Cure for Obesity editorial in Tme

John Adams

I believe anorexia and bulimia are mental illnesses that result in poor physical condition/physical ailments.

There may be mental illnesses that result in obesity; but obesity is a physical condition- not a mental illness.

Hmmm...

Have you ever seen those depressing as hell TLC shows about the 600+ pound men/women who have to have a side of their house ripped off so they can be transported to the hospital?

On what planet does losing the TV remote in your stomach folds because you eat an entire box of Fruit Loops for breakfast not qualify as a mental illness?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...

Have you ever seen those depressing as hell TLC shows about the 600+ pound men/women who have to have a side of their house ripped off so they can be transported to the hospital?

On what planet does losing the TV remote in your stomach folds because you eat an entire box of Fruit Loops for breakfast not qualify as a mental illness?

It really depends on why/how they got that big, doesn't it?

If a person eats like crap and doesn't move all day, are they mentally ill? Or are they just stupid and lazy? Could be either.

It really depends on why/how they got that big, doesn't it?

If a person eats like crap and doesn't move all day, are they mentally ill? Or are they just stupid and lazy? Could be either.

Maybe they have Stupid & Lazy Disease. This is an epidemic that is not getting the attention it deserves. I'm doing my part. Just this weekend I took part in the Biennial 0.25K Fun Walk for Stupid & Lazy Awareness.

Maybe they have Stupid & Lazy Disease. This is an epidemic that is not getting the attention it deserves. I'm doing my part. Just this weekend I took part in the Biennial 0.25K Fun Walk for Stupid & Lazy Awareness.

I wonder what color magnetic ribbon signifies S.L.A.

I was always under the impression that "the perimeter" was where all the expensive items were placed and to stay outta there because that is where the "rip offs" (marketed up items w/full service) were. One would go to the poor house eating from the Deli, Bakery, and Butcher. Yes, the ends and the cash register is where they place the impulse buys.

So there in lies the rub. If you want good healthy food, you will pay a bunch for it. What happens when a person doesn't have a ton of money and needs to make that money stretch? Of course, economic sense dictates one shop the middle of the store for the processed (stays fresher longer too) items... Hence the downward spiral begins. Go processed and eat through or go fresh, full service, and not eat for two days until one gets more money. IMO, human nature would opt for going the more bang for your buck route and eating through. Hence, the center of the store thrives even know profits are less there. The money is in quantity of sales. Seems very much like a rigged game. Do the powers that be really want people healthy? It sure seems like they don't. It is like the guys fixing the roads. Do they want everybody running around in a Prius that gets 50 mph tearing up the roads while paying much less to fix said roads? Of course they will give lip service and say they do. "Save the planet" is like "get/eat healthy."

Quite a problem to solve.

yup. it costs more to eat healthy. and policies seem counterproductive - why not subsidize local production of green vegetables and fruits rather than subsidizing giant agribusiness produced corn and fcs? but we know why...still, even if peas and cabbage and lettuce and spinach were given out free i'm not certain that would do away with much obesity. people crave their salt, fat and sugar. just about every chain restaraunt is built on this fact. oh, and i should have said perimeter excluding the bakery i suppose.