How do you guys/gals handle job recruiters contacting you...

The Poojer

Curious why you say this. I would think your leverage would be at its highest once you do tender your notice.

If you turn in your notice, your boss says, "We'll give you $5k to stay," and you accept, what does that tell him? It says that you're a mercenary and are going to go wherever the dollars are highest and that the job itself doesn't matter. If it did, you would've come to him sooner and said, "You know, I love working here, but I think my value is $X." It also means that the manager is probably going to put you lower on the totem pole, knowing that you're more likely to leave than your coworkers - so why invest as much in training? And if there's a layoff coming up, why would I put the "loyal" people on the list, when I know you've already been looking and accepted an offer.

Here's a good article that covers these points and more.

http://www.recruitingblogs.com/profiles/blogs/why-you-should-never-accept-a-counter-offer

If you turn in your notice, your boss says, "We'll give you $5k to stay," and you accept, what does that tell him? It says that you're a mercenary and are going to go wherever the dollars are highest and that the job itself doesn't matter. If it did, you would've come to him sooner and said, "You know, I love working here, but I think my value is $X." It also means that the manager is probably going to put you lower on the totem pole, knowing that you're more likely to leave than your coworkers - so why invest as much in training? And if there's a layoff coming up, why would I put the "loyal" people on the list, when I know you've already been looking and accepted an offer.

Here's a good article that covers these points and more.

http://www.recruitingblogs.com/profiles/blogs/why-you-should-never-accept-a-counter-offer

Yup -

1) you decided to leave for a reason, trust your gut

2) at a new place you can likely prove yourself once your foot is in the door and get a bump in pay/title

3) your job security and status at the old job has never been lower.

Edited by NoSaint

well then you should notice, my 'hahahahahaha' wasn't based on the creativity of his post, it was based on his funnyitivity of his post....

Notice I didn't say anything about funny. The word I used was creative. Come on, he can do better than that.

1) you decided to leave for a reason, trust your gut

Bingo. While I was in the middle of the interview process for my current job, I went to my former boss and said, "You know, I love doing what I'm doing here, but I'm ready for more responsibility. I'd like to work on this specific project or take on a greater role in general. What do you think?" He responded that he agreed I could do more for the company, but that he didn't have anything available for me to move into at that time. A month later, I received an offer from the job I'm at now and turned in my notice.

A couple of months after that, the company I was at had a big round of layoffs - which I'm sure is why my former boss couldn't do anything at that time. But professionally, it was a great move for me, even though the overall compensation was roughly the same.

Curious why you say this. I would think your leverage would be at its highest once you do tender your notice.

Exactly. If the organization values you enough to make a counter offer than of course it's something you should consider. I once resigned from a great job because I got another offer with a 10% higher salary, and I was young and dumb enough to think that was worth leaving a job I really liked and that had great potential. Fortunately, my boss realized I was valuable to the Company and that I was probably underpaid and he gave me a nice bump in salary so I stayed.

I think its just one of those cliches people hear and tend to repeat. As with anything, the situation should dictate your actions.

As for pursuing interviews, I don't see the point if you have no intention of leaving your job. You can get enough info from the recruiter to know if there is any chance you might be interested so if not it's a waste of everyone's time to say you'll go on an interview. I like to have the exploratory call with the recruiter primarly just to establish the relationship with the recruiter.

i would think if the company was at all vindictive, they let you accept the counter offer, dismiss the other offer....then shortly thereafter they can your ass for wanting to leave in the first place...

Holy paranoia Batman. If you work for a company where you could even imagine that senario playing out, than yes you should be accepting any interview you can.

look at what the others are saying...i am not alone in my paranoia...if an employer views you as simply doing it for the money, then they know that the next opportunity that comes along you will do the same thing...i don't know if its so much paranoia as knowing you are painting yourself as someone not dedicated to his job or company...not that you owe 100% dedication...

Exactly. If the organization values you enough to make a counter offer than of course it's something you should consider. I once resigned from a great job because I got another offer with a 10% higher salary, and I was young and dumb enough to think that was worth leaving a job I really liked and that had great potential. Fortunately, my boss realized I was valuable to the Company and that I was probably underpaid and he gave me a nice bump in salary so I stayed.

I think its just one of those cliches people hear and tend to repeat. As with anything, the situation should dictate your actions.

As for pursuing interviews, I don't see the point if you have no intention of leaving your job. You can get enough info from the recruiter to know if there is any chance you might be interested so if not it's a waste of everyone's time to say you'll go on an interview. I like to have the exploratory call with the recruiter primarly just to establish the relationship with the recruiter.

Holy paranoia Batman. If you work for a company where you could even imagine that senario playing out, than yes you should be accepting any interview you can.

Notice I didn't say anything about funny. The word I used was creative. Come on, he can do better than that.

Admit it. You left a hanging curve, and somebody had to make like Barry Bonds in 2001.

look at what the others are saying...i am not alone in my paranoia...if an employer views you as simply doing it for the money, then they know that the next opportunity that comes along you will do the same thing...i don't know if its so much paranoia as knowing you are painting yourself as someone not dedicated to his job or company...not that you owe 100% dedication...

Exactly. Yeah, you don't owe 100% dedication. But if you get another job offer, turn in your notice, and then stay for a few thousand bucks more... Nothing's changed in your current job, so why did you stay? If it's just for the money, then what happens when another company offers you a little more? It's just a bad idea overall.