Positional Needs for DraftTek - January

Astrobot

Do you want to keep our positional needs like this for the next draft? Here is the latest mock with those needs.

What would you change, knowing

---->Pettine and Hackett's stated styles (great article on Pettine's D here)

---->our Free Agents (mainly Byrd, Levitre)

---->available FA's (pretty good WR's, a couple serviceable but not franchise QB's)

---->strengths of this draft (Big Uglies, TEs, CBs)?

On defense, do we look for versatile players all along that are effective in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments?

Astro

Even though Pettine says he has no preference of fronts, being around 34 guys for the past 10 years tells me he is going want those types of players.

Per Nix on WGR a few minutes ago he has as his top needs - 1. Young QB, 2. WR that can play ala "Anquan Boldin, don't have to be 6'5+ but may weigh 220+ and get the ball in jump-ball situations" and 3. Two linebackers, who can "cover and run".

IMO Te'o can cover but he can't run. Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan? Those cats can move.

Chris Harper would an ideal WR in that mold.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geno Smith is becoming less likely the 1st pick in the Draft & maybe not the 1st QB taken, he skip the Senior Bowl & may skip the Combine & just do a private workout, that's not going to help his cause

Why? There has never been a Jr QB that has played the Sr Bowl...They rely only on the Combine and Private workouts...And plenty of them have gone REAL high in the Draft...Skipping the Sr. Bowl will mean nothing if Smith impresses in his workouts...Nothing... B-)

Love the suggestions, especially M6 to M3, getting the RD6 RB to complement Spiller, and trying the LB-QB-WR-WR-CB order.

WRF is a Wide Receiver - Featured

WRS is a Wider Receiver - Small, Speedy

WRP is a Wide Receiver - Possession guy, not your #1 usually

RBC is a Running Back - Change of Pace (either small quick waterbug type or big 245 lb type)

This.

Why? There has never been a Jr QB that has played the Sr Bowl...They rely only on the Combine and Private workouts...And plenty of them have gone REAL high in the Draft...Skipping the Sr. Bowl will mean nothing if Smith impresses in his workouts...Nothing... B-)

Smith is a senior and hopefully the Bills pass.

Per Nix on WGR a few minutes ago he has as his top needs - 1. Young QB, 2. WR that can play ala "Anquan Boldin, don't have to be 6'5+ but may weigh 220+ and get the ball in jump-ball situations" and 3. Two linebackers, who can "cover and run".

IMO Te'o can cover but he can't run. Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan? Those cats can move.

This is the interview I paid the most attention to last year. He mentioned Stephon Gilmore by name.

I'd listen to the unsaid sentences in that talk.

Dion Jordan was this week's DraftTek computer mock pick for the Bills. IMHO, the best pass rusher in the draft. Picks should be up tomorrow here.

I don't see him falling to us, and I think they're looking at Nassib-Wilson-Glennon, don't you, BB?

If they sign their key guys back and have cap room for one big buy I would grab a experienced cb. We could argue all day over which one but a solid corner would really solidify the secondary.

Then draft qb,we. And whichever front 7 help we need to field the kind of d we are transitioning to

Here are the change of pace running backs, and the slot I have them in pre-Senior Bowl week. Not too many 245 pounders here!

3 65 Jawan Jamison RBC 23 Rutgers 5'8" 200
5 158 Kerwynn Williams RBC 25 Utah State 5'8" 190
6 169 Curtis McNeal RBC 22 USC 5'7"  190
U 225 Spencer Ware (Jr.,decl) RBC 20 California 5'8" 205
U 236 Rex Burkhead RBC 22 Nebraska 5'11" 210
U 278 Kenny Miles RBC 31 South Carolina 5'9" 195
U 282 Ray Graham (law) RBC 1 Pittsburgh 5'11" 193
U 293 Ronnie Wingo RBC 20 Arkansas 6'3" 231
U 295 Miguel Maysonet RBC 5 Stony Brook 5'9" 205
U 306 Michael Dyer (susp.) RBC 5 Ark. Baptist 5'9" 210
U 307 Onterio McCalebb RBC 23 Auburn 5'10" 175
U 329 Montel Harris RBC 8 BC (dismissed) 5'9" 210
U 345 Fitzgerald Toussaint    RBC 28 Michigan 5'10"  195

Edited by Astrobot

1) Teo- LB

2) Wilson - QB

3) Okafor - DE

4) Patton or Rogers - WR

5) Mathieu - CB/S

6) Klein - QB

There

Okafor in the 3rd? LOL. This guy has top 15-20 written all over him. This guy is KILLING it in Senior Bowl practices and his stock is skyrocketing right now. Keep dreamin.

I wouldn't mind taking Okafor at 8 and line him opposite Mario. Cut Kelsay and Anderson for the love of god.

I don't understand any position other than MAYBE QB being ahead of LB.

WR? Sure, but nowhere near as needed as LB and QB.

He listed them in that order? I guess WR is a bigger problem if Nelson can't come back?

I just think it would be horrifying to go into yet another season w/o a HUGE upgrade at two LB spots and I don't know how you'd do that in the 3rd round and later. I'd actually rather suffer another year with FItz before I did that.

I would argue there are several decent upgrades at QB from FA available, which is also part of why I am willing to wait a bit in the draft for one.

Nix really should be fired if he's arguing he still needs a WR when he just traded up and skipped over QB's Wilson and Cousins to take TJ Graham, btw.

Yup that was the exact order he put them. It's weird because that part is now missing from last night's show. Verrry Twilight-Zone-y

The last post reminded me, we better be looking for a defensive end opposite MW. You are right.

Okafor is rising for sure.

Not sure where we get one as priority. But we will be in need

Most important pick is the QB. whether its in the second or third round or both. We better come out of this draft with one can get up and running under Marrone and Hackett asap.

We dont need a pro bowl line backer or a team leader. We need two that can start.

The idea of spending the Money in FA for corner is wisdom spoken.

Kelsay and Merriman and S Johnson will likely be gone. Dont forget the defensive front astro

I know he's a Sr...I said he skipped the Sr Bowl in my post...

My point was Jr QB's don't get to play in the Sr Bowl...And if they have the ability, they test well, and their workouts are satisfactory, it does not hurt them at all... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I have been reading more and more about Pettine's system, thinking some role players might be what he would like, guys who tween. Bryan Scott, Shawn Merriman, Kelvin Shephard. I am looking at it now as he wants basic, solid football players, good at their "one" thing if you will vs. an all around good football player. The value of an MLB who can make every tackle between the DT's, the Jack who can move in the box, the SS who can come forward with some punch (I hate saying it, but Whitner would have flourished with Pettine).

I have been reading more and more about Pettine's system, thinking some role players might be what he would like, guys who tween. Bryan Scott, Shawn Merriman, Kelvin Shephard. I am looking at it now as he wants basic, solid football players, good at their "one" thing if you will vs. an all around good football player. The value of an MLB who can make every tackle between the DT's, the Jack who can move in the box, the SS who can come forward with some punch (I hate saying it, but Whitner would have flourished with Pettine).

Isn't that Wilsons Mo to some degree ? He had an off year. Searcy might be That guy too.

I am glad someone here is studying : )

Isn't that Wilsons Mo to some degree ? He had an off year. Searcy might be That guy too.

I am glad someone here is studying : )

Wilson was more all purpose backfield manager then run stuffer. He can tackle and can get in their but his angles were poor in2012, so I do not see his ideal SS in Wilson based off of the 2012 decline.

I don't see him falling to us, and I think they're looking at Nassib-Wilson-Glennon, don't you, BB?

Long as we don't get Smith I'll live.

It's really hard to say who they are really looking at, none of those guys really impresses me.

Why is it this year that we need a QB, they are all so average. :thumbdown:

Casey why did you have to be a junkie, could have really used you this year. :wallbash:

I know he's a Sr...I said he skipped the Sr Bowl in my post...

My point was Jr QB's don't get to play in the Sr Bowl...And if they have the ability, they test well, and their workouts are satisfactory, it does not hurt them at all... B-)

the way your post is written indicates that Smith is a Jr. No biggie.

Wilson was more all purpose backfield manager then run stuffer. He can tackle and can get in their but his angles were poor in2012, so I do not see his ideal SS in Wilson based off of the 2012 decline.

fair enough. i wanted to blame all defensive failings on Wannstadt but George did look out of sorts quite often.

As did sheppard, a. williams, rogers , barnett

fair enough. i wanted to blame all defensive failings on Wannstadt but George did look out of sorts quite often.

As did sheppard, a. williams, rogers , barnett

shepherd gqota stuck. Two guys, one undersized one underperfrorming who were not able to shield the penetration leaving shepherd to get destorued like Poz did in 09.

Okafor in the 3rd? LOL. This guy has top 15-20 written all over him. This guy is KILLING it in Senior Bowl practices and his stock is skyrocketing right now. Keep dreamin.

I wouldn't mind taking Okafor at 8 and line him opposite Mario. Cut Kelsay and Anderson for the love of god.

I like Okafor (have him at #20 and rising), but I still think Dion Jordan has the higher ceiling, and Damontre Moore is in the conversation at #8. NONE of them would work as NT in a 3-4, and if we go 3-4, Dareus isn't optimal. Hankins is a load, and might last until #8. Trade-down for Jenkins or Bennie Logan is possible. Are you sure you want to go to a 4-3, Mike Pettine?

shepherd gqota stuck. Two guys, one undersized one underperfrorming who were not able to shield the penetration leaving shepherd to get destorued like Poz did in 09.

So we need a whole freaking front seven dont we ? another DE another DT another OLB and MLB. and we need that now.

We Must have franchisable QB. And wish hard for a stud WR. Thats it drafts over.

No pressure Doug , Buddy, Whaley, Pettine, Hackett

I mean look at the last season. Record (worst ever! ) yards against the rush. That's insane what happened.

we are going to need at least two drafts to get up and running.