Don't trade back, take HIM at 8

Virgil

I agree with this. I'd rather not take any QB than be wrong this year, esp. with the bevy of QB talent coming out next year. I'd rather stockpile picks in next years draft to move up like the Redskins and take Johnny Football or Bridgewater.

People say this every year. Wait for next year. I'll tell you wants going to happen. Johnny Football isn't goin to have a Heisman season again. People will question his size, the fact he plays in an offense that is designed to let QBs lit it up (Case Keenum is the NCAA's all tiem passing leader), and the Tebow comparisons will start.

Aaron Murray will get the Barkley treatment. Tahj Boyd and Bridgewater will get compared to unsuccessful black QB by some draft "expert."

With the draft salary cap, you don't kill yourself by missing on a 1st round QB like you used to. If Sam Bradford didn't have that contract, the Rams would have tried to move him and draft RG3. But they couldn't and are stuck with SB. There is talent in this class. And if the guy doesn't show signs, draft another guy. Board favorite Jimmy Clausen was a 2nd round pick, was maybe the worst QB ever, and they draft Newton the following year. With the last 20 years, you can't spend enough resources finding a QB.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is that the Bills will select Barkley at #8 but only if they really love him. my guess is that they like Barkley and Nassib about the same (possibly Barkley a little better, but may believe that Nassib will eventually be as good as Barkley).

Anyway, I still think the Bills should consider trading down (not very far), which would allow them to acquire at least an additional R2 pick, if not more, and then select their QB if they feel the need.

With so many QBs (G. Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Manuel) believed to be rated about the same, the Bills are bound to get at least one of them if they were to secure say the #16 pick overall.

Most NFL pundits don't project Barkley or Nassib to be drafted in R1. Smith is projected in R1, but only if someone like Oakland or Philly takes him. If they don't, then he's projected to be selected in the 20s in R1. Manuel is projected as a late R1/early R2 selection.

I've even heard that there are some who think L. Jones will be the best QB in this draft when all is said and done and he's projected to drafted in R3 or later.

Knowing all of that and knowing that I only have 6 draft picks with about 8-9 holes to fill I think I would be inclinded to trade down a few spots to obtain more picks while still being a major player in the QB selection process.

Barkley does not ave the arm strength needed for Buffalo weather. I am not sure any of this draft class really has that plus the accuracy needed in the NFL. If they take a QB at 8 likely to grab Nassib. However, my guess is that they don't take a QB in this spot.

Tom Brady has a weak arm and I don't think he'd do well in Buffalo or anywhere in cold weather areas.

Ohhh wait...

I look at it like this - IF Buffalo thinks there is a franchise QB in this draft, and wants him, but thinks the 20's in RD 1 would be a better value, they're looking at picking someone at 8 and then trying to trade back up to get the QB.

Who is there at a position of need at 8 that doesn't also have comparable players available in RD 2, or the bottom of RD 1? The only position at 8 that makes sense and is a positional need is Guard, with Warmack or Cooper. However, if they are thinking WR, ILB or OLB, or even CB at 8, and then trading back up into RD 1 to get "their guy", then I propose this: It's a heck of a lot safer of a bet that a LB or WR they like will still be available later in RD 1 than a certain QB. I'd rather them take the QB at 8 and then trade back to get their WR or LB they covet. I just think IF they really like a QB and think they can go all the way with him, and have him as a starter for 10 years, then you don't mess around - you take him at 8.

In fact, if they take any other position, or trade down from 8, it suggests to me they don't have total confidence in any QB this year. If they did, considering how bad the position has been for them for so long, and their ineptitude at filling it, THERE IS NO WAY they'd pass on a chance to finally get "their guy".