(OT) DirecTV question...

stevestojan

Ok, I live in Florida. When I move back to WNY, wouldn't it be possible to just take my whole set up (dish, box, etc) with me - without letting DTV know about it. Then, if a Bills game was blacked out, wouldn't my dish and receiver still be able to show it?

Does the blackout affect "where the satellite signal is shot" or is it just dependant on where your dish and receiver are registered?

Seems like an off the wall idea, but i plan on moving my DTV to NY anyway, so why not just take my whole set up?

Would that affect anything?

Fez?

Ok, I live in Florida. When I move back to WNY, wouldn't it be possible to just take my whole set up (dish, box, etc) with me - without letting DTV know about it. Then, if a Bills game was blacked out, wouldn't my dish and receiver still be able to show it?

Does the blackout affect "where the satellite signal is shot" or is it just dependant on where your dish and receiver are registered?

Seems like an off the wall idea, but i plan on moving my DTV to NY anyway, so why not just take my whole set up?

Would that affect anything?

Fez?

204170[/snapback]

My buddy has a Dish he bought in Boston. That's what he does.

i would work... until they find out where you moved. will your bill and contact info still be in FL? it's all based on the card that is in the back of your receiver... you won't be able to get local Buffalo channels using it, you would still get the florida ones... I think. But for the NFL games it would work... in theory.

Didn't bars try and do this for a while and get busted in WNY?

Excellent. I pay the bill on the phone anyway.

Nice.

204178[/snapback]

You won't be able to get local channels if you do this, as those are beamed down with a "spot beam."

However you might still be able to get the games on the 700 channels, as they probably wouldn't be blacked out (since you lived out of the area).

So, do you want the chance at watching blacked out Bills games, or the ability to watch the local WNY channels?

CW

you would still get the florida ones... I think.  But for the NFL games it would work... in

You wouldn't get the Florida locals either, because they're sent via a spot beam (meaning they only hit florida).

There's a map that someone made outlining the areas in the country that are hit by which spot beams...

CW

You won't be able to get local channels if you do this, as those are beamed down with a "spot beam."

However you might still be able to get the games on the 700 channels, as they probably wouldn't be blacked out (since you lived out of the area).

So, do you want the chance at watching blacked out Bills games, or the ability to watch the local WNY channels?

CW

204188[/snapback]

He would still get Florida locals right?

You wouldn't get the Florida locals either, because they're sent via a spot beam (meaning they only hit florida).

There's a map that someone made outlining the areas in the country that are hit by which spot beams...

CW

204189[/snapback]

Fez, I'm not so sure that's true, unless they've changed things, my buddy's friend used to get the codes (not legal) and get all sorts of different locals...

thanks for the clairification on the locals, Fez.

SDS is also right I believe... you couldn't plug your receiver boxes into a phone line... I think then they can tell where you are. They always bug you about this if you don't have them plugged in too. That's my experience anyway. Fez, any help here?

Not sure if they've changed the way they do 'bidness', but I know what you're contemplating doing will work. It was always depending on the billing address.

More importantly, WHY would you move to WNY? I know you're from there, as am I but I moved because Florida has better climate- hurricanes notwithstanding.. For all the quality of living in WNY, egress is one way...OUT!

Fez, I'm not so sure that's true, unless they've changed things, my buddy's friend used to get the codes (not legal) and get all sorts of different locals...

204205[/snapback]

It's true.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

So depending on where your friend lived, he'd be able to get all of the locals within a specific circle (or spot).

This map is a bit out of date I think, but it gets the point across.

CW

Not sure if they've changed the way they do 'bidness', but I know what you're contemplating doing will work. It was always depending on the billing address.

More importantly, WHY would you move to WNY? I know you're from there, as am I but I moved because Florida has better climate- hurricanes notwithstanding.. For all the quality of living in WNY, egress is one way...OUT!

204217[/snapback]

Snow melts and can be shoveled... Hurricanes and the such can not be. When was the last time a snow storm picked up your roof and moved it down the street? Hurricanes do this regularly... I'll stick with the snow shovel and the assurance that my house will be in the same place as I left it everyday. :doh:

It's true.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

So depending on where your friend lived, he'd be able to get all of the locals within a specific circle (or spot).

This map is a bit out of date I think, but it gets the point across.

CW

204231[/snapback]

Well the site also confirmed it is recent, I know we used to watch Las Vegas local news, it was some crazy stojan...

204217[/snapback]

I lived here for two years. Not long at all, and if i could I would hop on the next plane out of town, back to WNY....

main reason? family.

I tried it - I'm growing to hate it, and I'm ready to go back.