10 Reasons Why the Bills Will Win the Division

BisonMan

You forgot #11 - We have Spiller!

Having Spiller reminds me of all those playoff series with Hasek when the Sabres were clearly overmatched but we just had "that guy." It was like sorry, "we've got Hasek and you don't." Miller even a couple of years ago against Philly until he fudged up game 7.

Spiller reminds me a lot of that. AP was the same way last year with Minny. No way that was a playoff worthy team, and he simply put the team on his back.

You misspelled Crossman. I stopped reading reading right there. Great job OP - I'm in!

]thank you for noticing.

Some of you floks like to keep it upbeat around here. As long as you guys arent driving , the koolaid should pour freely .

I think this batch is a bit better than i have had in many years. Some of the concoctions brewed over the last decade at OBD (last years headache still hurts ) will cause quite the hang over.

Time for some Kool-Aid everyone!

1. Turnovers – The Bills defensive scheme will create significantly more turnovers than the blasé defenses of Wanny. Attacking defensive force mistakes and the Bills will force a lot more than in past years. Turnover differential drives wins in the NFL.

2. A Top 10 Defense – With the new scheme, the Bills’ talent will be able to shine. A defensive line that healthy in both body (Williams and Williams) and mind (Dareus) combined with aggressive blitz schemes will rocket the Bills defense up the standings. Gilmore will have Pro Bowl caliber play in his 2nd year. They’ll get burned on occasion but make up for it with numerous 3-and-outs and turnovers (see 1)

3. Schedule is easier than we think – Each year, the quality of teams in the NFL shifts. Who picked the Seahawks to be so good with a rookie QB? Who picked the Chiefs to fall off so dramatically? Some of it is due to injuries but a there is a lot of variability in play in this league and the apparent daunting schedule will not live up to expectations. Aside from the Falcons and, perhaps, the Bengals, the Bills can beat every other team on their schedule.

4. The Bills will go 5-1 in their division starting on week 1 – Each of the teams in the East are flawed. The Patriots are obviously a good team with Brady but they've shown they are vulnerable. Last year, the Bills almost beat them at home and the Cardinals did beat them in Foxboro. The Bills will be drastically improved on both sides of the ball while the Pats are treading water. The Dolphins, even with lots of acquisitions, are still not that good a team and Tannehill is overrated. The Jets are a butt-fumble away from firing their coach and/or QB.

5. Worst to First Always Happens – Each year, at least one team in the NFL goes from Worst to First in their division. The Bills underachieved last year in many ways given the personnel on board. They've upgraded numerous positions, especially coaches and QB.

6. The No-Huddle – In addition to wearing down defenses, this scheme will serve to increase needed reps for the Bills young team, especially their QB. He has all of the tools and repetition is his best prescription. The Bills speed, combined with gassed defenders will allow the Bills to score more and more quickly than they have in the past. Like the Rams of the early 2000s, they may become the greatest show on turf.

7. Coaching – The new coaching staff has brought both professionalism and swagger to the Bills. Evident in the first pre-season games, the Bills made fewer unforced errors than in years past. Even with the no-huddle and two rookie QBs, they only had one false start the whole game. Last year, they had one on each drive.

8. The Ball Bounces Their Way – The Bills last year had one of the lowest fumble recovery rates in the NFL. Basically, after a fumble, they recovered the ball fewer than most other teams. That is a coin-flip type of statistics that is bound to equalize over time. This year, the Bills get their fair share (see 1).

9. Chemistry – The Bills are a young team that is growing together. Several successful drafts over the last few years have given the team a strong nucleus that has and will continue to grow together. Football is a team game and paying for a hired gun often doesn't work out. The Dolphins may experience this in 2013 with so many new players coming in. Successful teams grow from the ground up and the Bills have been doing that and are ready to shine.

10. Top Rated Special Teams Play – The Bills special teams are shaping up to be the one of, if not the best in the NFL. The Bills have game-changing returners in both Goodwin and McKelvin. With Hopkins, the Bills will no longer punt from the opposing teams’ 30-yard-line. Other teams will also not be able to return many kickoffs unless they want to start on their own 10-yard-line like the Colts did on Sunday. Speedy backup receivers will make the Bills kick coverage better as well.

How's that for optimism!

EdW

....as long as 5-11 can win a division

First of all, pretty good writing.

The "blase defenses of Wanny," "the apparent daunting schedule," "the Pats are treading water."

This is not Pulitzer-level stuff but your characterizations are very accurate and succinct.

Kudos.

As for the content, there is nothing implausible about your post except for those readers who might believe that you are saying all of these things are going to happen.

Even if some of them prove true, the Bills will improve over last year's 6 wins, IMO.

And point for point, everything you write is plausible and at worst, debatable.

As I've said before, I take my Kool-Aid dry, right out of the flavoring packet so I might not be the best person to second your motions but I agree with everything you've written and believe that 6-7 of these things could come true.

http://en.wikipedia....ng_the_Kool-Aid

You just got the bad batch, gotta be careful when you drink that stuff!

]thank you for noticing.

Some of you floks like to keep it upbeat around here. As long as you guys arent driving , the koolaid should pour freely .

I think this batch is a bit better than i have had in many years. Some of the concoctions brewed over the last decade at OBD (last years headache still hurts ) will cause quite the hang over.

I stopped drinking both koolaid and booze because of the headaches

Edited by bowery4

Time for some Kool-Aid everyone!

1. The Bills will go 5-1 in their division starting on week 1 – Each of the teams in the East are is flawed ("each" is singular, because we are only talking about one at a time, not a group. Think of it as "Each one is flawed" instead of "Each one are flawed."). The Patriots are obviously a good team with Brady but they've shown they are vulnerable. Last year, the Bills almost beat them at home and the Cardinals did beat them in Foxboro. The Bills will be drastically improved on both sides of the ball while the Pats are treading water. The Dolphins, even with lots of acquisitions, are still not that good a team and Tannehill is overrated. The Jets are a butt-fumble away from firing their coach and/or QB.

How's that for optimism!

EdW

FYP.

Agree wholeheartedly. I was just telling this to a fellow Bills fan the other day.

Jets are in a death spiral and nobody on the roster seems to care. Seriously, the Jets could get a top three pick. And LOL if they take a QB.

Fish are overrated, the darlings of the media (after the Cowboys and Jets), and are just . . . unmanly.

I'll take a split with the Pats because, if nothing else, the players and coaches approach each game as grown-ups who have a job to do.

Edited by maddenboy

Turnovers will also be higher because we will stop the run better. Troup healthy. Solid backups in Jarron Gilbert and Jay Ross. Disruptors like Carrington, Blatnick, Dowtin, and Moats, not to mention our starters Williams and Williams.