26 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about starting LT?

• Invest the $10-15 Million signing bonus and $30+M in Jonas
    • Invest a larger amount and go after Pace or Jones
    • Move Mike Williams, sign one of the less expensive RT's
    • Move Trey Teague to LT, Ross Tucker to C, sign a LG
    • Sign a big time TE who is a blocker and catcher to help LT
    • Sign Marcus Price and give him a shot to start
    • Combination of a couple of the above (explain below)

This issue has been discussed ad naseum but I don't think polled recently...what do we do with the LT situation.

Continuity is a big contributor to increased productivity on the OL. I try my best to get Jonas to sign a top 10 contract for LT's instead of a top 5 contract--that still means something like: 6 years, $12 Million multi-tiered bonus, $30 million total contract value.

With salary escalations something like: year 1: $10 M SB, $1 M salary, year 2: $1 M roster bonus, $2 M salary, year 3 $1 M roster bonus, $3 M salary, year 4 $1 M roster bonus, $3 Million salary; Year 5 $4 Million Salary; Year 6 $5 Million Salary....This is about 15% below the contract signed by John Tait last year--and a reasonable figure for Jonas given his normal 14 game seasons.

I also try to give Marcus price a bit of a bump--probably 3 years, $6 Million, $2M bonus and salaries of $750K (Vet min); $1.25M, 2M in each year.

First year cap hits are Jennings: $2.7 Million, Price $1.5 Million--reasonable given our cap space....

I have no idea what the best move is. Ideally, we would keep Jonas, but I don't know if we will be able to do that.

If Jonas leaves, I think we will see Teague move to LT and we will go after a C in free agency. Then we'll let Tucker start at LG and probably draft another one with our 2nd pick.

That would seem to be the cheapest way to go without losing too much.

That would seem to be the cheapest way to go without losing too much.

202716[/snapback]

and god knows donahoe loves CHEAP........to bad he won't pony up the cash to keep a good, young player like jennings around and instead goes bargain bin shopping........with our cap, we can afford to keep our talent around.......

and god knows donahoe loves CHEAP........to bad he won't pony up the cash to keep a good, young player like jennings around and instead goes bargain bin shopping........with our cap, we can afford to keep our talent around.......

202725[/snapback]

Is Kris Ferris still available?

202725[/snapback]

Theres a difference between ponying up cash and being mugged in the process. Jonas is simply not worth breaking the bank for. He's not one of the best tackles in the league and he gets hurts far too often. That being said, I hope we sign him to a fair deal. If he doesn't get signed then I hope we break the bank for Pace or Jones.

202725[/snapback]

Every GM loves cheap players, at least if they are producing at a cheap price.

I don't think Donohoe is cheap, however. I just think he won't necessarily break the bank for a player he doesn't think is worth it.

Is Jonas worth it? I don't know the answer to that. We'll find out.

IMO, I would love to have Jonas back as long as our cap isn't destroyed in the process, and we can still afford to find some quality guys in FA. With no #1 pick this year, we may be able to do that.