Chargers announce Norv Turner will be fired at end of season

Alphadawg7

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much of that roster was John Butler vs AJ Smith? I would not want AJ as the GM but if he played a great role in building those teams then he might have some value to Whaley as a scout. I'm inclined to say no.

I just hope Nix says I am done at the end of the season and the whole organization is turned over to Whaley. I'm ok wih Whaley running the off-season and draft while retaining the current coaching staff - yes even Wannstedt. If the defense continues to improve and looks goos(against weaker competition) and the team doesn't quit on Gailey then maybe Nix is right. Maybe they shouldn't change and get one more off-season infusion of young talent - especially at LB.

Yea, John Butler built that awesome charger team with LT & Co.

I wouldn't want Norv Turner or AJ Smith in Buffalo. Still clinging to the hope that Marty S gets another shot in the NFL in Buffalo.

Phillip Rivers yes, but only if this team fires Gailey / Nix and hires a HC / GM who know what they are doing. Not gonna hold my breath tho

Wow. PTR asks about an elite QB coming out and we cannot get a consensus pick. Open youreyes people. Last year there was no doubt on elite Qbs. Luck and Rob Griffin.

This year there isn't. To compare anyone in the draft to Manning, Brady or Montana is impossibly insane. Every one of those brings up a bust. Marinovich, Leaf, Carr, etc etc....

We have Fitz for 2013. Face it. It'd the troof

AJ Smith was a great pro personnel guy. He sucked as a GM and was arrogant to boot. He only got the gig cause Butler passed away. He couldn't work with Marty and brought in a coach who was subservient to him. I'd take Buddy over him any day.

We got a bright young GM in Whaley. We need to give him a shot.

C

Why does Turner keep getting head coaching jobs in the first place? He's the prime example of why the Rooney Rule exists. It sucks that a lot of talented coaches never get a chance because this proven loser keeps getting jobs.

And AJ Smith built a great team but his ego killed what he put together.

Im curious...which of these QB's were Elite prospects coming out of college...Montana, Brady, Warner, etc.

Geezus, PTR you just do everything you can to find a way to not draft a QB and keep your beloved Fitz. I have news for you, the Bills will NEVER get a shot at an ELITE QB prospect (which is just a media and fan term because it means very little...see Ryan Leaf and a host of other ELITE prospects) unless they draft in the top 5 at the very min. ELITE QB prospects get drafted #1 overall and in the top 5. They dont fall to 15th in the draft. Great and Elite NFL players have fallen in the draft, but they were not ELITE status going into the draft like RG3 and Luck were.

But guess what...they do not have to be a QB graded to be an ELITE prospect to develop into a top NFL QB. And guess what else...if we drafted a QB who ended up being a good QB and not Elite, that would still be a large upgrade over Fitz who is not a good QB.

But you can draft 100 QBs in rounds 3-7 and not hit on a Montana, Brady, or Warner. The Patriots were very lucky Brady turned out the way he did, no one saw it coming, including the patriots.

But you can draft 100 QBs in rounds 3-7 and not hit on a Montana, Brady, or Warner. The Patriots were very lucky Brady turned out the way he did, no one saw it coming, including the patriots.

Belicheck did. The guy has never done wrong. Been the best HC ever.

Few Pats fans admit it but they know Belicheck was on his last legs in NE. A retread failed headcoach in Cleveland that until that point was succeeding on someone elsees hip. The Patriots got lucky. Whoever the guy who said draft that QB from the school next to Ohio was should be paid a million bucks.

Wow. PTR asks about an elite QB coming out and we cannot get a consensus pick. Open youreyes people. Last year there was no doubt on elite Qbs. Luck and Rob Griffin.

This year there isn't. To compare anyone in the draft to Manning, Brady or Montana is impossibly insane. Every one of those brings up a bust. Marinovich, Leaf, Carr, etc etc....

We have Fitz for 2013. Face it. It'd the troof

elite? maybe not, but better than fitz? thats what we need for now.......you might be right but its time to buy a lottery ticket. the hopelessness that fitz brings has to end

"other weak qb's" have been russell wilson, colin kaepernick, dalton, and every other decent qb thats been drafted lately.

"draft experts" are like weathermen................just guess away Barkley,Geno,Murray, Jones could be the next Montana or the next Sanchez, its time to gamble and test the waters IMO.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Belicheck did. The guy has never done wrong. Been the best HC ever.

Few Pats fans admit it but they know Belicheck was on his last legs in NE. A retread failed headcoach in Cleveland that until that point was succeeding on someone elsees hip. The Patriots got lucky. Whoever the guy who said draft that QB from the school next to Ohio was should be paid a million bucks.

Well said. Belichick had Jauron like numbers before Brady. Brady made Belichick.

how can you say this? you might be right but its time to buy a lottery ticket. the hopelessness that fitz brings has to end

"other weak qb's" have been russell wilson, colin kaepernick, dalton, and every other decent qb thats been drafted lately.

"draft experts" are like weathermen................just guess away Barkley,Geno,Murray, Jones could be the next Montana or the next Sanchez, time to test the waters IMO.

I pretty much agree. As much as people want to act like the draft is an exact science, there is a lot of luck involved. RG3 wasn't a definite 1st round pick before his last year in college and flew up the boards. Personally, I think you should load up on draft picks for more chances to get lucky. I want to draft 2 QBs this year and keep Fitz to mentor/ battle it out next year.

I pretty much agree. As much as people want to act like the draft is an exact science, there is a lot of luck involved. RG3 wasn't a definite 1st round pick before his last year in college and flew up the boards. Personally, I think you should load up on draft picks for more chances to get lucky. I want to draft 2 QBs this year and keep Fitz to mentor/ battle it out next year.

You can also throw in the fact that no one knows if the success of any of these players will last.

Just look at Cam Newton, he went from breaking records last season to mediocrity in one offseason. Who knows if RGIII could end up doing the same? Christian Ponder looked really good last year at the end of the season for the Vikes, now he is struggling. We are already annointing Kaepernick the next greatest thing around here after 3 career games.

Personally I think if they draft a QB early in the 1st this year, they should only take one, unless you take another really late (like 6th or 7th, or maybe undrafted) and let Fitz and TJ battle it out with the rookies for the starting job. I would let Thigpen walk, and think they are just holding TJ back. I don't think they intended to bring this guy in and keep him around this long if he was struggling to understand the offence or just flat out was horrible. They traded for him for a reason, but I think the reason is for next season. Basically, get him in when they had a chance, give him the playbook and some reps in practice to learn the offence, and then let him battle it out this offseason with Fitz for the starter job (it could backfire on them if he refuses to re-sign with them though)

Dean Spanos was quoted, that no decison has been made regarding Norv or AJ's future with the club beyond the end of the seasosn and he is the only one that would make the decision to make a change. Which reading between the lines means, they are dead men walking! They should bring back Marty, they have been awful ever since he left town.

We should get an experienced QB (A Smith, Flacco , Rivers, Vick, etc...) & draft a Geno Smith, Barkley, Jones, etc... that way we would be covered.

We should cut Fitz & then hire him as OC.

that might work out pretty good. smart guy with a feel for the offense. and by letting someone play who can actually throw a bit a recipe for success :D

elite? maybe not, but better than fitz? thats what we need for now.......you might be right but its time to buy a lottery ticket. the hopelessness that fitz brings has to end

"draft experts" are like weathermen................just guess away Barkley,Geno,Murray, Jones could be the next Montana or the next Sanchez, its time to gamble and test the waters IMO.

Better then Fitz? I do not know. I guess you could say half the QB's in the league are better then Fitz...but that is only of the starters. So, for argument sake Fitz is in the bottom 25%, 65% of the QB's are better then him. That's 24 QB's that are better then him. 8 worse. Take in the whole NFL (3QB's per team) and we will say Fitz is better then 90% of the backup and 3rd QB's (64 QB's), thats 6 better then him. So, there are 30 QB's better then Fitz in the league. There are 65 worse. Fitz is in actuality in the top 30% of QB's in the league... but this is just fun with numbers.

Of those QB's you named, and all those to enter the league since 2010 (maybe 2009) how many are better then Fitz? How many did we have a chance at? Kaepernick, Dalton, Wilson, others? At this point it's still early to tell how good many of them will be, but their instant success is thus far - in a 2 year career for guys like Cam Newton. Would we be that much better off with Cam? Hard for me to really say. Would be worse off? I doubt it.

Testing the water comes at a price. For every bust there is another bust, and for every two of those busts there is a backup, and for all of those combined there is a 5+ year starter. A great example right now is Rivers and Palmer. Both of them great for 2 seasons. Do we want a 5 year starter or an Eli Manning?

Well said. Belichick had Jauron like numbers before Brady. Brady made Belichick.

Billy boy had a great defense, something that was right up his alley to begin with. Brady developed quite well, and revisionist history would state the Brady was going to replace Bledsoe as a starter. Not so fast. He had just signed a record breaking 10 year, $103MM and was going to remain the starter.

I had been thinking in my head, though, Belichick was just like Jauron. That alone says how success and failure go hand in hand with the NFL. The only POSSIBLE insight to where there was a difference between the two is coaching lineage.