Anyone here make jerky?

boyst

how much smoke does this give off? I am wondering if this would be able to be used on a 2nd(of 3) floor apartment balcony without pissing off my neighbors. thoughts?

I've been wondering the same. I'd buy one tommorow if I knew it'd be acceptable, and not just turn into something I wasn't able to use

My understanding is it can't be a modern freezer, and this may be regular smokers not cold smokers. The old freezers '50-60's don't have the bad chemicals and insulation in them and are food grade stainless.. but I'll defer to Chef on this...

Sorry, I'm not using it as a smoker. I hang cure sopressata in there and age cheese.

how much smoke does this give off? I am wondering if this would be able to be used on a 2nd(of 3) floor apartment balcony without pissing off my neighbors. thoughts?

I used to use my smoker in the couryard of my apartment complex. I didn't piss them off, I drove them crazy. They'd all come down to ask what I was smoking this time.

While it certainly isn't as good as slicing roasts, we normally grind venison and mix it with a cure you can get from Cabelas or Bass Pro. My buddy has this caulking gun looking "Jerkey Shooter" also from Cabelas and we run strips on his dehydrator. A few hours later, we've got jerky. It is similar to the Lawry's product you can buy at the store.

Another way I make jerky using chunks of venison is to simply use a filet knife and cut a roast into thin chunks or strips. I place them in a bowl with teriyaki and let it marinate in the fridga overnight. I'll then place the strips on foil lined cookie sheet, place my oven on warm and put them in. I leave the over slightly open to vent out the moisture and every 30 minutes or so i'll flip the strips over as the moisture will tend to gather down below. It's not high speed, but it works! Good luck w/ whatever you choose!