UB Bulls fan fantasy vs the Bills

PromoTheRobot

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2012/11/8/3620488/robbing-ralph-wilson-to-pay-paul-vecchio-a-historical-look-at

I know few of you follow University at Buffalo football. It's one of the few football programs sadder than the Bills, consistently ranking in the bottom 10 of D-1 football, and featuring a circus parade of football coaches that would make Bills head coaches look like a pack of Bill Belichicks. (But at least they won a MAC title in 2008 with Turner Gill, nyah-nyah.) How bad are the UB Bulls? The current head coach, Jeff Quinn, in his third season, has only 4 wins against FBS schools. But hey, they can dream.

PTR

http://www.ubbullrun...torical-look-at

I know few of you follow University at Buffalo football. It's one of the few football programs sadder than the Bills, consistently ranking in the bottom 10 of D-1 football, and featuring a circus parade of football coaches that would make Bills head coaches look like a pack of Bill Belichicks. (But at least they won a MAC title in 2008 with Turner Gill, nyah-nyah.) How bad are the UB Bulls? The current head coach, Jeff Quinn, in his third season, has only 4 wins against FBS schools. But hey, they can dream.

PTR

Wow. Fantasy indeed; bordering on insanity. UB does nothing right when it comes to its major athletics programs.

I live here in Syracuse and the older I get the more I follow college football over the NFL.

SU upsets No. 10 Louisville yesterday. CNY was electric.

Follow up with last night's No 1. Alabama losing to Texas A&M.

I'll tell you one positive thing about UB that the Bills don't have - you don't have to worry about UB ever leaving Buffalo.

I live here in Syracuse and the older I get the more I follow college football over the NFL.

SU upsets No. 10 Louisville yesterday. CNY was electric.

Follow up with last night's No 1. Alabama losing to Texas A&M.

I'll tell you one positive thing about UB that the Bills don't have - you don't have to worry about UB ever leaving Buffalo.

Quick, the positive thing!

Quick, the positive thing!

Funny!

Question: Say UB gets its act together and starts winning. They put together winning seasons and they're on their way up while the Bills continue to struggle. For those of you in the Buffalo area: do you think a lot of fans will quit the Bills and start following UB?

Funny!

Question: Say UB gets its act together and starts winning. They put together winning seasons and they're on their way up while the Bills continue to struggle. For those of you in the Buffalo area: do you think a lot of fans will quit the Bills and start following UB?

As a UB alum who was very involved while there, and who lives in Buffalo now after ten years away: No. There's not even a qualifier. Just no.

Lack of Money is one big reason why UB fotball lags. SUNY is a joke when it comes to athletic spending. If there were no Bills and more WNY sports fans went to UB games, they might be able to improve. Building the proposed fieldhouse would be a start.

PTR

Lack of Money is one big reason why UB fotball lags. SUNY is a joke when it comes to athletic spending. If there were no Bills and more WNY sports fans went to UB games, they might be able to improve. Building the proposed fieldhouse would be a start.

PTR

They wouldn't pour any more money into the team than they do now. There's no NBA in town, and nevertheless, UB is horrible with basketball, too.

Funny!

Fans would support UB football IF they started winning alot and IF they were not in the MAC conference. Sorry, but the average sports fan in WNY is not coming out to see Western Michigan, Kent State or Miami (OH).

If the UB schedule was filled with names like Syracuse, Louiville, Boston College, Army, Penn State, etc... AND they were winning, then fans would show up and it would be a pretty big time event each Saturday. As of now, people feel like they are watching a losing team (UB) play lesser known opponents...which is a tough sell in a pro sports town. Now the problem is that UB is not going to any new conference unless they can start winning and drawing fans...and they certainly aren't going to be outrecruiting anyone and winning consistently with the worst facilites in the MAC conference. It's just a cycle they can't get out of.

They wouldn't pour any more money into the team than they do now. There's no NBA in town, and nevertheless, UB is horrible with basketball, too.

HUH?? They averaged 20 wins a season the last 4 years. (21-18-20-20) How is that "horrible?"

FYI UB plays Florida State tonight on ESPN3, if you get that.

I thought Binghamton and Stony Brook had reputable sports teams. No?

Stony Brook football is 1-AA but they are having a great year. Binghamton had that one Cinderella season but it blew up when they were caught lowering admission standards for players. That scared SUNY even further away from supporting big time athletics.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

HUH?? They averaged 20 wins a season the last 4 years. (21-18-20-20) How is that "horrible?"

FYI UB plays Florida State tonight on ESPN3, if you get that.

PTR

They don't put money into the team, failed to "take it to the next level" after almost making it to the big tournament a few years ago, don't draw fans, have a completely amateurish arena atmosphere (seriously, it's like a AA baseball game in there, with bounce houses, dinosaurs, and stuff), aren't exciting, etc. Maybe "horrible" was strong. "Interminably 'blah,'" is that better?

EDIT: I may try to watch on ESPN3 tonight. I'd rather watch the Sabres-Soviets replay though. So if I'm home, vintage hockey it is. If not, basketball on the iPad.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Horrible in Basketball? They are in the top third of er the all division one teams over the past four years! They have 3 20 win seasons, and have been to three post season tournaments. If they were in the MAAC they would have been dancing.

...or maybe even a SU-UB game IN Syracuse with a Bills home game played the next day again IN Syracuse at the Dome. Screw Toronto!

Syracuse refuses to play Buffalo in either football or basketball unless we play in the Carrier dome.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I attempted three times to watch on ESPN3. Each time, I had the dreaded "loading" wheel for five minutes. I even performed a complete restart. Nope, no UB-Florida State for me. And ESPN3 works fine for me normally; I was able, for example, to have the second half of Saturday's (Sunday morning's?) Oregon game on, no problems. Hell, I'm able to watch my high school play on my iPad, computer, phone, no problems. But UB? No, of course, there's a problem. It's UB. It's just the way that it is.

I'll guess that in parts of Florida, it was on local TV.

And I'll note the 25+ point loss, too.

I love my school (I was in charge of homecoming twice), but the athletics department is on par with the D-III program that it was when I went there, and the alumni relations group is not much better. Sorry, folks, but UB has a long, long way to go to even match up with the Tulanes and Tulsas of the world, much less big programs.

(And no, this isn't because of ESPN3. It's because it's UB. Take it seriously or stop wasting money on it; there is no shame in a good D-III program, but there's a lot of shame in sinking half-assed money into a D-I program. Do it right or don't do it at all.)

Edited by Offsides Number 76

I attempted three times to watch on ESPN3. Each time, I had the dreaded "loading" wheel for five minutes. I even performed a complete restart. Nope, no UB-Florida State for me. And ESPN3 works fine for me normally; I was able, for example, to have the second half of Saturday's (Sunday morning's?) Oregon game on, no problems. Hell, I'm able to watch my high school play on my iPad, computer, phone, no problems. But UB? No, of course, there's a problem. It's UB. It's just the way that it is.

I'll guess that in parts of Florida, it was on local TV.

And I'll note the 25+ point loss, too.

I love my school (I was in charge of homecoming twice), but the athletics department is on par with the D-III program that it was when I went there, and the alumni relations group is not much better. Sorry, folks, but UB has a long, long way to go to even match up with the Tulanes and Tulsas of the world, much less big programs.

(And no, this isn't because of ESPN3. It's because it's UB. Take it seriously or stop wasting money on it; there is no shame in a good D-III program, but there's a lot of shame in sinking half-assed money into a D-I program. Do it right or don't do it at all.)

I saw the game. Not too good.

PTR

I thought Binghamton and Stony Brook had reputable sports teams. No?

Stony Brook yes! Binghamton which is where i live...half their basketball team gets arrested year in and year out...BU has a decent baseball team...updated all their facilities...look wonderfull...IMHO Stony Brook out classes Binghamton in every aspect other then maybe facilities !