Fitz ranked 43 out of 65 NFL Quarterbacks

BuffBill

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His name is Matt Miller:

Bleacher Report's NFL Draft Lead Writer, Miller is also the founder of the NFL draft site New Era Scouting. Matt's work has been featured in Madden 13, on ESPN radio, SiriusXM, NFL.com, SI.com and USA Today as well as utilized by NFL, CFL and AFL teams. Matt was the secondary and special teams coordinator for the three-time league champion Joplin Crusaders of the Central Football League. Matt is also a member of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Good enough for those organizations but not good enough to be able to link to this site?

frankly, what you just listed could be the resume for the greatest writer ever, or likely closer to the truth a stay at home dad that took a quick football writing class and was smart enough to coin a good twitter handle. sounds like hes a lot closer to Damond Talbot (no offense, i admire your effort damond, just at a totally different place in your career than the top dogs) than charlie casserly here(to use a name that has worked for nfl teams and those outlets).

which nfl teams are using matts work again?

and the assessment, if whats posted was accurate, wasnt very good. lets be honest, theres a reason you introduced him as "one of the NFL drafts lead writers" instead of by name or actual resume.

The article said Fitz was accurate. :lol: The complete thought is written like this:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (6'2", 225 pounds, eight seasons) is an accurate, smart quarterback who has a good feel for space but can lack awareness on timing and ball placement. How can you be both accurate and lack awareness on ball placement? :doh:

Also said: Fitzpatrick errs on the side of checking down to backs instead of taking chances down the field with wide receivers in 50/50 situations. I disagree with that. too.

The assessment on Fitz was ....eh.

essentially that says to me the guy is aware fitz isnt getting the job done, but he really doesnt know why. hes accurate (ie can hit his desired window) and smart implies he should do well picking his windows, but at the same time also doesnt throw to the right spots (but not for lack of accuracy or intelligence).

Edited by NoSaint

frankly, what you just listed could be the resume for the greatest writer ever, or likely closer to the truth a stay at home dad that took a quick football writing class and was smart enough to coin a good twitter handle. sounds like hes a lot closer to Damond Talbot (no offense, i admire your effort damond, just at a totally different place in your career than the top dogs) than charlie casserly here(to use a name that has worked for nfl teams and those outlets).

which nfl teams are using matts work again?

and the assessment, if whats posted was accurate, wasnt very good. lets be honest, theres a reason you introduced him as "one of the NFL drafts lead writers" instead of by name or actual resume.

essentially that says to me the guy is aware fitz isnt getting the job done, but he really doesnt know why. hes accurate (ie can hit his desired window) and smart implies he should do well picking his windows, but at the same time also doesnt throw to the right spots (but not for lack of accuracy or intelligence).

Might be a plausible explanation, but anyone who has really watched Fitz knows he's often inaccurate even when he properly diagnoses coverage and throws to the right receiver.

He actually has had the habit of trying force the ball into tight windows despite his physical lack of arm strength. The writer said Fitz was conservative and more of a checkdown QB. Again wrong, that was Trent Edwards' MO. Fitz has had the rep of being a gunslinger.

Bottom line of not being a good QB is correct as you stated however.

The author sounds more legit than most others on b/r; i know they've tried to legitimize themselves by hiring a few "professional" writers.

The reason the mods block b/r links is because hiring a few pros in an attempt to lessen the stink over there just isn't fooling anyone. Not when pitted against the crushing tidal wave of useless, stupid nonsense that is 99% of their content.

The author sounds more legit than most others on b/r; i know they've tried to legitimize themselves by hiring a few "professional" writers.

The reason the mods block b/r links is because hiring a few pros in an attempt to lessen the stink over there just isn't fooling anyone. Not when pitted against the crushing tidal wave of useless, stupid nonsense that is 99% of their content.

Bleacher Report will soon be affiliated with CNN and SI.com will then become a UFA.

Might be a plausible explanation, but anyone who has really watched Fitz knows he's often inaccurate even when he properly diagnoses coverage and throws to the right receiver.

He actually has had the habit of trying force the ball into tight windows despite his physical lack of arm strength. The writer said Fitz was conservative and more of a checkdown QB. Again wrong, that was Trent Edwards' MO. Fitz has had the rep of being a gunslinger.

Bottom line of not being a good QB is correct as you stated however.

i was getting at how whacky the guys feedback on him really was.

ultimately my own assessment is fitz lacks the arm strength to make all the throws. what that ends up doing is that he either has to really try to wing it down field with everything he has and it gets inaccurate or likewise there are sometimes windows that he isnt sure he can make it into but (especially late in games) he has to take his shot anyway. sometimes those work, most days it does not. hence we get a guy that has a career losing record, a lot of interceptions, but also can have 4 td days against a good defense. his choices arent terrible but he has to take more risks based on a lack of physical ability if hes going to stand a chance. probability says that will lead to a lot of tough days, but sometimes he rolls the dice and it hits yahtzee.

Edited by NoSaint

i was getting at how whacky the guys feedback on him really was.

ultimately my own assessment is fitz lacks the arm strength to make all the throws. what that ends up doing is that he either has to really try to wing it in there with everything he has and it gets inaccurate or likewise there are sometimes windows that he isnt sure he can make it into but (especially late in games) he has to take his shot anyway. sometimes those work, most days it does not. hence we get a guy that has a career losing record, a lot of interceptions, but also can have 4 td days against a good defense. his choices arent terrible but he has to take more risks based on a lack of physical ability if hes going to stand a chance.

No argument with your assessment.

Based on 5 different areas of play (Accuracy, Arm Strength, Decision Making, Mechanics and Mobility), Fitz came out at #43 out of 65 quarterbacks. Could be worse, the Cardinals had #'s 64 & 65 and the Jets had #63 (Sanchez) and #62 (Tebow). Clear to see why most people with common sense feel the QB position is an urgency for the Bills. Would post the link but one of the Administrators don't like Bleacher Report, although the article is written by one of the NFL Draft's lead writers and is pretty thorough.

Bleacher is getting a lot better and you should post the link anyway.

So what they are saying is he worse than other teams backups, ouch.

Bring in Alex Smith.

Based on 5 different areas of play (Accuracy, Arm Strength, Decision Making, Mechanics and Mobility), Fitz came out at #43 out of 65 quarterbacks. Could be worse, the Cardinals had #'s 64 & 65 and the Jets had #63 (Sanchez) and #62 (Tebow). Clear to see why most people with common sense feel the QB position is an urgency for the Bills. Would post the link but one of the Administrators don't like Bleacher Report, although the article is written by one of the NFL Draft's lead writers and is pretty thorough.

"Who is the best quarterback in the NFL based on the 2012 season? Who's No. 10? No. 30? No. 60?

Our B/R 1000 NFL series is back, taking a look at each position by scouting, charting, grading and finally ranking each player.

The B/R 1,000 metric is based heavily on scouting each player and grading the key criteria for each position. The criteria are weighted according to importance for a possible best score of 100.

Potential is not taken into consideration. Nor are career accomplishments.

Quarterbacks are judged on accuracy (30 points), arm strength (20), decision making (30), mechanics (15) and mobility (5).

In the case of ties, I have asked myself, "Which player would I rather have on my team?" and set the rankings accordingly.

Subjective? Yes. But ties are no fun.

Each player was scouted by myself and a team of experienced evaluators, with these key criteria in mind. The following scouting reports and grades are the work of months of film study from our team."

yep can't post the link, never seen that before.

Bleacher is getting a lot better and you should post the link anyway.

So what they are saying is he worse than other teams backups, ouch.

Bring in Alex Smith.

"Who is the best quarterback in the NFL based on the 2012 season? Who's No. 10? No. 30? No. 60?

Our B/R 1000 NFL series is back, taking a look at each position by scouting, charting, grading and finally ranking each player.

The B/R 1,000 metric is based heavily on scouting each player and grading the key criteria for each position. The criteria are weighted according to importance for a possible best score of 100.

Potential is not taken into consideration. Nor are career accomplishments.

Quarterbacks are judged on accuracy (30 points), arm strength (20), decision making (30), mechanics (15) and mobility (5).

In the case of ties, I have asked myself, "Which player would I rather have on my team?" and set the rankings accordingly.

Subjective? Yes. But ties are no fun.

Each player was scouted by myself and a team of experienced evaluators, with these key criteria in mind. The following scouting reports and grades are the work of months of film study from our team."

yep can't post the link, never seen that before.

its a 67 page slideshow still. thats one major issue.

the guy started his own website, with no training of note a year and a half ago after about a year as a BR writer. his madden 13 contribution is they use his picture next to tweets about your madden season.

"When you rush home from picking up a copy of EA Sports’ Madden NFL 13, you might notice a familiar face from Bleacher Report analyzing your roster moves in the Connected Careers mode. That face will be mine.

Back in June I received an email from a guy saying he was the creative director for EA Sports and that he was working with the virtual Twitter aspect for the new Madden game. My honest reaction was that someone was messing with me.

A quick Google search proved that Michael Young is in fact a creative director at EA, and that they really wanted my virtual analysis for the new game. When you’re running your team in this year’s game—whether that’s reading scouting reports on a draft pick or just checking the news wire—you’ll see virtual Twitter feeds from me and from other analysts, breaking down every aspect of the Madden environment.

So, what every B/R writer wants to know: How does one go from independent website owner to Madden virtual analyst in a year and a half? I wish I knew the answer, honestly. The best advice I can give anyone is to work hard every single day to get better at what you do."

AND THAT is why bleacher blows. the lead nfl draft analyst is no more qualified than you or i.

from the same bleacher article from august:

"When I stumbled upon Bleacher Report way back in late November 2010, I had no idea that in such a short time so much could happen. Becoming a Lead Writer for B/R was my previous career high, and it’s still a badge I wear proudly every day when I sit down at my desk and “clock in” to work."

but hes chalking himself up as a big to do that teams listen to

Edited by NoSaint

its a 67 page slideshow still. thats one major issue.

the guy started his own website, with no training of note a year and a half ago after about a year as a BR writer. his madden 13 contribution is they use his picture next to tweets about your madden season.

"When you rush home from picking up a copy of EA Sports' Madden NFL 13, you might notice a familiar face from Bleacher Report analyzing your roster moves in the Connected Careers mode. That face will be mine.

Back in June I received an email from a guy saying he was the creative director for EA Sports and that he was working with the virtual Twitter aspect for the new Madden game. My honest reaction was that someone was messing with me.

A quick Google search proved that Michael Young is in fact a creative director at EA, and that they really wanted my virtual analysis for the new game. When you're running your team in this year's game—whether that's reading scouting reports on a draft pick or just checking the news wire—you'll see virtual Twitter feeds from me and from other analysts, breaking down every aspect of the Madden environment.

So, what every B/R writer wants to know: How does one go from independent website owner to Madden virtual analyst in a year and a half? I wish I knew the answer, honestly. The best advice I can give anyone is to work hard every single day to get better at what you do."

AND THAT is why bleacher blows. the lead nfl draft analyst is no more qualified than you or i.

from the same bleacher article from august:

"When I stumbled upon Bleacher Report way back in late November 2010, I had no idea that in such a short time so much could happen. Becoming a Lead Writer for B/R was my previous career high, and it's still a badge I wear proudly every day when I sit down at my desk and "clock in" to work."

but hes chalking himself up as a big to do that teams listen to

Maybe we can get paid by Bleacher then :thumbsup:

Maybe we can get paid by Bleacher then :thumbsup:

feel free to sign up. i dont know if its as easy as it was a year ago, but all it required was a valid email address to start submitting content. i believe this message board took me longer to sign up for than bleacher did when i signed up out of curiosity.

i dont mind it as a discussion starter but its really frustrating when people tout a bogus resume as "the lead nfl draft expert" and a firm authority.

Edited by NoSaint

Ryan Fitzpatricks final QBR for the 2012 season is 45.8 ranking him 27th in the NFL....the QBR is the most accurate stat for ranking QBs

Not sticking up for Fitz but that rating is crap. It is extremely subjective and extremely interpretative based on how someone at ESPN views each individual play. Not accurate if you ask me.

Not sticking up for Fitz but that rating is crap. It is extremely subjective and extremely interpretative based on how someone at ESPN views each individual play. Not accurate if you ask me.

No rating system is perfect, but the Total QB Rating goes a LONG way in fixing the issues with the old QB Rating...I think the interpretations they take are logical when it comes to scoring points and actual contribution to winning games...

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's a better gauge than we've had in the past...And in Fitz's case, it's my humble opinion that no matter how they got to his final rating, it's quite accurate... B-)