K Mike Nugent Stats - Last 3 Years For Buckeyes

Mark VI

You also have to put into account that the NFL ball itself is different than the one used in colleges. . .plus, while Nugent did kick at a college somewhat near the WNY area, kicking in Ralph Wilson Stadium is something totally different and a kicker needs to master the art of doing so in that place. So there may be some learning curve for him in the beginning. . .

However, getting him in the 2nd round would not be a horrible idea because this guy is solid. I don't think Tom Donahoe would ever do it, but you never know -- someone start a petition.

197094[/snapback]

How do the two balls differ? (seriously, you know the numbers?)

But, Im guessing if the kid can kick the ball 60+yards (I'm tellin ya, I saw him kick it at least that far kickin either a 54 or 55 yarder on TV) in a game situation in college, he miiiiight be able to nail a 28 yarder in crunch time for the Bills.

The thing about college kickers is they're always kicking from a tee.  They don't usually have too tough of an adjustment to make kicking from an artificial surface.  Where they have the problem is kicking on a grass surface.  So, before you draft a kicker higher than Round 3, you better damn well do your homework and work him out real good... cuz once you draft him in round 1 or 2, you're gonna own that superstar or bust for a few years.

There's no question in my mind that Lindell is a journeyman/fill in type kicker at best and has to get cut.  How he gets a regular gig on any NFL team, let alone the fat contract he has, is a mystery.  If the bills do cut him however, I don't think it will be before June 1... and he may even go to camp... but I seriously doubt he'll be with the team on opening day next season.

197084[/snapback]

Are you talking about for FG's? I thought they couldn't use tee's anymore in college for FGs?

Kickoffs on the other hand.... :P

I think if Nugent is there for our 2nd round pick, pick him up and we won't have to worry about FG kicking for many, many years.

197105[/snapback]

Wouldnt that be nice... instead of playing the crap shoot that is drafting a NFL guard/Tackle.

The thing about college kickers is they're always kicking from a tee.  They don't usually have too tough of an adjustment to make kicking from an artificial surface.  Where they have the problem is kicking on a grass surface.  So, before you draft a kicker higher than Round 3, you better damn well do your homework and work him out real good... cuz once you draft him in round 1 or 2, you're gonna own that superstar or bust for a few years.

There's no question in my mind that Lindell is a journeyman/fill in type kicker at best and has to get cut.  How he gets a regular gig on any NFL team, let alone the fat contract he has, is a mystery.  If the bills do cut him however, I don't think it will be before June 1... and he may even go to camp... but I seriously doubt he'll be with the team on opening day next season.

197084[/snapback]

They don't kick field goals off a tee in college anymore.

I think Nugent would be a pretty good pick by the Bills but using a 2nd on him might be stretching it a little. I don't think they have Kickers slotted to make that kind of money (bonus + salary) with the exception of Janikowski who was a 1st round pick by Al Davis. I wouldn't be surprised to see TD look hard at somebody like Tyler Jones from Boise State who actually put up similar percentage numbers to Nugent but might not have quite as strong of a leg. Jones probably kicked in the same conditions in Boise and other venues that he would in Buffalo so that wouldn't be a factor and he could probably be had for a 6th or 7th round pick. Just some food for thought.

If Nugent was there in round 3 or 4 though, I would hope TD would consider it.

Maybe TD could trade up to the beginning of the 3rd round and get nugent.

That way we get our 2nd and lose our 3rd and maybe a 5th?

197150[/snapback]

I honestly dont see Nugent escaping the 2nd round. If we dont get him, I feel certain that a team like the Vikings will take him with their 2nd rounder after our selection.

For me, I'd have to see a HUGE name drop to the 2nd round in order to sway me from picking Nugent. We finally have a chance to land a weapon...a surefire thing who can consistently boot long FGs in crappy weather and send kickoffs amazingly deep. This is our guy.

Nugent lives in my area (Centerville, OH). Don't even begin to compare him with Janikowski - this kid is a quality person with a solid head on his shoulders. I would love to see him play for the Bills, and that's coming from a Michigan fan. There would suddenly be a lot of Bills fans around here if he were to be drafted by them.

Nugent lives in my area (Centerville, OH).  Don't even begin to compare him with Janikowski - this kid is a quality person with a solid head on his shoulders.  I would love to see him play for the Bills, and that's coming from a Michigan fan.  There would suddenly be a lot of Bills fans around here if he were to be drafted by them.

197204[/snapback]

What makes me like him even more is that he seems to be a perfect Buffalo type of guy. Very low-key, but with a bizzare fan following (I saw an Ohio State game with a bunch of people in the endzone with a sign that read "Nuge's Nook"). The guy would be an absolute perfect fit in Buffalo.

What makes me like him even more is that he seems to be a perfect Buffalo type of guy.  Very low-key, but with a bizzare fan following (I saw an Ohio State game with a bunch of people in the endzone with a sign that read "Nuge's Nook").  The guy would be an absolute perfect fit in Buffalo.

197213[/snapback]

How sweet would it be to go to the Ralph and see a good portion of the fans sporting the jersey of either the kicker or the punter!

haha..

So, if Nugent is consistantly kicking the ball into the end zone in college (5 yards in) then he will kick it to the goal line. That's about 10-15 yards better than what Lindell can do.

Over the course of the season this yardage difference will give the defense and offense better field position.

Instead of the other team starting at the 25-35+ most of the time, they will start at the 15-25. That's huge.

A couple of responses to some questions being asked

1. A college football has the same dimensions as a NFL football, it also the same dimensions as a high school football.

2. College kickers no longer use tees, and for those wondering Nugent kicks off grass at the horseshoe.

3. The width of college goal posts is now the same as pro (they used to be wider)

4. The hash marks in college are a couple yards outside the goal posts. In pro they are on the goal posts.

One last thing, I have watched Nugent plenty of times over the last three years. I have never seen a better college kicker and would be shocked if he makes it to the second round.

A couple of responses to some questions being asked

1. A college football has the same dimensions as a NFL football, it also the same dimensions as a high school football.

2. College kickers no longer use tees, and for those wondering Nugent kicks off grass at the horseshoe.

3.  The width of college goal posts is now the same as pro (they used to be wider)

4. The hash marks in college are a couple yards outside the goal posts. In pro they are on the goal posts. 

One last thing, I have watched Nugent plenty of times over the last three years. I have never seen a better college kicker and would be shocked if he makes it to the second round.

197691[/snapback]

He'll definitely make it to the 2nd round, no team (sans the Raiders) would be so foolish to draft a kicker in the 1st. How far he makes it down in the 2nd round is up for debate however.

Nugent lives in my area (Centerville, OH).  Don't even begin to compare him with Janikowski - this kid is a quality person with a solid head on his shoulders.  I would love to see him play for the Bills, and that's coming from a Michigan fan.  There would suddenly be a lot of Bills fans around here if he were to be drafted by them.

197204[/snapback]

Nuge was elected a captain by his team. Tells you something about the kind of guy and teammate he is.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of picking him.

Some reasons why we might get him. (other than he is great)

-It takes balls to take a kicker high. Who's are GM again?

-It could be very possible that he is the best player on the board. Who's are GM agian?

-It could make our special teams more amazing than they already are. Can you imagine in two years maybe having him, moorman and McGee all in the Pro Bowl.

-very good guards and centers and still be found in the third and fourth round.

IMO

OUT