Problem solved! QB and WR college team mate draft

rayray808

Been looking at every mock draft under the sun daily, just like all of you, and I finally figured out our solution towards making the playoffs...

Focus our entire draft on getting a QB/WR combo that fit our system, and work well together. You add this component with Spiller/Stevie, a revamped/motivated defensive front, and I am pretty sure we can sniff the playoffs.

Most likely situation; if Chiefs did indeed pull the trigger on Alex Smith, and zona takes Geno... (60% chance this happens IMO)

#1) Matt Barkley - QB USC

#2) Robert Woods - WR USC

If Cheifs landed Smith, and Cardinals pass on a QB... (20% chance this happens IMO)

#1) Geno Smith - QB WV

#2) Tavon Austin - WR WV

If Chiefs take Geno, Cardinals take Barkley... (10% chance this happens IMO)

#1) Cordarelle Patterson - WR TENN

#2) Tyler Bray - QB TENN (over drafting him at 2, but we need a qb... bad)

If Chiefs take Geno, Cardinals take Barkley... and we think Glennon can drop or Nassib is the guy (10% chane this happens IMO)

#1) Werner/Jordan - DE FSU/OREG

#2) Glennon or Nassib or Wilson - QB

#3) WR with raw skill and talent - Hamilton/Bailey/Williams

Rationale: A QB and WR who are familiar with each other, who can grow together. The WR will have Stevie to help him understand the position, and the QB will have a new staff that will enforce a culture or pride/hard work. Our young QB has CJ Spiller to hand the ball off to, which will allow him to slowly progress and work down the field throws and quick slants to Stevie.

Let's face it. We need to try and swing for homeruns at this point. We have been a stagnant franchise, who in the last few years, tried to create a spark via free agency (T.O, Mario, etc.). The missing component, has, and always will be a franchise QB.

Risk vs Reward - if you QB pans out, you are set for years to come and have an actual franchise in place. If your QB does not pan out, you end up with a high draft pick and can try it again with Johny Manziel, or the following year with whoever comes out in the draft. In my opinion, I would rather go down every season swinging for the fenses than working hard for a 500 record.

In my perfect world: We get Geno and Tavon... link them up with CJ and Stevie... the only time Geno runs is towards the sidelines for a 4-8 yard gain (think Luck and Rodgers type scrambling - NOT griffin/kapernick sytle). run, run, run with CJ and Freddy (if he stays) and let Stevie and Tavon work the open gaps during play action. We immediately have one of the fastest teams in football, staying on the field, burning clock, and letting our defensive front rest for their break out season. GO BILLS

I like your idea. It makes sense and it seems like this year lends itself to this strategy much more than recent years.

On a tangent, I actually do this in fantasy football. I had Manning-Decker last year (someone nabbed Thomas before I could grab him) and the two years previous I had Ryan-Roddy White.

Buddy said he wanted an outside receiver that was big and would be open even when he's covered. I don't think we take either of the WVU guys, because they're not real big and Bailey drops the ball too much. I guess Barkley and Woods could be an option with this theory, but I don't think that would be ideal. I would be good with Patterson and Bray if it were to happen like this with the teammates, but I would be happier with Patterson and Tyler Wilson, if he's there in the second round.

I like the idea, but to be honest i dont think the QB and WR have to come from the same school. If they are drafted together and rookies together going through the same process that will be enough to create a connection (a la Dalton - Green). I say we take the best available if we're going to follow a QB/WR with the first 2 draft picks.

• 1 month later...

TWO MONTHS FROM MY ORIGINAL POST...

seems like Barkley/Woods is going to be the aim for this draft... some may not like it, but I think it is a great move by our franchise. Our defense is ready to emerge, and with a young QB and WR, we have a real chance to develop this year.

TWO MONTHS FROM MY ORIGINAL POST...

seems like Barkley/Woods is going to be the aim for this draft... some may not like it, but I think it is a great move by our franchise. Our defense is ready to emerge, and with a young QB and WR, we have a real chance to develop this year.

I think its the smart move.

Its not just that they played together and have cohesiveness (because Kolb could very well start the season) its because they are both good.

If that's the call, then I support Wilson/Hamilton from ARK... Cobi Hamilton is a TOP reciever in this draft. I expect his production to be insane as a pro.

I'd be just as happy with Wilson/Hamilton - especially if that were to mean we could spend our 1st pick on another position of need - as I would with Barkley/Woods, or, if we go Nassib early, I'd not be at all surprised to see Lemon drafted in the 5th or 6th round; I think Lemon is underrated in this draft, and could be our 4th or 5th WR.