[closed]New Stadium - Need for Fortune 500 Companies?

I was reading Esmonde's column on the difficulty in making a new stadium work in Buffalo:

http://www.buffalonews.com/Article/20130322/CITYANDREGION/130329739/two-bills-drive

As we all know, this isn't a new opinion. Clearly the Buffalo economy has struggled, and there are likely better places to try and sell a bunch of luxury suites, but I'm curious to know how many suites, and therefore big companies, need to be in a region to make a new stadium deal work. I mean, based on what the Bills know they can sell to the usual suspects, just how many are we short?

Along those same lines, people say things like "Bills fans can't afford higher season ticket prices". I don't buy that. I live in Atlanta. It cost more to live here. Some of my friends that make less than me in Buffalo have more disposable income. So why can't Buffalo afford to pay more? Nobody WANTS TO pay more for a sporting event ticket, but Bills fans are more willing to stretch that dollar to go to games than many other fan bases.

I get it, the team stinks right now, but assuming for a second that the Bills become fridge playoff contenders at some point, people will pay a higher rate to attend games. Even if it was $25/game/ticket more, that's $200 more per season. Some of us spend that on a good weekend! It's really not that much more money, for those of us already attending games in the first place.

I'm just tired of the whole "Buffalo can't afford a new stadium" talk. I just don't think that's true, and if it is I'd love to see some figures that quantify it. And again, I'm not talking about Buffalo median incomes compared to other places. It's about disposable income relative to other NFL fan bases. I bet Buffalo isn't far off from other regions, after adjusting for cost of living.

You can solve the suite problem by charging a PSL for every seat. A good starting price would be $2,500 to $5,000 per 10 years.

65,000 seats * $3,750 average PSL 10 year PSL equates to $243,750,000 over 10 years or under $25 million per season.

The Buffalo luxury suites coupled with the Toronto series could then be used to finance the long-term debt servicing on the stadium.

You can solve the suite problem by charging a PSL for every seat. A good starting price would be $2,500 to $5,000 per 10 years.

65,000 seats * $3,750 average PSL 10 year PSL equates to $243,750,000 over 10 years or under $25 million per season.

The Buffalo luxury suites coupled with the Toronto series could then be used to finance the long-term debt servicing on the stadium.

if I had to pay $2,500+ for PSLs I would probably never attend a game again in my life. It would be over for me.

To add to that, no team in the league charges PSLs for EVERY seat. Even the Cowboys are just between the 20s. End zones are free and clear to my knowledge. That's where I sit, and like I said, if I had to pay that, they can kiss my money goodbye.

I've always been annoyed with RWs assumption that people can't pay more. I think he assumes they won't. And won't and can't aren't the same. This insistence that were all paupers makes it seem like the stadium is filled with the homeless. I went to a Sabres game last week and the tickets there are outrageously high for what are meaningless games. They sell for two reasons.. The team is generally good and the high prices make people feel like their in a small group who can afford it and People will pay for he idea of being exclusive.

They bills can charge higher prices but they need to compete first. Once they start winning,you van charge anything and people will pay. PSLs didn't work well for the jets in NYC so they not working here.

And don't waste you're time with Esmonde, he's another in a long line of hacks in the WNY media. If he stadium isn't on Elmwood so the hipsters can walk and ride their bikes, he'll poo poo the idea.

Personally, I don't see a market in Buffalo for "Luxury Suites." Buffalo no longer has the Industrial/Financial base to support them. They're only good if they're fully subscribed, with a waiting list, and I don't see that happening. Putting a lot of money into such a feature and then having to offer deep discounts to fill them, or worse, give them to NYS, makes no economic sense!

Likewise PSL's! PSL's are just a TAX and God knows WNY already has more than enough of that! Look at the mess the Jets are in over PSL's! People are walking away from the obligation!

IF we build a Stadium, it has to support itself on Ticket/event/parking revenue and forget all the financial voo doo of Luxuary Suites & PSL's

A good Corporate sponsor wouldn't hurt either. Oh wait, M&T Bank is sponsoring Baltimore???

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.