Single Gap; why our defense stinks

Cody is a pt player, I get hes a massive body, but hes not THE answer for a NT.

He would for us, sitting behind a 10 yr vet is no shame.

The advantage to the single gap style of defense is that the DTs can be aggressive because they don't have to react to two gaps or protect the LBs. They're supposed to "play on the other side of the line of scrimmage" as Gailey talked about after the NE game. They're just not doing it. Many good defenses in the NFL are single gap defenses.

Also, given the evidence on the field, and by his own admission, Gailey doesn't know anything about defense. So Chan's analysis of the defensive situation when he got to Buffalo is suspect.

This true but like I said you have to play perfect every snap and our LBs need all the protection they can get.

I would rather have JP Losman, VY & Levi Brown over the QBs on our current roster. IJS

ouch, true.

reminds me of jauron's defense. worked awesome assuming you have 11 HOF players out there.

Yep, I recall how Dave said he was going to have our run up the field and be aggressive and I thought great here we go again RBs ripping huge chunks and out LBs taking on O-lineman, but I was hopeful that maybe Dave could get it done. This has not happened and we don't have the Talent to do it.

Gap control? So what is Kyle saying a bunch of guys supposedly some of the best at their positions after playing football for basically their whole lives.Suddenly forgot how to control their gaps? I don't buy it. It's a player being nice and not throwing his coach under the bus.

Really? surely you have seen these games? Dareus and Mario are playing worse than ever and aren't a good fit for this system as they are very big for their positions. Kyle is really the only one that's good at it and our LBs are too small to be taking on OL-men.

reminds me of jauron's defense. worked awesome assuming you have 11 HOF players out there.

Except that the Jauron defense worked decently well with 0 HOF players.

This true but like I said you have to play perfect every snap and our LBs need all the protection they can get.

If the DL was penetrating into the backfield and disrupting things then everyone else would not have to play perfect. The offense would be reacting to them and there would be lots of blocking breakdowns leading to free men. The single gap scheme is actually much simpler to play well than a two-gap defense.

I agree with you about the linebackers, however. They could use all the help they can get.

Agreed. I felt like I saw this a ton from the LBs lately. And then after awhile your just demoralized. Instead of making big plays our lbs need to step back and focus on just making textbook plays with free lancing.

If they would just aggressively get to their holes which are there because the DLmen are occupying blockers, especially our DTs, one of whom is always double-teamed, most of the troubles would be solved. They are reading too much and slow to get there and we've all seen the result. I know it's a shock to some, but our LBs just aren't that good.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Thats not what 2 gap means

it means one person covers two gaps,

which means another person is covering the one of the two gaps, so you end up with each gap covered by two people.

Your NT covers both A gaps and the ILBs cover one of A and one of the Bs, the DE covers one B and one C and so on