Jairus Byrd Recognized by Grantland All-22 All-Stars

uncle flap

Understanding scheme and tendencies is all well and good, but at a certain point, what sets Byrd apart is his ability to make plays on the ball in instances when others wouldn’t. The above play is from Buffalo’s Week 11 game against Miami; it's Byrd's favorite of the season. From the time the ball leaves Ryan Tannehill’s hand, Byrd dashes from just outside the hash mark all the way to the sideline. It’s possible in part because of how Byrd reads Tannehill’s eyes, but also because of this:

iKy2FEkqRCV3M.gif

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/72039/the-all-22-all-stars-jairus-byrd-an-unsigned-star?ex_cid=grantland33

Byrd's awesome. Thanks for the link. If whats reported in the article is true:

Byrd’s ideal contract was somewhere in the range of what the Chargers’ Eric Weddle and Dashon Goldson, the recently signed Buccaneers safety, had received — five years, $40 million, about $20 million guaranteed. .... The Bills reportedly don’t view safety as a position worth such a significant investment.

I don't see why we didn't Franchise Levitre instead, given that ithey were up against Eugene Parker. I just think the Bill's were hoping to use the threat of the franchise tag to get Byrd to agree to a below market deal. Unfortunately i don't see any chance the Byrd stays with us long term.. IMO it probably plays out in one of these four ways:

1. Bills sign him to a one year deal worth significantly more than the franchise tag (start the process all over again next year)
  2. Agree to a contract worth the franchise tag value but one that that prohibits the use of the franchise tag next year. Byrd reports week 1
  3. Byrd either reports week 8 (after the trade deadline) or at least by week 10 to ensure he acrrues another year of service (start the process all over again next year)
  4. Byrd is Traded

I think the best option now may be just to trade him, I'd much rather see them agree to deal in the neighborhood of Goldson or Weddell (especially if the front loaded the cap hit like the 49ers did with Joe Staley) but since they missed the deadline for a multi year deal, I just can't see Byrd remaining a a bill over the long term ( I hope I'm wrong, cause he is a great safety)

Byrd's awesome. Thanks for the link. If whats reported in the article is true:

I don't see why we didn't Franchise Levitre instead, given that ithey were up against Eugene Parker. I just think the Bill's were hoping to use the threat of the franchise tag to get Byrd to agree to a below market deal. Unfortunately i don't see any chance the Byrd stays with us long term.. IMO it probably plays out in one of these four ways:

1. Bills sign him to a one year deal worth significantly more than the franchise tag (start the process all over again next year)

2. Agree to a contract worth the franchise tag value but one that that prohibits the use of the franchise tag next year. Byrd reports week 1

3. Byrd either reports week 8 (after the trade deadline) or at least by week 10 to ensure he acrrues another year of service (start the process all over again next year)

4. Byrd is Traded

I think the best option now may be just to trade him, I'd much rather see them agree to deal in the neighborhood of Goldson or Weddell (especially if the front loaded the cap hit like the 49ers did with Joe Staley) but since they missed the deadline for a multi year deal, I just can't see Byrd remaining a a bill over the long term ( I hope I'm wrong, cause he is a great safety)

Glad you were! :D

I mean I get that he still might not be a Bill long term, but I think it's safe to assume he'll be here for at least this year and the next. I want to take Whaley at his word that the Bills are still committed to keeping him long term.

I don't know the author's source(s) but I doubt he has any more insight than what we've heard from reputable NFL sources, which is essentially nothing. The Bills could be willing to offer a contract that is higher than Weedle's but not high as Byrd initially wanted. Too bad we have to wait til at least the end of the year to find out.

Glad you were! :D

I mean I get that he still might not be a Bill long term, but I think it's safe to assume he'll be here for at least this year and the next. I want to take Whaley at his word that the Bills are still committed to keeping him long term.

I don't know the author's source(s) but I doubt he has any more insight than what we've heard from reputable NFL sources, which is essentially nothing. The Bills could be willing to offer a contract that is higher than Weedle's but not high as Byrd initially wanted. Too bad we have to wait til at least the end of the year to find out.

haha I was hoping my post/prognostication above would dissapear unoticed. So pumped to have Byrd back,

4. Byrd is Traded

None of 1 thru 3 occurred - he signed his tenure in time to not be put on failure to perform list, was not promised to not be paid and Bills did not do something stupid like paying more than 1 year tender rare since that would automatically adjust how much the Bills need to pay Byrd next year when he is tagged again.

I guess this means you are speculating he will be traded since he signed tender?

I don't see why we didn't Franchise Levitre instead

Because when you franchise a Guard you pay the average of the top 5 OL in the league, not top 5 Guards. Which means you're paying a guard the same as the top 5 Tackles - which isn't going to happen. You pretty much don't want to franchise any OL except LT based on how it's figured.

Because when you franchise a Guard you pay the average of the top 5 OL in the league, not top 5 Guards. Which means you're paying a guard the same as the top 5 Tackles - which isn't going to happen. You pretty much don't want to franchise any OL except LT based on how it's figured.

Interesting I did not know that. Thanks for the information. Although it does seems like Gaurds are becoming more valuable.. e.g., Cooper and Warmack going top 10. Some of the contracts signed. as evidenced by Levitre's deal.