Justified season 4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good show. This first episode of season 4 seems to have been set up so that new viewers could join in without really needing to have seen the first three seasons. There wasn't any sort of "Previously, on 'Justified'" and they introduced a new guy with Boyd's army buddy and the new story with "Waldo Truth". I don't watch "Sons of Anarchy" (I watched the pilot but wasn't moved to continue - maybe I'll get around to it later) and I'm still a bit upset at FX for cancelling "Terriers" and "Lights Out" but "Justified" is probably the best show in that tier just below the greats ("The Wire", "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" & "Boardwalk Empire"). I'd even put it above "Dexter" and whatever "Homeland" has become. But that's just me.

Speaking of "Dexter", I think my favorite Raylan moment was when he shot Desmond Harrington (Joey Quinn on "Dexter") by pulling on the tablecloth to bring the pistol over to his side of the table. Nice work, Raylan!

"Terriers" was going to be a great show. They really screwed the advanced marketing. It was doomed before it even started.

whats the john boy and billy show? i have heard nick searcy on some podcasts he is a pretty funny guy..

"im getting a marshall stiffy!"

john boy and billy is a syndicated radio show (the big show), mostly broadcast in the south, i think. lots of redneck humor. often pretty funny stuff.

how much longer do you have? i feel bad for posting the recaps now. 2nd episode just aired over here in the states.

Late spring/arly summer, so some time yet. Don't worry, I managed to avoid the recaps. Problem I have is that my friends have generally not even heard of the show, let alone watched it, which makes it difficult to talk about.

hear you there..............hence this thread for me. i only have one friend who watches it and he loves it as much as i do.

don't think its marketed that heavy.............should have a little reputation like the Wire and get watched down the road by many.

not as good of course but its a sleeper good show for sure.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

"Terriers" was going to be a great show. They really screwed the advanced marketing. It was doomed before it even started.

Agreed. The only reason I watched the first episode was that Alan Sepinwall was on "The BS Report" talking it up. I was hooked. I think even then Sepinwall predicted its demise because the reason you cited - poor advertising, bad name. No one knew what it was about. If they had given it a name like "Rizzoli & Isles", more people probably would have tuned in. PS - I think Britt did his time. Jeeze, Neal McDonough had one episode on "Terriers" and was great as Robert Quarles on "Justified". These folks all loop together.

http://www.grantland...nd-consequences

link to nice recap and gotta say, this show just keeps getting better and better. the evolution of Boyd especially when he tried to tell preacher Billy "you don't have to do this" is a nice little twist.

can't think of a single charecter on the show no matter how small (rachel, ella mae, new fbi guy) that aren't interesting as well. justified IMO is making leaps, im all in as they say....just loving this season a little too much. has to be the most entertaining hour of tv until Mad Men returns.

always love to see guest starring Jere Burns at the beginning, thought old Wynn Duffy was going to be an afterthought this season.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

true....i feel like if they made this season into a movie.......it would be freaking amazing.......seems like the show has evolved a ton since season 1

loved season 1, but it was very different, but it's way more polished now or im just all out gay for this show. :rolleyes: haaaa

Edited by Ryan L Billz

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/66859/justified-season-4-episode-4-this-bird-has-flown

episode 4......not the most action packed episode....but a few good notes to hit on.....Colton and Ellen Mae in the car after the "hit" got ordered was very intense, the hitman with a conscious angle seems like it will come to light down the road.

boyd's all around running of the town with the sherrifs assistance is just a boss play. hillbilly kingpin at his finest!

raylan and his "chickens" might be a good thing, it sounds like internal affairs and others might have been on to his "extricurricular work".

http://www.grantland...4-episode-5-kin

Episode 5.........action packed, this is reason this show is so much fun to watch IMO. More great dialogue, Mike O Malley as a gangster, just so much going on.

"what precipitated the change in your weathervane"

"you gotta saw? your gonna need a saw" "

• “I’d whistle the theme to Deliverance if I thought you had a better sense of humor.”
  • “You talking about no sense of humor – this is funny!”

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I was a bit bummed by Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned Ryerson!) getting popped in the melon. He could have been a great addition.

BTW - I highly recommend "Stephen Tobolowsky's Birthday Party". It's a great documentary. See that and then find some of the podcasts he did. He's a great storyteller.