OT--Pats*Fans in a Nutshell

MattM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/sports/one-way-to-cheer-up-cheer-harder.html?ref=sports&_r=0

About two-thirds of the way through:

"A native of Buffalo, she has endured years of disappointment as a Bills fan, though she has lately found herself siding with the nearby New England Patriots.

“It’s actually fun to win for change,” she said. “I like being happy.” "

That probably describes more than half their national fanbase.....

I'm a lifelong die hard pats fan and let me tell you we have too many of these people around. I live in Mass and in the 1989-1992 span noone was a fan. I got season tickets in 1991 and it was very uncool in NEW ENGLAND to like the patriots or go to games unless a solid opponent was in. I love the pre-Parcells group of fans who can joke about players like Hart Lee Dykes and not think i'm making some rude comment about sexual orientation. I have strong respect for the Kraft bought the team group and the people who made season ticket purchases and have been a big part of banging out every pre,regular and postseason game since the Saints preseason game in 1994. The post 2001 fans are rediculous. Its a novelty to be a fan and occasionally go to a game and text people while telling people in front to sit down on third down. I ignore these people, i don't like them either and find them intolerable. Have a good offseason guys, looking forward to being at the Ralph for our annual trip. Many of your fans are just really cool people.

/Stunned silence

I'm a lifelong die hard pats fan and let me tell you we have too many of these people around. I live in Mass and in the 1989-1992 span noone was a fan. I got season tickets in 1991 and it was very uncool in NEW ENGLAND to like the patriots or go to games unless a solid opponent was in. I love the pre-Parcells group of fans who can joke about players like Hart Lee Dykes and not think i'm making some rude comment about sexual orientation. I have strong respect for the Kraft bought the team group and the people who made season ticket purchases and have been a big part of banging out every pre,regular and postseason game since the Saints preseason game in 1994. The post 2001 fans are rediculous. Its a novelty to be a fan and occasionally go to a game and text people while telling people in front to sit down on third down. I ignore these people, i don't like them either and find them intolerable. Have a good offseason guys, looking forward to being at the Ralph for our annual trip. Many of your fans are just really cool people.

Thanks for the positive affirmations directed at us and the negative ones directed at the fair-weather faction of your fandom.

I don't know how many of us visit the discussion forums for our AFC East rivals but it's cool that you dropped in.

Of course we hate your team with a vengeance so there's that too.

I can't really wish you a good season but thanks again for posting here.

Welcome to the Board, BL. That description kind of reminds me of Lawrence Maroney, who looked like a HOFer at times during his rookie year, running through or around people, but then seemed to shy away from contact more and more as his career went on. Very odd career arc....

BTW, what is your view of Stevan Ridley?

Curious to know how a knowledgeable New England fan views him?

As a fantasy football player who views RBs as gold I see a lot of value in Ridley FWIW. I watch a ton of football since I usually have about 9 teams for fantasy and I think he is the real deal.

I love his effort on every play. He hits the hole hard and gets what he can. My two worries are a short shelf life because of the hits he takes and his ability to hold onto the ball when its wet or cold.

As a fantasy football player who views RBs as gold I see a lot of value in Ridley FWIW. I watch a ton of football since I usually have about 9 teams for fantasy and I think he is the real deal.

Thank you both for the feedback.

I'm still very undecided about the guy.

I know he has talent but it seems there have been more flakes at running back then any other position. Like Matt points out with Maroney, some of these guys implode very quickly.

ndbuffcusefan. The two guys from this class i really like are Zac Stacy and Knile Davis. Proven sec runners, can play all three downs and flying under the radar. I've got a question and comment regarding the Bills

1. I think Doug Marrone is a hell of a coach and the next big name in the league. He went to Syracuse with the offensive lineman mentality of building a team from the inside out on both sides. He'll be happy to have the defensive line you've constructed and will work hard with the o-line should you lose Levitre. Warmack may not be a sexy pick but look at guys like Iupati as plug n play guards from day one. What are your thoughts on Marrone???

ndbuffcusefan. The two guys from this class i really like are Zac Stacy and Knile Davis. Proven sec runners, can play all three downs and flying under the radar. I've got a question and comment regarding the Bills

1. I think Doug Marrone is a hell of a coach and the next big name in the league. He went to Syracuse with the offensive lineman mentality of building a team from the inside out on both sides. He'll be happy to have the defensive line you've constructed and will work hard with the o-line should you lose Levitre. Warmack may not be a sexy pick but look at guys like Iupati as plug n play guards from day one. What are your thoughts on Marrone???

I hope I'm wrong, but it's a bit tough to get too enthused about someone who's main accomplishment to date has been turning a crappy college program into a mediocre one....

Yep the guy's defensive game plan with the Giants that beat the Bills was all because of Brady.

While the Giants defensive game plan in SB25 was good, it was their OFFENSIVE game plan of pounding the football and keeping out of Buffalo's hands that won them that game. The Bills scored 19 pts in 19 minutes (ok take away the safety), but still 17 offensive pts in 19 minutes isn't shabby.

While the Giants defensive game plan in SB25 was good, it was their OFFENSIVE game plan of pounding the football and keeping out of Buffalo's hands that won them that game. The Bills scored 19 pts in 19 minutes (ok take away the safety), but still 17 offensive pts in 19 minutes isn't shabby.

They'd have scored more if Reed didn't start hearing footsteps.

Yup. The game plan was just to sell out vs the pass, frequently dropping 8 or even 9 men into coverage. The result was that the Bills ran it right down their throats: 25 rushes, 166 yards, 6.6 ypc, 2 rushing TDs. The Giants defense did OK but they didn't really stop the Bills offense. The problem was that the Bills defense couldn't get off the field. I don't see what the Giants defensive game plan had to do with that.

Edited by vincec

They'd have scored more if Reed didn't start hearing footsteps.

They would have won the game if Reed hadn't heard footsteps. If I recall correctly, consecutive 2nd quarter drive-ending drops when we had a 12-3 lead. Score, and NYG would have had to think about throwing, rather than pounding out a ten-minute half ending drive.

Now you've gone and made me sad...