Buffalo SSG David Bellavia's book about Iraq

Someone recommended this book and it wasn't until Chapter 3 that he mentions he's from Buffalo. Interesting first person account of SSG David Bellavia's experiences fighting in Fallujah. The book is House to House.

From the Amazon write-up: "Staff sergeant Bellavia's account of the fierce 2004 fighting in Fallujah will satisfy readers who like their testosterone undiluted....Anyone expecting an overview of strategy or political background to the war has picked the wrong book. Bellavia writes a precise, hour-by-hour account of the fighting, featuring repeated heroic feats and brave sacrifice from Americans but none from the enemy, contemptuously dismissed as drug-addled, suicidal maniacs..."

Part of what makes it so good are his personal admissions about how the fighting made him feel and changed him. Mostly posting for the Buffalo connection but also if anyone is interested in an account of house to house warfare.

I wiki'd him and he now lives in Batavia--has run for office a few times.

Yes, thanks. Last first hand war books I read were "Helmet for My Pillow" and "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge, respectively. Both are excellent reads for anyone that is into that genre.

He also is on air on wben930 sometimes as s fill in host.

I'm pretty sure I watched his story on the military channel on their "shootout" series. I had a few beverages .... but the first hand accounts of the brutal house to house small unit urban fights was incredible to hear first hand accounts of.

Yes, thanks. Last first hand war books I read were "Helmet for My Pillow" and "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge, respectively. Both are excellent reads for anyone that is into that genre.

Agree.

I read "the pacific" which goes into far more detail than the mini series and was a great read

Agree.

I read "the pacific" which goes into far more detail than the mini series and was a great read

Anything with "Ambrose" attached to it is a great read...and historical fiction.

And given that Leckie and Sledge were memoirs that The Pacific was based on, the additional detail in that book was largely horseshit.

Sears has written some fabulous stuff. His book on Chancellorsville is excellent, and a much more balanced than the usual Hooker-bashing.

You must have been the person who mentioned the Sears book in the Gettysburg thread. I put it in my queue and moved it up the list out of curiosity. I prefer political history to military and so usually don't cover engagements in great detail--but it's a great book. The annoying thing is that I have to keep looking at the map.