wire, Reed and KThomas have all been contributors and we stilll might see more from MWiliams and JReed. However, picking so early in the rounds I agree we should have gotten more than we have so far.

Cya

I thought Ben looked OK..... until the interception that put the Jets ahead. From there, he looked like a rookie. No touch, throwing off the wrong foot, etc.

Won't argue with that, but would point out that when the Stillers went abck to the conservative game that suits them, and only asked Roethlisberger to deliver when they really needed it, Ben played some very good ball on several 3rddowns.

Cya

I agree with all that, but would hesitate to call 2002 a flop quite yet, unless you're strictly speaking comparatively.

Big Mike, Denney, Wire, Reed and KThomas have all been contributors and we stilll might see more from MWiliams and JReed. However, picking so early in the rounds I agree we should have gotten more than we have so far.

Cya

206841[/snapback]

Yes, I'm talking comparatively. If you give up draft picks in a very deep draft to grab Denney, you better damn well e certain the guy will be more than a pedestrian contributor. Every time I look at the players that were available in early 3rd & 4th rounds, I cringe. Imagine Alex Brown & Randy McMichael on this team, instead of Denney.