Complete Write-off Season?

I'm curious, is anyone else getting a vibe that Marrone might be looking at this season and thinking "Well, there's no way we're going to win so let's get rid of the dead wood." ?

.....our problems are too severe and too numerous to make a winning team with the players here and we need a purging fire and at least two drafts to get back on track.

By definition, "dead wood" means:

people in a group or organization who are not useful any more and who need to be removed.

Getting rid of the dead wood should(and does) occur every year in accordance to said dead wood's cap structure.

I can't fathom how people can think that getting rid of the dead wood could in any way mean we are using a purging fire to clean house.

I hope it is honestly. I know fans consistently B word about this but we really need to have a pure crap season where we finish 1 or 2 in the draft then address QB with a top Talent

The idea that you need to finish last to have a chance at a great QB is utterly incorrect. Four of the last five SB winning QB's were selected with the 11th pick or later. FOUR OF THE LAST FIVE. Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers and Flacco. Eli Manning is actually the EXCEPTION.

Brees and Flacco were there for the taking. Roethlisberger could have been had by trading up a couple spots.......what they did to get Losman anyway. And Rodgers could have been drafted with the pick that was traded away for Losman.

The story has two morals:

first, you miss 100% of the chances you don't take

second, if you think a QB in the draft is good enough to be your starter......then be ALL-IN on him. Don't skip him once so you can get a WR, or DB or TE or whatever other position.

If this new HC is worth anything he will have the team on track to have a winning season THIS YEAR. He has a basic core of good players on both sides of the ball.

I realize there are quite a few positions that need upgrading. LB, WR, QB, TE. The fact he is dumping some of the WR's & LBers on the team tells me he isn't satisfied with the sub par players at those positions. This also tells me he knows how to evaluate talent better then his predecessor.

I'm hoping the Bills go WR at #1 in Patterson, and either draft a QB in the 2nd or move back up into the first to get one. Lotta trust in this new HC to see if he knows what he is doing, and we all should know by the time the season starts.

I have to say, I have no confidence in this coaching staff, except for the defensive guy they got from the Jets. The David Nelson decision is inexplicable to me (and I'm not saying he's a great receiver, but you don't get better by ditching guys like him on a team that has spotty receiving to begin with). The complete loser hired as special teams coach.

I expect a 3-win season at this point, with not much prospect of it getting better as time goes on. I'm thinking this is another Gregg Williams staff.

It's funny, because I tend to be an optimist w/regard to the Bills. So maybe I'll be wrong about this too and they'll make the playoffs.

Ask me after FA and the draft and Ill let you know.

My gut is this team will be a hell of a lot better because the defense will you know, play defense

Yep.

Let's start with this presumption. Marrone should do better next year than the Bills did this year. He should be in the running for the division title in year 2 and he should be in playoffs by year 3. This honeymoon concept of "wasting" a year is bull. You have a good solid draft, get an actual player who can help you in free agency, and develop a playbook. You are either moving forward or you are moving backward.

Yep.

Yes exactly. Bringing in Pettine is the best move the front office will do all offseason. There is noway, with the players on the defense the Bills had last year they should of been that bad. Most of it had to be coaching. & yes we need a few LBs but other then that I think this defense should be much improved over last year.

Yep.

No, he's just culling players that he absolutely knows this team cannot win with. None of the players let go are not going to start anywhere or even compete for a starting job.

Consider it addition by subtraction

And yep.

I have to say, I have no confidence in this coaching staff, except for the defensive guy they got from the Jets. The David Nelson decision is inexplicable to me (and I'm not saying he's a great receiver, but you don't get better by ditching guys like him on a team that has spotty receiving to begin with). The complete loser hired as special teams coach.

I expect a 3-win season at this point, with not much prospect of it getting better as time goes on. I'm thinking this is another Gregg Williams staff.

It's funny, because I tend to be an optimist w/regard to the Bills. So maybe I'll be wrong about this too and they'll make the playoffs.

I will take the over for $100.

Did anyone hear/read Rex Ryan's comments the other day? I'm only paraphrasing, but Ryan certainly hinted the Bills already have a lot of talent on defense and he expects Pettine to make hay with those guys.

I don't believe cutting over-valued players like Wilson, Barnett, Jones, and Nelson is a sign of "writing off" the season. Rather, I see it as a sign the new/old regime is looking to improve at all levels.

Until they find the answer at QB, though, all they're really doing is herding cats.

I laughed at this pretty good , Thanks!

Looks like they are going to build the team off the quarterback yet to be drafted.

I dont believe it's addition by subtraction at all. It's just subtraction at this point. We have not really added any players, I mean we resigned Whaley but..Lordy i hope they are going to add players soon. And players with upside. Not players to " quicken the transition" such as dirty OLD jets or every Syracuse player available.

But the trooth is it's too early to call. The FA and draft are something i am really looking forward to this year.

Go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12