Overlooked Problem: Tight End

Griswold

Yes, Bledsoe and Lindell were weak links yesterday.

But a simmering issue with Tight End also hindered the offense. TE depth hurt the Bills ever since Campbell went to the IR, with Euhus right behind him. Think about it: Banta (really a long snapper), Neufeld, Trafford (rookie FA), Peters (really a Tackle), no great depth there. The numbers testify to that.

Mularkey football requires a good TE, and we just don't have one behind Campbell. Remember Campbell's three TD performance against STL? Sweet. That was Mularkey Smash Mouth football!

Maybe Euhus is OK, but the others are scrubs. Facing weak opponents (Miami, SF, Cleveland etc.) kept the achilles heal hidden. Pittsburg exposed and exploited TE problems.

Good News: No major off season personnel moves required to fix this. Having Campbell and Euhus go down was just plain bad luck.

In this era of the salary cap you can't afford to have great depth at all positions. Campbell & Euhus are ok in my book and whatever you can do in terms of a 3rd TE is dictated by the cap. After our top 2 went down, not only can't you afford to bring someone of quality in, you can't find such quality.

You lose your top 2 guys at a position, you expect a dropoff. This was particularly apparent in this instance as we lost them in the same week.

That said, I don't know whether it's by design, or lack of talent of the players we have, but I don't think the lack of contributions by our TEs contributes that much to the overall very poor production we get from our offense.