How many days and hours do you work per week

With the arrival of my first child, the thoughts having enough money is on my mind constantly. I am currently a teacher who makes ends meet, but needs more money for my wife and new baby. I have an open job offer to sell cars for Carmax. The good part is I will bring home around 1,200 extra per month. The bad thing is I will be away from my family a lot to get it. My wife has saved a decent amount of money and we should get an excellent tax return, so we will be able to keep my wife home until August and pay the mortgage for the next couple of months.

My question for you - especially the fathers out there, how much extra do you work and would you regret being away so much, but to ensure your most important family is ok??? I WOULD LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS.

Growing up, I saw my dad and plenty of other male relatives work countless hours to support the family.

I'm down to 40-42 hours week. Have to do a couple hours every Sunday morning.

Live within your means and enjoy your family. Downsize, if it means spending more time with them. Family is everything. Don't ever short them for the greenback.

With the arrival of my first child, the thoughts having enough money is on my mind constantly. I am currently a teacher who makes ends meet, but needs more money for my wife and new baby. I have an open job offer to sell cars for Carmax. The good part is I will bring home around 1,200 extra  per month. The bad thing is I will be away from my family a lot to get it. My wife has saved a decent amount of money and we should get an excellent tax return, so we will be able to keep my wife home until August  and pay the mortgage for the next couple of months.

My question for you - especially the fathers out there, how much extra do you work and would you regret being away so much, but to ensure your most important family is ok??? I WOULD LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS.

Growing up, I saw my dad and plenty of other male relatives work countless hours to support the family.

198042[/snapback]

wow, 7 days a week? That's a tough run, bro......I agree with bufftex......try to keep one day off. You still need to find some "me" time and "family" time, and you don't want your stress level to affect your primary postion as a teacher. With that said, congrats on the new addition to your family :D I used to be a very proud stepdad to twin boys prior to my divorce......I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to have a child of your own. I really respect the lengths you're willing to go to in order to care for your family. That's the mark of a true man. Good luck!

You won't be able to keep up the 7 days a week thing too long. Nobody can.

The only 2 things my wife and I ever fought about were money and child rearing. There's more to life than money and a child who grows up with their dad being too tired to spend time with them is seriously losing out.

Material things are nice but memories last a lifetime.

You can borrow my 15-year old son and teach him to drive next month when he turns 16.  :D

198066[/snapback]

LOL!

Very interesting question. I quit my job to start my own business exactly two days before wifey found out she was pregnant. This, of course, provided wonderful anxiety because it was important to me that my child have everything I did not have.

What a bunch of crap. I only realized after he was born that what is best for my son right now is to have BOTH his parents with him as much as feasibly possible. And quite frankly, it pains me to be away from him for any stretch of time. I'd rather live within my means and be with my son more than anything else in the world.

With the arrival of my first child, the thoughts having enough money is on my mind constantly. I am currently a teacher who makes ends meet, but needs more money for my wife and new baby. I have an open job offer to sell cars for Carmax. The good part is I will bring home around 1,200 extra  per month. The bad thing is I will be away from my family a lot to get it. My wife has saved a decent amount of money and we should get an excellent tax return, so we will be able to keep my wife home until August  and pay the mortgage for the next couple of months.

198042[/snapback]

I started my family much later than most and had worked my way into a position where I make decent money and work 38-40 hours per week. You need to find a happy medium. $1200 a month is not worth time away from your family. Would you also be leaving a profession you enjoy for one you are not sure of? Your question is a double edged sword. Perhaps cutting expenses the best you can , keeping your present job and possibly finding a local second job is best. It is your job to keep your family financially secure but you are considering a hell of a tradeoff and I hope you are looking at all options. YYou sure have your values in order... best of luck.

Great commercial on recently... (get to that in a second)

reminds me of my friend who works a TON of overtime just for the money, but NEVER has any fun.. EVER... now, for me at 24, this line means something completely different than what it does to you, but I think everyone can relate:

They pay you more for overtime because of the things you are missing to be at work.

198042[/snapback]

Here are my thoughts: Your first child will be just fine. Do the work and get the money. That your wife will be home is important. And not just until August. Mother being with child is vital; that is the prime responsibility - a cultural and genetic bond that cannot be denied.

If money for care and mortgage presses, don't waste dough on internet services or electronic gadgets. Or cars, or fancy stuff or dumping precious food bucks into the hands of restauranters.

Your time for influence on kiddo's life is a few years down the road. By all means, hug, squeeze, laugh, play with the tyke. When the time comes, when you come more into the picture, readjust the time/money equation.

Congratulations, Pop!

You'll do just fine, I am sure...

thank you to all who have responded. I am so unsure what is best. Each morning, as I get ready for work, my wife is sleeping with my son in the crook of her arm. They both look so peaceful, I have actually started to cry on a few occasions. I am torn, because I want so much for both of them. When I work hard, great things happen for me( and now us). My dad painted our local church at nights just so I could go to Catholic school. I owe Dylan love and the resources needed to give him a lifetime of good experiences. I understand all of your thoughts about missing out on watching him grow up.

Thank you to Alaska Darin for a nice response. Your responses to all of my posts have always been sarcastic, so I really appreciate your genuine remarks. Take care confused in Clearwater!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to Alaska Darin for a nice response. Your responses to all of my posts have always been sarcastic, so I really appreciate your genuine remarks. Take care confused in Clearwater!!!!!!!!!

198128[/snapback]

Serious subject. Serious response. Or I'm slipping. :devil:

Good luck to you!

I work 4 10 hour days per week(5:30 am-4 pm and 5 am start on Fridays),but sometimes the day is later or shorter,like Fridays are always anywhere between 1-2-2:30pm. My days off are Sunday,Wednesday,and Thursdays. Sometimes I go in for OT,just to get in my 40 hours.

198042[/snapback]

Could you get extra money doing other things? You're a teacher, could you tutor on the side or coach a team? Could you work one longer day instead of two days, thus giving yourself a day off? The good thing is that if you did start working selling cars, you could always quit if you weren't happy. The key, I think, is that you make sure that you keep a promise to yourself to quit if the cost is too great. Everyone has a tendency to accept the inertia of staying in a job that is taking a toll on them, don't let that happen to you.

My wife and I have five children, and we chose to have her leave teaching when we started our family. Alot of people tell me "We couldn't afford to do what you do", and my reply is, "No, you won't afford to do what we do." It is all a matter of priority. Our time with our children is going to be so short.

Our house is about 80 years old, but in decent shape.

I drive a '95 Caravan, also in decent shape.

ALDI canned vegetables look the same as the name brand stuff once the can is in the trash.

Rediscover the lost art of the casserole.

Tell me what you got for your bithday when you were 7 years old? Don't blow alot of money trying to impress your kids with stuff they will never remember. If you are never home they will sure remember that.

We waste so much time trying to pursue career, get bigger and better things, impess the neighbors. The only people in my neighborhood I want to impress are the one's under my roof.

My wife and I have five children, and we chose to have her leave teaching when we started our family.  Alot of people tell me "We couldn't afford to do what you do", and my reply is, "No, you won't afford to do what we do."  It is all a matter of priority.  Our time with our children is going to be so short. 

Our house is about 80 years old, but in decent shape.

I drive a '95 Caravan, also in decent shape.

ALDI canned vegetables look the same as the name brand stuff once the can is in the trash.

Rediscover the lost art of the casserole.

Tell me what you got for your bithday when you were 7 years old?  Don't blow alot of money trying to impress your kids with stuff they will never remember.  If you are never home they will sure remember that.

We waste so much time trying to pursue career, get bigger and better things, impess the neighbors.  The only people in my neighborhood I want to impress are the one's under my roof.

198255[/snapback]

Outstanding.