Anyone been to Gatlinburg, TN

DDD

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Gatlinburg for the first time. I would like to rent a cabin, do some rafting, BBQ, and check out the smoky mountains. Anyone been there and can offer any advice? And no, I have not consulted Buddy Nix.

PM me your email. I have a buddy that goes down there solo on camping trips and I'm sure he'll have tons of advice. I can put you in touch with him tomorrow.

PM me your email. I have a buddy that goes down there solo on camping trips and I'm sure he'll have tons of advice. I can put you in touch with him tomorrow.

Thanks for your help Fig Newtons! How does one "PM" an email address?

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Gatlinburg for the first time. I would like to rent a cabin, do some rafting, BBQ, and check out the smoky mountains. Anyone been there and can offer any advice? And no, I have not consulted Buddy Nix.

Watch out for the chiggersdeliverance1.jpg and if you see/hear this guy run fast in the opposite direction.

I've been there before. It's like a Hill Billy's Las Vegas. And for some reason, there's about a million pancake houses (and cowboy boot stores too). Rafting and hiking would be excellent as the Smokies are awesome. You'll also see why they're called the Smokies. And if you have some time, take a drive to Asheville - excellent restaurants and beer.

been this spring to dollywood. it's good fun and there's a bluegrass/barbeque package coming up soon that should be great and i'll probably go back for it. gatlinburg itself is very touristy and crowded. i personally wouldn't stay there unless i had no other choice. if you like to gamble go to nearby cherokee. if you're after a outdoor mountain experience skip gatlinburg altogether. i'd suggest asheville (pisgah area where they filmed Hunger Games)) or Mt Rodgers national forest area in virginia, or a ride along the blue ridge parkway for that. another nice mountain town is blowing rock nc.

Edited by birdog1960

Know it well, You might want to look at "funyaking" (a rubber one person canoe) for a real rating adventure on the Nolichuckey. Not for the faint hearted though. Be sure and drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains ( a sight you'll never forget.) There are also "Branson-type" music halls which are quite good. The park is EXTREMELY crowded in the summer and if you are a camper or nature lover try the Cherokee national forest and bits of the Appalachian trail. Have fun!

Never been there, but know a lot of people who have. Heard nothing but great things about it as a vacation spot. It's also very popular for honeymoons, so you have lots of newlyweds roaming around. Supposedly very clean and nice with lots to do.

here's another idea for those interested in a mountain vacation in the same general area and topography: http://www.pipestemresort.com this is the best state park resort i've ever been to. very reasonably priced, natural, comfortable, beautiful with good golf and fishing. i've been trying to get a party of 10 together for the spring fly fishing trip - horseback ride down the gorge. fly fish the river with one of the park rangers as guide, camp the night and ride back up the next day. plenty of friends who would fish but not so many that want to ride down a steep gorge. maybe next year...

Edited by birdog1960

I go to the NC side alot. Less touristy and a ton of scenery and outdoors stuff to do. Blue Ridge Parkway, the cliffs around Highlands-Cashiers, Waterfalls all over. DuPont State park near Brevard you can hike to where they filmed Hunger Games. Chimney Rock park is worth the drive SE of Asheville too. I have never been to the Nantahala Outdoors Center, but they have rafting and a Zipline that takes you across a valley. http://www.noc.com/ have heard good remarks from those that have been there. Hope that helps

I go to the NC side alot. Less touristy and a ton of scenery and outdoors stuff to do. Blue Ridge Parkway, the cliffs around Highlands-Cashiers, Waterfalls all over. DuPont State park near Brevard you can hike to where they filmed Hunger Games. Chimney Rock park is worth the drive SE of Asheville too. I have never been to the Nantahala Outdoors Center, but they have rafting and a Zipline that takes you across a valley. http://www.noc.com/ have heard good remarks from those that have been there. Hope that helps

This...

I lived in Knoxville for years (near Gatlinburg). Gatlinburg is sadly an overdeveloped tourist trap. With that said the Smokies are unreal in their beauty. The area can become highly congested with people and traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from dolly wood for the bluegrass and barbecue festival opening. Really good. Both the music and the food. And not as crowded as I expected for this weekend. Barbecue platter was $14 for pulled pork (from a whole pig on a spit), barbecued chicken, smoked sausage, beans and slaw with your choice of about 10 sauces. Damn good for amusement park food...actually, damn good, period. Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky thunder put on a very nice show and other bands in small venues around the park were all pretty impressive. All for the price of park admission. This actually changed my opinion on a stay in Gatlinburg. For this, it would be worth it with a drive to the more wild areas mentioned up thread later in the trip. If you are one of the Bills fans in the area try to get to this festival. Rhonda Vincent and the rage will likely be a very good show. This is an example of knowing what you do well and doing it. Oh, and the flying eagle ride is pretty damn fun too.

I live up near Bristol, and love the smokies and blue ridge mountains. Dollywood is nice, but you can't go wrong in this area. We get a lot of "half-backs" here-retirees from the north who retire to florida, hate the weather and come "half-back" to Tenn. No income tax, great outdoors, fine medical care. Let's just keep it our little secret though!

That's where the fight in "Boy Named Sue" took place.

never knew this. apparently, it's where the boy met his father in the song and where they then fought. cool...

on another topic, dolly rocks http://learningmatters.tv/blog/on-pbs-newshour/watch-dolly-parton/11316/. i think she may well belong on the most under rated list on the music thread. maybe more as a person than an artist but she's written some very good songs. some are little known. check out "do i ever cross your mind" sometime.