Black Sabbath - "13" Album

Gugny

I just listened to the new Black Sabbath album in its entirety and wrote quick notes as I listened. I wanted to share. It's not a full-blown review, but just my initial reactions as I listened to each song.

It is available on youtube.

1 - End of Beginning.......... Sounds like classic Sabbath – awesome solo.

2 - God is dead ?.............. Still holding onto the classic sound – great overall tune.

3 - Loner.......................... Guitar riff is nice, basic (think Iron Man). Has more of a solo Ozzy feel to it, but early Ozzy (Blizzard or Diary).

4 - Zeitgeist...................... Definitely reaching back to Paranoid for this one. Planet Caravan feel to it. Similar effects on the vocals. Nice tune.

5 - Age of reason.............. This is a rocker. Ozzy’s voice sounds phenomenal. Nice bridge with a sweet hook. Long, excellent solo. This is pure Sabbath. Best tune on the record so far.

6 - Live forever.................. Heavy drums in this one and it dawns on me how respectful Brad Wilk was in representing Bill Ward’s style of play. He’s heavy at appropriate times and uses the ride just as I think Ward would.

7 - Damaged soul............. This is the classic bass following the guitar riff stuff I love to hear. Extended guitar solo and it does not disappoint. At 7/8 through this album, it’s clear these guys were on a mission to stick to the roots.

8 - Dear father.................. This one is a cross between the classic Sabbath sound and some solo Ozzy vocals. It’s a very good tune, but could be my least favorite.

Overall – Without a doubt, I’ll be adding this album to my library. Six out of Eight could have easily been tracks on early 70s Sabbath albums. No crazy effects on the instruments or Ozzy’s vocals. Pure rock. This is a great !@#$ing album.

from what I understand, Rick Ruben had them sit down before recording and listen to their first album from start to finish. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from fans, but I largely agree with your description...it's a good, solid album that sounds like the old Black Sabbath recording in a modern facility. it's all a matter of what you like, but I'd rate it way above Sabotage, Technical Ecstacy, and Never Say Die, and on par with Volume 4 or Master Of Reality. I got the special box edition from Best Buy which includes a second disc with four bonus tracks and a '13' t-shirt (which to my complete shock and amazement was my size: XL). now I'm debating on whether or not to see them when they come through Texas. I saw them in 1978 at the Niagara Falls convention center, then again in 1980 when Dio was their singer, then again in Dallas in 1999 on their reunion tour, and lastly at Ozzfest in Denver around 2003-2004. knowing that this is likely going to be their last hurrah is sad, especially with Toni Iommi still receiving treatments for his Lymphoma.

from what I understand, Rick Ruben had them sit down before recording and listen to their first album from start to finish. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from fans, but I largely agree with your description...it's a good, solid album that sounds like the old Black Sabbath recording in a modern facility. it's all a matter of what you like, but I'd rate it way above Sabotage, Technical Ecstacy, and Never Say Die, and on par with Volume 4 or Master Of Reality. I got the special box edition from Best Buy which includes a second disc with four bonus tracks and a '13' t-shirt (which to my complete shock and amazement was my size: XL). now I'm debating on whether or not to see them when they come through Texas. I saw them in 1978 at the Niagara Falls convention center, then again in 1980 when Dio was their singer, then again in Dallas in 1999 on their reunion tour, and lastly at Ozzfest in Denver around 2003-2004. knowing that this is likely going to be their last hurrah is sad, especially with Toni Iommi still receiving treatments for his Lymphoma.

With Rubin on board, I knew it would be a high quality album. It's even better than I thought it was going to be. I've never seen Sabbath; only Ozzy a few times. If they come near me, I'm in without a doubt.

Picked it up last Friday.

I have listened to it only once all the way through and about halfway through once again. Most of the songs caught my interest right away so I can only imagine it will be even better the more times I listen to it.

I agree that it is a solid Sabbath album. Ozzy sounds surprisingly good and there are some classic Iommi solos. I saw a couple reviewers getting a little down on the lyrics but I couldn't care less about what Ozzy is saying as long as there is a good rhythm and excellent guitar.

I caught Black Sabbath with their original line-up at Ozzfest in 2005. Was an amazing show.

Pure rock. This is a great !@#$ing album.

Dating myself, but my first official concert as a 7th-grader was seeing Black Sabbath at the Aud for the Born Again tour --- Ian Gillian was then handling the vocal duties, and Quiet Riot opened the show.

And in 2008, I made sure to see Heaven and Hell at the ECFair, approx a year before Dio passed away. Dio singing with those guys was incredible. Iommi and Butler are one hell of an engine for those heavy tunes.

And that comes through loud and clear on the new record as well - Iommi came up with some fantastic guitar work, even at this point in his career. A must-buy for Sabbath/Ozzy fans.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp