Fans want Kolb as Starter

The "don't start him" crowd is looking at this the wrong way. The bottom line for me is the bills need EJM to come into camp and win the job. That is what star qb's do. Anything less will not be an indicment but will be a disappointment. If starting a rookie is damaging to his mental fortitude then it becomes less likely he will be a long term solution.

Add in the fact that all the qb's are new to the offense and it should be hoped for all bills fans EJM is starting wk1 not out of mandate but from a clear win of the job through camp.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "don't start him" crowd is looking at this the wrong way. The bottom line for me is the bills need EJM to come into camp and win the job. That is what star qb's do. Anything less will not be an indicment but will be a disappointment. If starting a rookie is damaging to his mental fortitude then it becomes less likely he will be a long term solution.

Add in the fact that all the qb's are new to the offense and it should be hoped for all bills fans EJM is starting wk1 not out of mandate but from a clear win of the job through camp.

Of course it will be a disappointment... for those who want instant gratification. Considering his talent level combined with his learning curve it would be wiser to let him sit however. He is not at Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning's, Andrew Luck or RGIII's talent level who were also more refined at their position. Don't get me wrong, kid has talent but according to scouting reports there are some tendencies, mechanics he needs to work on and putting him in right away will kill him. He will have to learn how to fix mechanics while adjusting to the speed of the game, learning the playbook and more all at the same time while trying to avoid NFL defenders breathing down his neck. Sitting at least a year to allow things to slow down, learn the playbook and adjust to the intricacies of the NFL benefited Aaron Rodgers, heck even Tom Brady.

Aaron Rodgers was playing behind Brett Favre. I bet if he had been thrust into the starter's role as a rookie, he still would've ended up being just as great a QB.

Like others said, if EJ is too mentally fragile to handle some early struggles, work through them, and improve, like every star QB in the NFL has done, then he just wasn't meant to be good in the first place.

EJ should start Game 1. Throw him into the fire and see what he's made of. Maybe he will surprise some of you "take it slow" pansies and progress into a star. Then everything will be great.

But if he struggles and can't seem to mentally figure things out as the season progresses, then we need to plan our 2014 draft accordingly.

It would be ridiculously stupid for the Bills to take the highest rated QB from a crappy QB class in 2013 and pamper him and 3-yr-plan him and completely ignore the much higher-rated 2014 QB class.

Alas, that's what we're destined to do. EJ will be pampered and you guys will make excuses for him and then in 2016 we'll "know for sure" that he's a bust while Manziel tears it up with another team.

I think Marrone throws him in as a starter unless Kolb or Jackson look light years better in camp and preseason. The days of "developing" a QB on the bench are long gone. The Bills need to learn what they really have.

Well, if you want him to start, you think he's better than Kolb (or will be). Then you would vote him as the likely starter. Not a big difference.

Big difference.

Manuel can take two paths to his acclimation to the NFL. i dont know which is correct for EJ and we must trust in Hackett and Marrone.

I think Kolb acts as a reasonable buffer alotting the Bills to be patient. Which is a great play because the QB's this draft all need a ramp up to the NFL. At least we don't have to throw Manuel to the wolves yet. unless he likes wolves and thats on the coaches not us. Trust in Nathaniel Hackett.. I know i do.

EJ ready? Only his hairdresser knows for Sure.

After all that, excepting my scratch out you are correct in your now bolded remarks