Yankees, Johnson reach $32M, 2-year deal

erynthered

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is RJ going to the Yankees for the money or to win the World Series?

:D

195882[/snapback]

He's already got a WS ring, countless Cy Young awards, and a ton of cash. Why not finish you're career with the most storied franchise in all of sports?

This is a nice feature...

You have chosen to ignore wwovince. View this post · Un-ignore wwovince

But when someone quotes the ignored...you see it anyway....oh well :D

Blue he is going for both reasons. But too bad he wont get the WS. And Clements your the goddamn moron!! Say all you want about massachusetts !@#$!! I dont give a damn. !@#$ing !@#$!!

I dont care about Massachsetts one bit, so since you are obviously starving for attention, look elsewhere.

Yankees are at $205 million with the addition of The Big Unit. They will pay a luxury tax of 40% on every dollar over the $140 million salary threshold. All the luxury tax money goes to other teams.

Yankees will get rid of Kevin Brown's $15 million salary and Bernie Williams $14 million salary after this season. If the can void Steroid Giambi that saves another $70 million. So they can afford Johnson, Beltran and anybody else they want

Any idea how much money the Yankees bring in every year? Between the YES Network, Ticket Sales, Merchandise sales, other advertising sales and national TV contract money, it's somewhere close to $500 million a season. Between player salaries, luxury tax, revenue sharing and operating costs they spend about $450 million. They are still in the black by about $50 million each year.

My point being, if George Steinbrenner wants to spend his money and trade for top name players or sign unrestricted free agents, why in the hell can't he? If the Red Sox didn't play in such a crappy old stadium that holds only 38,000, they could be right up there with the Yankees every year and they DID beat the Yankees in the ALCS and they DID win the World Series last year so why all the complaining about the Yankees? Pirates fans, Twins fans and the Royals fan among others, complain about your owners, not the Yankees. They all get money FROM the Yankees and just bank it instead of spending it on improving their team.

Yankees are at $205 million with the addition of The Big Unit. They will pay a luxury tax of 40% on every dollar over the $140 million salary threshold. All the luxury tax money goes to other teams.

Yankees will get rid of Kevin Brown's $15 million salary and Bernie Williams $14 million salary after this season. If the can void Steroid Giambi that saves another $70 million. So they can afford Johnson, Beltran and anybody else they want

Any idea how much money the Yankees bring in every year? Between the YES Network, Ticket Sales, Merchandise sales, other advertising sales and national TV contract money, it's somewhere close to $500 million a season. Between player salaries, luxury tax, revenue sharing and operating costs they spend about $450 million. They are still in the black by about $50 million each year.

My point being, if George Steinbrenner wants to spend his money and trade for top name players or sign unrestricted free agents, why in the hell can't he? If the Red Sox didn't play in such a crappy old stadium that holds only 38,000, they could be right up there with the Yankees every year and they DID beat the Yankees in the ALCS and they DID win the World Series last year so why all the complaining about the Yankees? Pirates fans, Twins fans and the Royals fan among others, complain about your owners, not the Yankees. They all get money FROM the Yankees and just bank it instead of spending it on improving their team.

195909[/snapback]

Kasper you are just so sure the Yankees are the only team that puts their money back into their team aren't you? Give me a break.

Kasper you are just so sure the Yankees are the only team that puts their money back into their team aren't you?  Give me a break.

195911[/snapback]

I didn't see that statement? :D He only specifically mentioned the Prates, Twins and Royals.... Read to the period and not the comma.... :D

195909[/snapback]

Where did you come up with the idea that the Twins, Pirates and Royals owners bank the luxury tax instead of spending it? What factual basis do you have for saying this? At this point, the Yanks luxury tax is larger than the Devils Ray payroll and my guess is that the Rays are not making any money. The Twins, Pirates or Royals have about a 1% chance of ever winning a world series, even if they spend every dollar of revenue from tv rights, ticket sales and the luxury tax on payroll and never make a penny in profit. That is just a fact. The only way a smaller market team can win is to operate at a loss (see Florida, Arizona). The Yanks don't win every year but it is another team with a large payroll that inevitable will win. Real small market teams operating within their budget don't have a prayer. And that is why baseball sucks for most fans that don't root for big market teams.

Where did you come up with the idea that the Twins, Pirates and Royals owners bank the luxury tax instead of spending it?  What factual basis do you have for saying this?  At this point, the Yanks luxury tax is larger than the Devils Ray payroll and my guess is that the Rays are not making any money.  The Twins, Pirates or Royals have about a 1% chance of ever winning a world series, even if they spend every dollar of revenue from tv rights, ticket sales and the luxury tax on payroll and never make a penny in profit.  That is just a fact.  The only way a smaller market team can win is to operate at a loss (see Florida, Arizona).  The Yanks don't win every year but it is another team with a large payroll that inevitable will win.  Real small market teams operating within their budget don't have a prayer.  And that is why baseball sucks for most fans that don't root for big market teams.

195932[/snapback]

Valid points. Maybe baseball should think twice before putting teams in places like Tampa.... You have to have a loyal fan base to be successful. Small market teams are small market teams because they play to 30,000 empty seats...

Kasper, the threshold for this years salary cap is $128 million. And the luxury tax doesn't go directly to other teams. The tax money is used for MLB-wide expenses: player benefits, an industry growth fund, and the development of players in countries lacking organized high-school baseball. So, while it's helping baseball as a whole it's not assiting the "Kansas City Royals" of the world. Where, in my opinion, Carlos Beltran should be playing.

The struggle with MLB is that the product being sold isn't the same as the NFL. The NFL has 8 games to worry about. The MLB franchises have 81. So, if you live in NYC or Boston with the other billion people it's going to be more likely there are going to be other people attending the games than in Kansas City on a Tuesday evening in the middle of summer.

Valid points. Maybe baseball should think twice before putting teams in places like Tampa.... You have to have a loyal fan base to be successful. Small market teams are small market teams because they play to 30,000 empty seats...

195944[/snapback]

I will give you Tampa but Pittsburgh has been a baseball town for over 100 years but do you blame the Pittsburgh fans for not spenidng the big bucks to buy tickes to see a team that goes 70-92 every year and who has no legitimate ability to keep the talent that comes through the farm system until the team could mature into a contender.