Justified season 4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought last night's episode was one of their top three (if not the top) in the history of the show.

easily.....i want to buy this box set for anyone who hasn't seen it.....i don't think enough people watch it as is.....last night was flawless

loved the 3:10 to yuma comparisons, was also reading about how Tarantino and the writer of Justified love each others works and he borrowed a little Tarantino tactic with the "love train" playing in the backround while Constable Bob got beat up.........was a very odd and gripping scene.....loved it

Mike o malley/Nicky Augustine getting some love from the internet today. Saw earlier a site comparing his work to being almost as good as Margo martindale/Mags Bennett from season 2 as a top tier bad guy.

He's done a great job in short time. I haven't seen a bad performance by anyone on the justified set this year...limehouse,Ella Mae, eva, Colton(rip you cool bastard) "im smoking" even Johnny crowder did great jobs IMO.

I did miss the constable though. Not sure who to root for you kinda want to see Boyd n Eva make it but it doesn't seem they will be running that new dairy queen anytime soon.

They could make a spinoff involving Tim, Boyd, Wynn Duffy, or even Limehouse and I would watch at this point.

Grantland link, nice recap...

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/72163/justified-season-4-episode-12-anything-for-a-little-peace-of-mind

Edited by Ryan L Billz

This is such a great show but I think it needs 15-17 episodes/season. There are so many great characters that need just a little depth. Ron Eldard & Jacob Pitts were great together. It was sort of a triple-A Raylan-Boyd all season. Colt was chasing Ellen May for so long and finally finds her and that guy shows up. Mike O'Malley has been quite solid as a Tonin guy. It's amazing what happens when you give good words to read (see also: "The West Wing").

RIP Skank, you were fun to watch.

Ron Eldard much like Walton Goggins are must watch actors for me now. Like you just said and so many others have said on reviews, the writing is amazing. Just line after line on top of the great storytelling.

"Anyone who speaks out of both sides of their mouth deserves to have it permanently shut" This meant so much especially as it pertains to his brother Johnny.

Limehouse telling Ava he barely recognizes her anymore was another solid deep statement made by the writers.

but to agree with you huge kudos to Jacob Pitts and Ron Eldard........Pitts is solid, the three man tandom of Pitts, Searcy, and Olyphant are always a party to be reckoned with(sp)

Edited by Ryan L Billz

• 2 weeks later...

great review here, nice ending to show.............hate to see Boyd not live out the dream with Eva, but i guess thats part of being a criminal (so close, yet so far away).

What do you tell yourself at night, when you lay your head down, that allows you to wake up in the morning pretending that you're not the bad guy?

Not only was Walton Goggins' delivery of the quote above utterly perfect as always, but the content of it was also such a great example of why Raylan Givens is such an interesting hero to follow that it had to lead off this review of the Justified Season 4 finale.

It hasn't just been Raylan; Tony Soprano and Walter White, among others, are also fascinating television protagonists of the last decade who fall somewhere different along the sliding scale of good and bad. Yet Raylan is one that always finds himself on the right side of the law no matter which of his actions make you question his motives.

In "Ghosts" Boyd asked him this question in reference to his assumption that Raylan was prepared to kill Nicky Augustine no matter what else happened in that limo.

That's what makes Justified one of the best shows on television. Not only do producer Graham Yost and company make the audience ponder how bad Raylan is willing to go and still call himself a good guy, but the characters within the show are also speaking up on the subject.

The conversation between Boyd and Raylan on the way over, as well as the subsequent one in the limo between Raylan and Nicky, was pulse-pounding dialogue. Realizing that Nicky wasn't going to pull on Raylan, and that the cowboy's "what ain't broke" strategy wasn't going to come into play, I was on the edge of my seat wondering what on earth would happen next.

Hitching his wagon to the murderous gangster who wasn't set on killing his wife and unborn child was one of the smartest things Raylan Givens has ever done. Walking away slowly, allowing Sammy Tonin and his goons to execute Nicky Augustine, and presumably not saying anything to anyone about it ever, was some of the closest the Marshal has ever been to being what Boyd referred to as "the bad guy."

At the end of the hour, Raylan had saved his wife and kid not once but twice, and the man was staring at a nice long suspension to settle himself down. Watching him sit there with his dead relatives was oddly one of the most peaceful moments to watch to date on Justified.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/04/justified-review-not-the-bad-guy/#ixzz2PdEYLKwU

That was a great season. Rare for a show to still be great in season 4 (Dexter pulled it off). Those last 3 episodes have to be the apex of the show. If it gets any better, well... I just don't know.

BTW, I'd like to mention that this era of the anti-hero (Tony Soprano, Don Draper, Walter White, Raylan Givens, etc), Jerry (Gary) Gergich of "Parks & Recreation" is the exact opposite. He's a mess at work but appears to have his home-life completely squared away - Christie Brinkley is his wife, his daughters are beautiful, smart women who adore their dad and his neighbors love him. That's so cool.