2013 Bills Defensive personnel compared to 2009 Jets

I've been thinking, getting excited, about what Pettine will be able to do with this defense. There are a lot of posters here who point out that we should dial back our expectations for this defense, though - not to mention the whole team, for that matter. So, I figured I'd check out the players Pettine has had to work with before - and his 2009 squad was the highest rated defense he's coordinated - and see how we might stack up. Now, I don't get into different formats, and pasting excel programs and such - so if anyone does and cares to improve on this admittedly rough depth chart, feel free.

2009 Jets:

D-line: De Vito, Kris Jenkins, Marques Douglas

Linebackers: Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, David Harris, Vernon Gholston

Safeties: Jim Leonhard, Kerry Rhodes, Eric Smith

CB: Darrelle Revis, Lito Sheppard

2013 Bills:

D-line: K. Williams, Branch, Dareus, Carrington (not sure which 3 will regularly line up)

Linebackers: Manny Lawson, Kiko Alonso, Nigel Bradham, Mario Williams

Safeties: Jairus Byrd, Aaron Williams, (Duke Williams or Searcy)

CB: Gillmore, McKelvin

Now, it's never apples to apples - but, if I were to compare them, I'd say our squad has more talent on the D-line, the Jets more talent in the backfield. The middle will be proven, but I think it could go player by player split.

Now, one thing to say about our squad - there's a lot of youth that can still improve, and there's more versatility, I think, with our group. He's going to have a lot of chances to disguise coverages, as many of our players are almost interchangable. I feel good about where we're going to be this year, but, I was really wondering how everyone else thought we lined up?

Edited by KeisterHollow

To me, the whole year, and the whole defense, lies with Mario, Kyle and Dareus. If Pettine's coaching, scheme, personality, style, game-planning, and play-calling, can get the most out of these guys -- AND -- Kyle is not on one foot, Mario comes to play and Dareus gets his head on straight, then we could have a pretty good defense and the rest of the role guys will be able to play to their strengths and disguise their weaknesses.

If our Secondary can provide a few seconds of solid coverage, I think we'll be better than their d. Our talent on the front 7 is light years ahead of that jets team IMO. They may be a bit stouter vs the run, but I think we will wreak more havoc

Bart Scott and David Harris were a nasty combo for a couple of years (Maybe we can bring Bart Scott in for the minimum now that Sheppard is gone couldn't be bad depth but I digress) and Revis was the best corner in the game. Our defensive line is probably just as stout and I would say our edge rushers are better (Also Vernon Gholston was not the starter it was Calvin Pace) and the back ends of each secondary about even.

I see the MLB position and Revis making that defense on paper better. But if we sign Dansby and Gilmore develops I could see the defense being a solid bunch, right now I see 3 pieces that could be missing MLB, CB, and NT but there is certainly a level of excitement with the defense seeing how the scheme will fit.

To me, the whole year, and the whole defense, lies with Mario, Kyle and Dareus. If Pettine's coaching, scheme, personality, style, game-planning, and play-calling, can get the most out of these guys -- AND -- Kyle is not on one foot, Mario comes to play and Dareus gets his head on straight, then we could have a pretty good defense and the rest of the role guys will be able to play to their strengths and disguise their weaknesses.

Well said. The key is: Can that front-3 stop the damn run. Until we can figure that out, we are long ways from the playoffs.