Bills are placing franchise tag on S Jairus Byrd.

At least with the Jauron/Levy philosophy there was a coherency to their offensive and defensive schemes. I strenuously disagreed with their approach but at least I was able to understand what they were doing.

You did? You are going to have to help me out John, I had no clue what Jauron was doing. I always felt he was trying to build a small, fast team built to play in a dome.

Whatever Nix has intended to do he has miserably failed to execute his plan.

Nix's plan is blatantly obvious -build the lines. Re-sign Kyle WIlliams, draft Dareus/Carrington, bring in Mario/Anderson. Urbik, Pears, Reinhart, Hairston, Cordy Glenn. And I agree 100% with this philosophy. And as crazy as this sounds, (and I know I will be mocked), he has done a good job building the lines (yes I know we win 6 games every year). Maybe I have been drinking too much Kool-aid, but if Nix decides to let Levitre walk, I'm actually going to defer to his judgement on this one.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at our roster and maddingly conclude that no unit (OL, DL, LB, DB, receiver corps, qb) is at the area of the spectrum of being very good with the exception of our running back tandem of Spiller and Jackson. Even our backfield is somewhat neutralized because we don't have a qb who can adequately pass the ball and open up the field for them.

What the heck has Nix done to this franchise? It is a mess. How many holes have to be filled? It's like we are starting all over again! When you look at Nix's drafting and roster it's as if there is no thought and coherency. At least with the Jauron/Levy philosophy there was a coherency to their offensive and defensive schemes. I strenuously disagreed with their approach but at least I was able to understand what they were doing. Whatever Nix has intended to do he has miserably failed to execute his plan. How many times do the Bills have to undo and redo what they originally did? It's crazy!

It's simply outrageous that Nix is still involved with this year's draft and player decisions. Would you go back to an incompetent surgeon and ask him to fix what he has screwed up? Brandon had the chance to start fresh and establish a new organizational culture where accountability was taken seriously. He kept Nix on the job. What does that say about the new Brandon era?

I can only think of two reasons why Nix is still with the Buffalo Bills.

First, Nix has spent the entire year during the season scouting (instead of doing his job as GM and watching over his HC/ DC and team), and I expect that Russ doesn't want to dismiss Nix and give a different team the benefit of Nix's work from his year of scouting.

Second, Buddy Nix was Ralph Wilson's hire and he nearly broke his arm patting himself on his own back for that hire. (Wilson is still under the impression it was Buddy Nix who built that 2005 Chargers team with 8 pro bowlers) I think history has shown that neither AJ Smith nor Buddy Nix built that team as most of the players were from John Butler era, and Marty Schottenheimer must have had a big input. Both Nix and Smith have done nothing but stink it up the last 5+ years.So the fact that Nix is still the GM might be saying that Russ Brandon doesn't have all the power.

When I look at his last 3 years of drafting and free agency the only thing that I see is band aids all over the place from the waiver wire. Save the 100 million spent on a DE because he was unable to find one in the draft. The only drafted players that are starting and making any kind of impact are first round draft picks.

Ralph Wilson fired Tom Donahoe for going 31-48 from 2001-2005, he drafted only 3 players to make the pro bowl. So exactly how many pro bowlers has Buddy Nix drafted in his 3 years??

This is the man who will choose the Bills next franchise QB?

You did? You are going to have to help me out John, I had no clue what Jauron was doing. I always felt he was trying to build a small, fast team built to play in a dome.

Nix's plan is blatantly obvious -build the lines. Re-sign Kyle WIlliams, draft Dareus/Carrington, bring in Mario/Anderson. Urbik, Pears, Reinhart, Hairston, Cordy Glenn. And I agree 100% with this philosophy. And as crazy as this sounds, (and I know I will be mocked), he has done a good job building the lines (yes I know we win 6 games every year). Maybe I have been drinking too much Kool-aid, but if Nix decides to let Levitre walk, I'm actually going to defer to his judgement on this one.

Marv Levy had the vision of the "greatest show on snow" when he hired OC Steve Fairchild away from the Rams to run that high octane passing offense in Buffalo. Then he rebuilt the O line with high priced free agents to protect the QB. He went about it the wrong way, should have drafted for the O line first thing, even if it takes 3 years to develop those players. Then Jim McNally the vaunted O line coach retired and that line went to hell because of promoting an assistant O line coach to replace him.

Jauron tore it all apart once Marv retired, and screwed himself by refusing to hire established OC's that knew how to run an offense.

At least Marv tried to find a QB when he drafted Trent Edwards with a 3rd rounder. He must have seen then that JP Losman wasn't going to get it done.

Its not a QB thread. Its not an Andy Levitre thread. Its not a Buddy Nix thread. Its not a whatever else in umpteen pages thread.

Its a Jairus Byrd thread.

Fellas, we just put the franchise tag on one of the best safeties in the NFL. Spin it however you want. I for one am psyched. Looking way forward to watching Jairus continue to make big plays for this team.

This is outstanding news. yahoo.gif

Thanx,

jb

Edited by jaybee

As infuriating as the Jauron's light and quick defensive approach was it outperformed Nix's defenses in which he spent a lot of draft picks and resources. There is no doubt that Nix wanted to make the defense and offense bigger and stronger along the lines. He did accomplish that. So what! What can't be disputed is that Jauron/Levy's teams had a better record than Nix's teams. If you are going to harshly judge the prior regime then use that same measuring standard to Nix's regime.

The bottom line in a bottom line business is that Nix's record during his tenure is 16-32. His teams were for the most part incapable of beating teams with winning records. His overall draft record has been dismal, being outshined by the Jauron/Levy/Modrak crew. Ultimately it doesn't matter if you have a better football philosophy than anyone else if you can't competently execute your plan. Nix in general not only failed in his overall evaluaton of players but just as damaging is that he has little understanding on how to build a roster. If you don't accept my position then just look at his record.

Its not a QB thread. Its not an Andy Levitre thread. Its not a Buddy Nix thread. Its not a whatever else in umpteen pages thread.

Fellas, we just put the franchise tag on one of the best safeties in the NFL. Spin it however you want. I for one am psyched. Looking way forward to watching Jairus continue to make big plays for this team.

Thanx,

jb

You're right, my bad, this went way off the subject (but that's easy to do). The franchising of Byrd is a great move and I'm very confident we will get a 5-6 year deal worked out with him before training camp. I'll carry my torch for Nix in another thread.

Thanx,

jb

It's good news.

It'll be outstanding news when Jairus Byrd has been signed to a long-term contract.

Otherwise he'll be a free agent again next year.

As infuriating as the Jauron's light and quick defensive approach was it outperformed Nix's defenses in which he spent a lot of draft picks and resources. There is no doubt that Nix wanted to make the defense and offense bigger and stronger along the lines. He did accomplish that. So what! What can't be disputed is that Jauron/Levy's teams had a better record than Nix's teams. If you are going to harshly judge the prior regime then use that same measuring standard to Nix's regime.

The bottom line in a bottom line business is that Nix's record during his tenure is 16-32. His teams were for the most part incapable of beating teams with winning records. His overall draft record has been dismal, being outshined by the Jauron/Levy/Modrak crew. Ultimately it doesn't matter if you have a better football philosophy than anyone else if you can't competently execute your plan. Nix in general not only failed in his overall evaluaton of players but just as damaging is that he has little understanding on how to build a roster. If you don't accept my position then just look at his record.

Plus, the difference makers on last year's team came on board before super scout was named GM ...

Plus, the difference makers on last year's team came on board before super scout was named GM ...

Jairus Byrd is a difference maker. Be proud as a fan to have him on our roster.

......and Vader you are right. We need to lock him down long term if he stays healthy and I sure hope he does stay healthy.

....and Qcity....no worries. S'all good Bro.

jb

Edited by jaybee

Nothing is certain, but those saying it's a certainty that Levitre's gone are ignoring the current regime's track record of not losing anyone they've made an effort to keep/acquire.

To be objective, the Bills attempted to keep Poz and Whitner and failed.

Regardless of people's opinions of those two players, they are both solid pros who've contributed to their new teams and whose departure has left unfilled holes in Buffalo.

When was he drafted?

Regardless of people's opinions of those two players, they are both solid pros who've contributed to their new teams and whose departure has left unfilled holes in Buffalo.

I agree that we have not replaced Poz, and I hope we address this area in either free agency or the draft or both.

I disagree about Whitner. George Wilson did as just as good, if not a better job at SS than Whitner did.

Edited by Mark Vader

I agree that we have not replaced Poz, and I hope we address this area in either free agency or the draft or both.

I disagree about Whitner. George Wilson did as just as good, if not a better job at SS than Whitner did.

Regarding Wilson, I meant what I wrote from the standpoint that Wilson is now gone so IF the hole was filled, it was only temporarily filled.

A technicality perhaps.

What if??

49ers FA FS Gholdson isn't going to be franchised again. Seeing how the niners paid top dollar for him last year (F-Tag) and they need to fill the void if they lose him to free agency this year, might they entertain negotiating a deal for Byrd's services? I mean they've got to fill that hole with a competent FS if Gholdson leaves.

Bills have the right to match any offer Byrd gets from another sutior. If they decline, that team would have to give up two number ones to the Bills. However, no team would do that. But there has been a case or two in which the two teams involved agreed on lesser compensation and negotiated a single #1 pick.

If something like this were to be considered between the Bills and niners, the first rd. Pick that the niners would potentially give up is #31. Essentially a borderline 2nd rd. Pick... and it has been rumored they have too many picks and would like to shed some, plus with their talent it is unlikely they' garner an immediate starter at #31. And, after trading Alex Smith, it should clear enough cap space for them to accomodate Byrd. And, I would think that Byrd would be ecstatic about leaving the Bills to go to a Super Bowl favorite.

Just sayin.

Regarding Wilson, I meant what I wrote from the standpoint that Wilson is now gone so IF the hole was filled, it was only temporarily filled.

A technicality perhaps.

I see your point.

I still don't miss Whitner.

Whitner is solid... but you don't pay top $$ to solid. Poz is average and not highly regarded. Again, you don't pay Poz what Jax paid for being average.

You nailed it when you stated the Bills did not adequately address filling the voids those two left. That has definitely been the Bills method of operation... cut JP and replace with Edwards. Get draft pix for Peters and replace him with Bell. Cut Teague, which was ok, but replacing him with Hangman, someone who was as bad, was typical.

I've stated it more than once... it's not the so much the fact that the Bills cut or let players walk ... what is totally incompetent, irresponsible, and reprehensible, as you suggest, is not filling those voids with players AS GOOD or BETTER than what they let go.

Edited by Dr. Trooth