So few picks...

To the first paragraph, you can theoretically lock up a player with a 7th round pick for cheaper than having to compete for him on the open market. It's not a big deal but still you're saving a bit of money as well as time and energy in phone calls, courtship, etc.

I'm unsure of what you mean here.

A 7th round pick has to be signed before they can participate in practice(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). They usually get a reasonable signing bonus 65k-70k. An UDFA rookie usually gets 3k-5k(sometimes up to 20k) upon signing....and something like $150/day through mini-camps. They can then be released etc at obviously a much lower cost than cutting a 7th round pick.

I'm unsure of what you mean here.

A 7th round pick has to be signed before they can participate in practice(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). They usually get a reasonable signing bonus 65k-70k. An UDFA rookie usually gets 3k-5k(sometimes up to 20k) upon signing....and something like $150/day through mini-camps. They can then be released etc at obviously a much lower cost than cutting a 7th round pick.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure what I wrote is pretty clear:

I've read that sometimes a highly-pursued UDFA can get more than a 7th rounder.

I seem to remember Mark Herzlich getting more money than some 7th rounders even though he went undrafted.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure what I wrote is pretty clear:

I've read that sometimes a highly-pursued UDFA can get more than a 7th rounder.

I seem to remember Mark Herzlich getting more money than some 7th rounders even though he went undrafted.

I'll see if I can find the link.

The figures I quoted were from a 2012 article on Cowboys FAs.

See what you think...http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/5/4/2998379/dallas-cowboys-undrafted-free-agents-how-much-will-they-get-paid

add on: I can't find the link I'd originally read… it might have been about Herzlich or maybe Vontaze Burfict. I thought it was a linebacker.

But here's a piece on how the Cowboys paid an UDFA 5th round money:

That's where Leary's agent, Adisa Bakari of Dow Lohnes Sports & Entertainment, and the Cowboys' assessment of the player come in. Because Leary would have been a mid-round prospect had he been healthy, and because the Cowboys feel he's a player who can make an immediate impact, $205,000 of Leary's $390,000 base salary for the 2012 season is fully guaranteed (skill, injury and cap). The total guarantee of $214,000 is in line with what Leary would have received as a signing bonus if he were the first or second player selected in the fifth round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

http://www.macsfootb...leary-paid.html

I don't think it's common but it does happen.

The figures I quoted were from a 2012 article on Cowboys FAs.

See what you think...http://www.bloggingt...l-they-get-paid

Kinda funny that both our links involved the Dallas Cowboys.

Wish I could find that article I saw last year.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

And the Pats do not? We have 3 backup QB's. They have one starter.

WR. Well they do have Kamar Aiken. Amendola, and Donald Jones. I think we are better off with Steve Johnson, and whoever else we get. Yes. I'd take Johnson over Amendola.

TE. They have Gronk. No matter what you think of him, you must reduce that to half that worth. He will not make all season. Dan Fells, Jake Ballard and Hernandez are there, too. We have Chandler, Smith, and Caussin. Assuming we draft a TE, I would say we match up better then you'd first think because the Gronk injury factor.

OL. Please. We were better last year I would like to keep believing, but their line does well. I still think we are better because we can pull a worthy OL out of thin air.

RB. Well, they have found an answer with Ridley, but we have CJ, FJax, and Choice.

Defense

DE: They can put a paper bag at DE and get results. We have an outstanding DE, and have done well in the past with DE's. I would say we are both even.

DT: Wilfork > Dareus+KWilliams That is, if both perform as they did last year. Depth beyond those three is dead even, I do not care what you want to think of Tommy Kelly.

LB: I think the Pats LB's are overrated but coached very well. I think they are good but not great. I think our LB's are good at best. Both teams could use at least one LB. Mayo is not continuing to improve.

CB: Talib is old, their other starting CB is headed to jail next year and facing a suspension. They are weak at CB. Aaron Williams would start on their team. We have them beat at CB, and it could still be a need for our team, too.

S: We beat them because of Byrd. Adrian Wilson will do well, McCourtey is old (like Wilson) but Belicheck has proven he can play with age deep off the line. We're match at S

Of course, on the field the results are different, but off the field, no one can argue the Patriots do not have a lot of holes in their roster. If Gronk is out, then Edlemen and Amendola are not going to scare me that much. Bend do not break. I am more worried about Donald Jones leading the blocks for Ridley.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but if it is that the Bills & Pats rosters are comparable then I say Horse Hockey.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but if it is that the Bills & Pats rosters are comparable then I say Horse Hockey.

I agree quite a bit with JBoyst.

I would say that the disparity in the level of the head coaching and quarterbacking have made a huge difference in the fortune of the two teams.

A great QB and a great HC (especially when compared to their mediocre counterparts) make all the difference in the world.

IMO the difference in player talent between the Cheatriots*** and Bills is a lot smaller than most people think.

Brady and Wilfork are their only great players. A distant third place might go to Jerod Mayo who's made 2 Pro Bowls in 5 seasons.

You can never have too many draft picks. The 49ers have 13 of them, and will likely be able to maneuver around in the draft to grab their favorite prospects.

Just an observation or two: it's really about havig exclusive rights to a player and not competing with the rest of the league to get him.

Sure the 49ers have 13 picks, but they've also got a good enough roster that they have nowhere near 13 openings. So they either (1) cut/don't re-sign current players they can actually use, (2) draft players they can't or won't keep, and/or (3) trade some picks for others to get a better shot at who they want more than what they've got while reducing the inventory of picks.

Meanwhile, a team like the Bills maybe DOES have ~13 openings, but even that's debatable if what's available (after competing for FA's with the rest of the league) isn't better than what they've already got. And don't start with "anybody would be better than [fill in the blank]," because it's not true. So part of what happens is that teams like the Bills spend training camp studying the 49ers' cuts because of scenarios (1) and (2) above.