D521646

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of issues involved in this:

• Are you home or away?
  • Is the crowd the type which is always late getting into stadium due to the screeners who were rejected from airport screening because they were not efficient enough?
  • Is the crowd in bathrooms, on illegal smoke breaks or getting over priced beer at start of second half?
  • is the crowd likely to turn on home team after a bad start?
  • Is it indoor or is it outdoor and if it is outdoor how does weather and sun factor into it?

Hopefully new "Analytics" department has accounted for all of these factors.

I always want the ball to start the 2nd half...always.

Advantage to the team with the most 2nd half possessions after adjustments are made so it makes perfect sense the teams that deferred more often had a better win percentage.

Or they could simply just be better teams that defer.

Don't know about anyone else, but it seemed to me that deferring on the kickoff was ill conceived last year and the years under Gailey. It almost always put us in the hole early, and IMO having the ball in the second half was not enough to justify the strategy. Take the damn ball if we win the toss, attempt to put pressure on the opposing team with a 7 point lead. What say you?

It's always struck me as over-coaching. It sets the tone that "We're going to out-think 'em," while I'd prefer to out-play 'em. Deferment is pusillanimous.

I would normally throw in a vote for this team electing to receive if given a choice. HOWEVER, I do think deferring against the Pats takes them off their center a bit since BB was the first to really embrace the theoretical "extra posession." Were I the Bills, I would defer against this team given the chance.