Nix or Whaley??

Just curious what everyone thinks here, who is really running the show this weekend? Just with the picks so far my opinion is it doesn't seem like they are your typical Nix moves..

I agree. Two PAC 12 players in the first three picks and zero from the SEC.

Just curious what everyone thinks here, who is really running the show this weekend? Just with the picks so far my opinion is it doesn't seem like they are your typical Nix moves..

maybe it's not so much whaley vs. nix, but rather nix and co. picking marrone/pettine guys rather than gailey/wanny guys. just a thought.

We've had what, 2-3 previous Nix drafts? Not much of a sample size from which to surmise what a "typical Nix move" is.

Also, every selection is a product of unique circumstances, both in terms of the status of your roster, that of your competitors, as well as who takes which players just ahead of you. Example: clearly the Bills liked Minter out of LSU (they invited him to Orchard Park for a predraft visit), but Arizona picked him just head of Buffalo's pick. So does the Alonzo pick suddenly become a "Whaley pick" or was the Alonzo pick born out of necessity since Arizona grabbed the guy we liked at the last minute?

Reading a changing of the guard into 3 picks is really oversimplifying the situation, in my opinion.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

We've had what, 2-3 previous Nix drafts? Not much of a sample size from which to surmise what a "typical Nix move" is.

Also, every selection is a product of unique circumstances, both in terms of the status of your roster, that of your competitors, as well as who takes which players just ahead of you. Example: clearly the Bills liked Minter out of LSU (they invited him to Orchard Park for a predraft visit), but Arizona picked him just head of Buffalo's pick. So does the Alonzo pick suddenly become a "Whaley pick" or was the Alonzo pick born out of necessity since Arizona grabbed the guy we liked at the last minute?

Reading a changing of the guard into 3 picks is really oversimplifying the situation, in my opinion.

The Bills had 27 picks from 2010-12. 22 of them were from the South including Texas. In rounds 1-3, the Bills had 9 picks in those same years and all of them were from the South. If that's not a big enough sample size, I'm not sure what is.

And with Russ apparently going to a more analytics driven approach to personnel, it should be obvious Buddy isn't making picks like he did in 2010-12.

The Bills had 27 picks from 2010-12. 22 of them were from the South including Texas. In rounds 1-3, the Bills had 9 picks in those same years and all of them were from the South. If that's not a big enough sample size, I'm not sure what is.

And with Russ apparently going to a more analytics driven approach to personnel, it should be obvious Buddy isn't making picks like he did in 2010-12.

In the aggregate, southern college programs (especially the SEC) have better players than other conferences. Might that have something to do with many Bills picks coming from the south? Have you looked at the % of southern school picks from other teams? My point: to pigeonhole any GM like this is a major stretch and very simplistic, in my opinion. Do GMs really get jobs in the NFL by telling prospective employers they'll just make picks from the SEC? Me thinks they'd get laughed out of the interview.

Isn't Florida State pretty far south?

Explain how analytics explains the Woods and Alonzo picks.

If 3 of the the Bills' next 4 picks are from the south, will you stand by your "analysis"?

Edited by BillnutinHouston

In the aggregate, southern college programs (especially the SEC) have better players than other conferences. Might that have something to do with many Bills picks coming from the south? Have you looked at the % of southern school picks from other teams? My point: to pigeonhole any GM like this is a major stretch and very simplistic, in my opinion. Do GMs really get jobs in the NFL by telling prospective employers they'll just make picks from the SEC? Me thinks they'd get laughed out of the interview.

Isn't Florida State pretty far south?

Explain how analytics explains the Woods and Alonzo picks.

If 3 of the the Bills' next 4 picks are from the south, will you stand by your "analysis"?

Let's not conflate the argument. Of course, the South has an impressive concentration of collegiate talent. Yet, I think it's no coincidence the Bills' premium picks all came from that region of the country and almost 80% overall. You can call it coincidental or based on the region's talent, but from 2010-12 Buffalo's personnel department all but ignored a huge part of the country. It's Buddy's backyard and that's what he knows. And for someone who avoided risks like the plague (trading down during a rebuild, not picking a QB) it's not hard to imagine the GM looked to his part of the country for talent.

We can agree to disagree, but Buddy didn't really interview for his job like a normal franchise would either.

As for analytics, well, that's another story. The GM admitted he didn't know much about it in early January and it stands to reason with his departure most likely imminent, that he didn't break out the books since that time. My interpretation of analytics is that it helps to drive decision making by bringing a statistical approach to personnel with key metrics.

The Bills are going in a different direction and it started this off-season.

Let's not conflate the argument. Of course, the South has an impressive concentration of collegiate talent. Yet, I think it's no coincidence the Bills' premium picks all came from that region of the country and almost 80% overall. You can call it coincidental or based on the region's talent, but from 2010-12 Buffalo's personnel department all but ignored a huge part of the country. It's Buddy's backyard and that's what he knows. And for someone who avoided risks like the plague (trading down during a rebuild, not picking a QB) it's not hard to imagine the GM looked to his part of the country for talent.

We can agree to disagree, but Buddy didn't really interview for his job like a normal franchise would either.

As for analytics, well, that's another story. The GM admitted he didn't know much about it in early January and it stands to reason with his departure most likely imminent, that he didn't break out the books since that time. My interpretation of analytics is that it helps to drive decision making by bringing a statistical approach to personnel with key metrics.

The Bills are going in a different direction and it started this off-season.

UPDATE: the Bills just selected Marquise Goodwin from Texas. This means, of course, that Buddy has just wrested control of the organization back from Whaley. Do you see how silly this is?

By the way, there is plenty of speculation and anticipation about Buddy's departure being imminent, but absolutely no proof that anyone can credibly point to.

My thoughts exactly