Why there will ABSOLUTELY be changes in the offseason

Virgil

I do believe that Nix wants to keep Chan next year. And honestly, I'm okay with it. However, Chan may force Nix's hand if he isn't willing to play ball.

This is a business and a business needs customers. After last season, fans and the media were against the defense and thought that if it was better, then the average nature of Fitz would be overcome. So, in the offseason, the FO went hard after making the D better and everyone was in love with the Bills. In fact, had they been able to win the opener, you would probably see a lot more hype around the team with the Pats game being a fluke and they probably had the confidence to beat the Titans.

This offseason, I think it will be pretty clear that the fans/media will be needing hope at QB, a new defensive scheme, and probably a cb and db's. I don't know if WR really is that big of a deal. I mean, who is really dropping them? (Besides Chandlers bad day today)

End of the day, they need to sell tickets. If Chan isn't willing to go along with the changes that need to happen, then I think he will be gone. Either way, we will be drafting a QB and something will happen on D.

If you don't believe in that logic, then believe in this....The Bills do one thing better than any other team, Give False Hope! That trend will continue

have you considered that the reason they haven't drafted a top qb prospect is the lkelihood of popping that bubble? if they draft one and he becomes a stud and thus becomes a bidding object at contract time, it will cost big. we've seen in the last decade how much the bills brass dislikes that scenario and how successful they've been in retaining the few marketable talents they've drafted. losing a top qb would show everyone the truth they don't want revealed: that winning is far down the priority list.

The only way for sure that there will ABSOLUTELY be changes in the off-season is if new ownership takes over. If that happens soon enough, most likely the entire front office and coaching staff will be dumped.

This is true. And no *meaningful* changes - that is, replacement of Nix and Gailey with more competent leadership - will occur until there's a change in ownership.

I would have agreed with you until they changed the rookie salaries and we signed Mario.

I no longer believe that Ralph is cheap

mario was supposedly a known quantity..locked in for at least 5 years and was likely considered a good bet to sell tickets and improve the team right away. oops.. rookie qb's are a crap shoot and take time to develop and the rookie salary set up doesn't apply after the initial contract ends and the bidding wars start... what rookie qb stud with a decent agent is gonna sign a long term deal with wilson as owner?

I would have agreed with you until they changed the rookie salaries and we signed Mario.

I no longer believe that Ralph is cheap

It's not that Ralph is cheap. It's that he's 94 years old, can charitably be described as unengaged, and has stated that the team will be sold to the highest bidder upon his death. No GM or HC worth anything will come to Buffalo under those circumstances. See the most recent GM/HC search for confirmation.

This is the same franchise that started the "continuity" narrative in the wake of DJ's 1-9 finish to the 2008 season. I sincerely don't think the powers that be want to make further changes, even though they have to know Nix's rebuild has failed. And so the status quo is the path of least resistance and Nix/Gailey return in 2013.

When has Ralph not been willing to fire guys? In the recent past only Modrak seems to have outlasted his usefulness. He got rid of Donahoe. I'm sure he helped Marv see the exit sign. He went after Shanahan and Cowher. For God's sake, Schottenhiemer's kid turned us down. What a joke... The players are still willing to sign because Ralph has paid plenty in FA contracts. Why they didn't just give in to Peters I have no idea - but other owners get pissed when guys look for extra money after just signing a deal a few years earlier.

Out best shot is to get an up and coming DC. I am fine with Chan for one more year. You can't blame the offense. Yes I would like to see more Spiller and less Fitz. But I would much rather see a defense that can get turnovers and get the offense a short field to work with.

When has Ralph not been willing to fire guys? In the recent past only Modrak seems to have outlasted his usefulness. He got rid of Donahoe. I'm sure he helped Marv see the exit sign. He went after Shanahan and Cowher. For God's sake, Schottenhiemer's kid turned us down. What a joke... The players are still willing to sign because Ralph has paid plenty in FA contracts. Why they didn't just give in to Peters I have no idea - but other owners get pissed when guys look for extra money after just signing a deal a few years earlier.

Out best shot is to get an up and coming DC. I am fine with Chan for one more year. You can't blame the offense. Yes I would like to see more Spiller and less Fitz. But I would much rather see a defense that can get turnovers and get the offense a short field to work with.

I would like to see him one year with a talented QB

I would like to see him one year with a talented QB

I used to agree with that. Unfortunately the lack of running the ball, the decision to stick with Wanny after this seasons defensive debacle and absolutely horrible play calling with the game in the line. I'd much rather see Fitz with a competent offensive coordinator and HC

But by no means do I want either of them back after this year.

Edited by mrags