[closed]Sports Science's evaluation of EJ

nemhoff

I am out in Portland, OR and on the local sports talk this afternoon they had a segment dedicated to ESPN Sports Science director (forgot his name). He detailed a study that they do each year on the top 32 draft prospects from each position. They put them through a battery of tests, metric type tests, to evaluate them based on a formula way different then combine type stuff. Real nerdy stuff.

They end up grading out the prospects based on these tests. For QB's I remember a few of the categories (release point, velocity, decision making, and a bunch of physical/explosiveness tests). It was really interesting what they came up with for results. The most striking was that they have not missed (in 4 years) in predicting top talent positionally. For example they correctly identified the last 3 Defensive rookie prospects (Suh, Von Miller, and Keuchly).

He flat out, without reservation, said that EJ was far and away the best QB in this class, and it wasn't even close. He applauded the Bills pick and where they took him. They had EJ score a 90 which put him between Andy Dalton and Big Ben, who have also taken the SS tests.

I read somewhere on the board that the draft is about managing where you take players in different rounds. I completely disagree - I think it is about getting the best player at a position of need (when you are a team like the Bills). I think we absolutely did that with the EJ pick...here's to hoping that SS is right for another year!

I just watched that piece tonight...was very interesting and impressive. I like how they tested his eyesight and how fast he's able to lock onto a target and get the ball released. Pretty much refuted McShay's nonsense about his "slow eyes". Whether he ends up being the pro we all hope remains to be seen, but I think the Manuel era is off to a solid and exciting start.

As for the draft, QB is the one position where I have no problem with reaching if it's someone that there is conviction over. If Coach Marrone, Buddy, et al, think this kid can be a special player for us, then make him the #1 pick for all I care. If they're correct, then he'll go from being seen as a reach to being viewed as a helluva value at 16. For a dynamic, playmaking QB, there is no such thing as reaching.

I love the sport science series!

Dareus was really impressive on the show too.

I'm a teacher and I've used the clips as an example of how math and statistics are used in stuff that interests the students. We actually watched EJ Manuel's today!

And here it is for those who haven't seen it yet:

http://youtu.be/FOLEMyMkDdU

Love the quick release and how he holds the ball high!

Here's the link for Dareus:

I guess you can only embed one video per post

Edited by uncle flap

Sports science is pretty dumb. IMO anyway

It is. Shows pretty much nothing except how their high tech gadgets are used.

Doesn't show his ability to read a defense or throw when 340 lb linemen are breathing down his neck. Not impressed. Such a gimmick segment

Bucky and Sully with the last two posts ladies and gents.

Wah old school wah technology wah gotta smell his breath wah wah wah. Change is inevitable. Metrics, analytics and advanced stats are the new trend because they.......

wait for it

Work.

Edited by JM57

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.