2013 Draft Confessional: Has this EJ pick made you an emotional mess?

Oh Sweetie, I had one of my spells when the Bills made that selection.

Get the fans running and the AC blowing, but not too much AC it just really dries you out, doesn't it?

I mean then you need some extra lotion, between taking on and off the pashminas, and the Bills taking EJ Manuel in the 1st I can barely keep my head on straight.

I swear between the

I wasn't the slightest bit surprised by the pick, nor am I an emotional mess as a result. Anyone who followed college football for the past couple years, and paid close attention to the offseason workouts, senior bowl, or the combine was not surprised by this pick. Despite what some jacka$$ "draft gurus" might have said in their rankings, it was clear to anyone with half a brain that Manuel was one of the top QB's in this draft. What made him the BEST QB prospect, IMO, were the attributes besides arm talent and athleticism. His mental make-up, his intelligence, his leadership ability, his ability to adapt to any offensive scheme that might be thrown his way. EJ Manuel, with the right coaching, could very well develop into a star in this league.

Thats a bit extreme.

However pre draft. I said many times EJ Manuel is the best QB on paper and if you think he is your franchise* QB you take at #1 overall. There is no pick that is too high or a "reach" of you believe the QB is going to be a franchise QB.

(In between those statements I also said its worrisome that he had two years to light up the ACC and really did nothing special on the field to live up to the potential he has on paper.)

*A Franchise QB defined by me is one that can deal with pressure to perform constantly at a high level, raise the performance of the individuals on the team, and win playoff games and championship that would not have been one if an "average" QB were playing for the same team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I am taking the heat for this one. I am actually fairly stable and mature.

I am enjoying everything going on with the Bills. This draft has made things fun actually. If it all goes down in flames, I will wait it out again and hope we get our guy in 2-3 years.

We all survived the Oilers playoff game when Frank R brought us back. All my buddies wanted to turn it off as it was a lost cause - I said BS, we will watch our team go down because we are fans. Lo and behold, look what happened. It just sucks to get your hopes up high after all of these years. Trent tricked me for a few games when I thought he was our man. We all know how that panned out...

If we had picked Geno, I would have been very, very pissed. Nassib would have been ok for me as I was drinking the Syracuse Kool-Aid (plus he seems to be a pretty good kid).

It def had a Tom Donahoe feel as the Bills pick generated a lot of buzz which TD lived for

I wasn't excited or disappointed with the EJ pick at 16 but I would hv hated it if they picked him at 8. I will admit though that for some reason I didn't know he was as big as he is and has a strong arm so I like the pick even more now

They got the guy they wanted and an additional second round pick so at this point it looks great

I can understand the curiosity to see how the season unfolds. The complete coaching change with a youth movement, four QBs and none of them ever played in a game for the team last year, new receivers, new linebackers, etc. Definitely going to be interesting, but not losing sleep over it.

Remember last year? Fitz was going to be good because his ribs were healed, Super Mario was going to energize the defense, Kyle Williams would be at full strength again, John Potter would get a touchback on every kickoff, etc. Playoffs for sure!

That's why they play the games.

It def had a Tom Donahoe feel as the Bills pick generated a lot of buzz which TD lived for

I wasn't excited or disappointed with the EJ pick at 16 but I would hv hated it if they picked him at 8. I will admit though that for some reason I didn't know he was as big as he is and has a strong arm so I like the pick even more now

They got the guy they wanted and an additional second round pick so at this point it looks great

Wanna talk emotional mess...that's what most Bills fans just might be in week 8 or so... remember the 2010 seasons first 8 games?

The odds of a college coach coming into the NFL and building a winning team his first stint are pretty slim, even tho he has a lot of endorsements from other NFL coaches. Even then his Syracuse team only went 8-5, and cuse came in 4th place in the Big East behind Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers.

Then you have a QB that was graded as a 3rd or 4th rounder before the Senior Bowl, and although EJ was the MVP of that game, the rest of this years draft class is so bad it made an average QB look brilliant. EJ, 7 of 10 for 76 yards a TD, and an INT...that's it? EJ Manuel was viewed as a project by most draft sites. So, now you know why most of the scouts, analysts were shocked at the EJ pick in the first round.

However, Bills fans are saying they love the pick because this franchise finally committed to drafting a QB in the first round. Like most Bills fans I'm pulling for Marrone and EJ to win some games this season.

The franchise has done nothing with high first rounders for more than a decade. So even if Manuel falls flat on his face its no different than other years. Lets go back a few years. Williams total bust, Maybin, total bust. Mckelvin, fifth round trade value, whitner, let walk. Dareus, teetering. Even Cj was a flop since we let a top 3 nfl back leave for a song. I don't understand where the pressure is.