PFF Grades for Bills players...Yeah, Fitz actually DOES suck!

Big Turk

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matter2003:

I greatly appriciate the post. As a "numbers guy" I have an appriciation for data. However, and please don't misconstrue this as me in any way slighting your contribution, which I am very grateful for, In order for this to be truely impactful and meaningful, it needs to be coupled with the metrics, reporting scale, and weighting purpose. Any chance your site makes that information handy?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

What was the sacred cow Marcell's score?

Dareus graded out at +8.1, but he was a very polarizing player...he had the worst run grade on the team at -8.7, but the 2nd best pass rush grade on the team at +13.7 next to Kyle Williams(+22.5)

He was worse than last year, when he graded out as the 2nd best defensive player next to Byrd at +13.9, but even with that, his run grade was only +0.6, which is a little concerning...

I greatly appriciate the post. As a "numbers guy" I have an appriciation for data. However, and please don't misconstrue this as me in any way slighting your contribution, which I am very grateful for, In order for this to be truely impactful and meaningful, it needs to be coupled with the metrics, reporting scale, and weighting purpose. Any chance your site makes that information handy?

lmao. i composed a post saying exactly this a few minutes ago, lost it to the ie posting ghost here, and didnt want to bother typing it all in again. so ty for doing it for me lol

yeah i agree, as much as i appreciate the effort these guys make, without knowing the guidelines and how strict they follow them (quality assurance) its really not a foolproof process. without enough structure and process people are influenced much more heavily that we usually recognize so you cant help but believe some of their evaluation ended up purely subjective

kyle williams is a great player but he was obviously hobbled too often this season to rank as the bills best player, most likely anyway. and fitz was very disappinting but thirty-fifth or w/e just seems way too low. pure statistics put him no lower than around twenty-fifth, so i just dont see him being THAT bad

but whatever, at best fitz was serviceable and thats not good enough on a team without a fantastic defense so his best hope regardless right now is to get a chance to compete for the job next fall, here or anywhere else. if dougster decides to let him do it then cool, if not and wants to go in another direction im fine with that too

how did the LBs grade out?

Sheppard graded out pretty much as expected, the worst of the bunch at -5.0, including a very bad -7.6 against the run. His pass rush and pass coverage grades were actually positive 1.8 and 1.2 respectfully, but he needs to shore up the run D big time...our run D is gonna continue to have major issues if one of the DT's(Dareus at -8.7) and the MLB directly behind him are this bad in run D....

Barnett actually surprised me as he received a grade of +6.0, including a good grade against the run of +6.4, a +1.9 in pass coverage(shockingly), but a -4.0 in pass rushing...

Bradham finished kinda meh, with an overall grade of -0.2, essentially 0...Moats was actually an upgrade especially against the run as he finished with a +2.8 run grade

Bryan Scott finished with a -1.7 grade, including a poor -6.4 against the run, but he did have a good +5.5 grade in pass coverage...

Barnett is the best of the bunch, and was actually the 9th highest graded 4-3 OLB in the NFL last year, directly behind Donta Hightower...

Matter2003:

Here is their grading methodology

http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Guys, I wouldn't throw Fitzy under the bus just yet. Did anyone ever stop to think that perhaps Gailey didn't allow Fitz to do certain things? Makes me think back to when Stevie stated that Gailey should let Fitz do his thing once in a while. The same goes for Spiller how Gailey would hold him back and stated that it was because he was winded. All I know is that Fitz did pretty good when running the No Huddle offense which is similar to the k gun.

Edited by JTO

Guys, I wouldn't throw Fitzy under the bus just yet. Did anyone ever stop to think that perhaps Gailey didn't allow Fitz to do certain things? Makes me think back to when Stevie stated that Gailey should let Fitz do his thing once in a while. The same goes for Spiller how Gailey would hold him back and stated that it was because he was winded. All I know is that Fitz did pretty good when running the No Huddle offense which is similar to the k gun.

His grade for passing was -23.4, which was only better than Brandon Weeden's(-29.3)...his grade for running, +3.2, was actually tied for 9th best in the NFL, so that was something he actually did well...passing was not..

Great Post OP... :thumbsup:

I too am surprised KW scored that high...And I'm interested in how Dareus scored...I think at times while he was in there, Carrington was our best D-Lineman...He's definitely coming on...

And agreed on Levitre and Byrd...The Bills will have a hard time advancing if they don't keep their best players...Too many holes still remain... B-)

Dareus graded out at +8.1, but he was a very polarizing player...he had the worst run grade on the team at -8.7, but the 2nd best pass rush grade on the team at +13.7 next to Kyle Williams(+22.5)

He was worse than last year, when he graded out as the 2nd best defensive player next to Byrd at +13.9, but even with that, his run grade was only +0.6, which is a little concerning...

Makes sense that KW and Dareus showed poorer vs the run...No doubt about it... B-)

Great Post OP... :thumbsup:

I too am surprised KW scored that high...And I'm interested in how Dareus scored...I think at times while he was in there, Carrington was our best D-Lineman...He's definitely coming on...

And agreed on Levitre and Byrd...The Bills will have a hard time advancing if they don't keep their best players...Too many holes still remain... B-)

Makes sense that KW and Dareus showed poorer vs the run...No doubt about it... B-)

KW had the highest run grade on the team at +10.7, next was Mario at +6.8 and Barnett at +6.4...

Things like...um, I dunno...completing passes?

Fitz did his thing...except it appears Fitz's thing was throwing interceptions at the end of every game. Sorry dude, but you gotta get off the train, cuz it's gonna jump the track and make a loud noise.

It depends what stats you want to use. Passer rating is a collection of stats and Fitz is basically right in the middle of the pack at 16. He was 13 in TDs and 17th in yards. So you can get stats to say what you want. Fitz was better than Tannehill this year without a doubt. 12 TDs and 13 Ints

Before everyone goes crazy I am just stating Fitz was a middle of the pack QB. We need to upgrade but stating he was the 3rd worst QB in the league is crazy. He was much better than a lot of the guys in the league. Go watch Ponder play or Gabbert or Tannehill or Sanchez or Weeden.

You can stats to say a lot of what you want them to say.....did GW pass the eye test? No

Anyone who watched George Wilson this year knows he played poorly....he makes two plays he should make and the Bills win two more games this year. He was replaced a lot more by Searcy towards the end of the year as he was better than Wilson. So just b/c PFF says he played well anyone who watched him including those who knew what he was supposed to do on each play (the coaches) took plays away from him and gave them to another guy.

I swear there bet not be one "But Fitz can still play pretty well it was the defense thats the problem" comment If there is im a flip a sh*t..

*EDIT*

AHHHH WHAT THE F***K.. Why do people still defend Fitz my gawd he is trash just face it.. I can't believe the excuses he gets its amazing some can't accept the fact he is really that bad and is a detriment to the team.

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

KW had the highest run grade on the team at +10.7, next was Mario at +6.8 and Barnett at +6.4...

Ahhh...OK...I did not see that with KW this year...At least not much...He must have played really well in the few games The Bills did stop the run...Or at least slowed it down...I know he did not do much in the games they got stomped on the ground...Then again no one did... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

oh yeah and i meant to mention geo wilson too. i mean cmon, i adore the guy but he slipped so badly this season its not funny. way too high a rating imo

That one is really weird.

Matter thought so too as he redded Wilson.

One thing I'd say about the guys who do this stuff is I'd feel a little better about it if I knew that it was former scouts doing the grading.

Another thing that came to mind is this:

For the first time this year, those people with NFL Game Rewind could watch the "All-22 Camera."

I wonder how much these guys (PFF, CHFF, FOS) utilize the All-22.

That one is really weird.

Matter thought so too as he redded Wilson.

One thing I'd say about the guys who do this stuff is I'd feel a little better about it if I knew that it was former scouts doing the grading.

Another thing that came to mind is this:

For the first time this year, those people with NFL Game Rewind could watch the "All-22 Camera."

I wonder how much these guys (PFF, CHFF, FOS) utilize the All-22.

Another note:

one totally blown play resulting in an 80 yard run -2, four decent plays cleaning up someone's mess or possibly not showing up on screen at all, +2. net of five plays, 0. Impact of 5 plays, hugely bad.

Something to keep in mind with any of the numbers.

Edited by NoSaint