About Buddy Nix...

I've usually been a supporter of Nix on this forum. I happen to think his drafts have been better than a lot of GM's, and I think he's done a good job of building the lines, and for the most part has the roster beefed up to the point where we're one excellent offseason away from being able to compete with just about anyone.

That being said, there are a few things about Nix that keep bothering me. Firstly, his hiring of Chan Gailey. Now, I was never too critical of that hire, because it felt like a hire that Nix might have been nudged into making, and it seemed like the better names were not interested. However, I would have greatly preferred a lesser known college coach or coordinator.

Secondly, and again, although Nix could get all the blame, I am left wondering how much of this decision was someone else's (Chan Gailey's) - I'm referring to NOT drafting a QB worth a damn in three years! Its just mind boggling! My take on it the whole time it was happening was this: either they didn't want some college kid, or proven vet, coming in and challenging Fitz's confidence, or they didn't want someone else to come in and outperform Fitz, forcing them to start someone else WHILE paying Fitz his big money deal. Either way, a trend is beginning to appear here that seems to bridge both Gailey and Nix - they're making decisions NOT based on what is best for winning, but on other things, like loyalty, or fear.

Now, those two decisions of Nix's were bad, but I could still get behind him for a few more years knowing he can draft pretty good, and coupled with F.A., he could still help build a winning team. Yesterday, though, at the press conference, Nix said something that really bothered me and made me think he doesn't have that certain something that the best NFL men have. He was talking about Gailey, saying how Gailey was a winner everywhere he'd ever been, and he just couldn't get the job done here.

Wait a minute - Gailey has been a winner everywhere he's been? What has Gailey won on his own? Did he win a national championship in college? Did his teams go undefeated? Did his Dallas teams win the Super Bowl? Kansas City? Miami?

What bothers me is IF Nix considers just making it to the playoffs as successful, AND, if he considers what Gailey has done as successful, then what other coaches might seem like WINNERS to him? I don't want Nix's version of success getting in the way of the Bills actually getting a coach capable of winning - the Whisenhunts, the Lovie Smiths of the NFL are not the same as the Grudens, or Cowhers, or even Reids, and there's a big difference. After listening to Russ Brandon, I feel like he knows what I'm talking about. I feel like Russ wants World Class Caliber coaching here, and I'm just glad Russ and Doug Whaley are helping in this current coaching hire.

So you like Nix, but fault him for hiring Gailey and not getting us a QB. Thank you, brand new insight that has not been posted anywhere else.

Forgive me - I think in paragraphs. Despite writing online for years, I still haven't been able to chop my observations down to single words or sentences. My point was specifically Nix's view of what IS successful. That is a critical point when discussing a GM. Thought that was a valid observation.

Forgive me - I think in paragraphs. Despite writing online for years, I still haven't been able to chop my observations down to single words or sentences. My point was specifically Nix's view of what IS successful. That is a critical point when discussing a GM. Thought that was a valid observation.

Thats fine and I get what you are saying, but I think the discussion is relatively pointless and anyone can plainly see we will be/have already started the "smooth transition" (Buddy's words) to Whaley. You even refer to it yourself. So what's the worry?

Buddy has about 5 more months left in his current GM position. Maybe even less depending on how quickly we hire a HC and what is planned at OBD. With that understanding, his role in finding a new HC has already been diminished.

if there is one thing about buddy is i think he did a good job building the lines. (yes i know d line underachieved) but our o line looks solid and our d line should be playing at a much higher level. but what sealed his fate was keeping fitz, not drafting a qb and hiring gailey

There is one VERY important factor at play here for Buddy Nix, and that is what he hopes to leave behind with this hire. Essentially, I think you can ease the worry of past misconceptions because he will know that the stakes are now higher than when Chan Gailey was hired. He does STILL have a chance to leave a legacy here with this offseason and generally, I think he'll be successful.

Edited by Bflojohn