My Thoughts on the Team for what it's worth

Nasty

I have to admit I am not a coach, player, or expert on football. I don't get to into the play calling and formation of plays and what the play is suppose to do. I would say I am a loyal, pashionate, and dedicated fan. But I have to say I hate going to work Monday making excuses for our team. Many of the posters here on the board say "stay the course," or "the important games are the next two," which both statements may be true, but there is something wrong with this team especially the way we lost the last two games. This team gave up. They go through the motions and don't really play like they believe in the system. Compared to the Bills games of the early 90's they played with pashion and a purpose, this team does neither. Don't get me wrong I love the Bills, and the season isn't over yet, but in reality it is and here is why:

1. We need a QB and there is nothing that will change that until we get one. I am not talking about someone's career backup like Fitz is and was in Cinny. He just doesn't look comfortable when throughing the ball, even the deep ball, not like Kelly did, even T. Edwards (yes I said it) looked more comfortable throwing the ball IMO although most of his passes were short. I was thinking what it would take the Bills to trade for K. Cousins from Washington. Obviously RG3 is their QB of the future and if we got Cousins he would at least give us a backup QB we can grow on and learn something from Fitz. Next year Fitz should be an Offensive consultant instead of a starting QB. What do you think it would take. I would go with a 3rd and a 6th rounder.

2. We need a new DC now on this team one that isn't afraid to blitz. There is too much talent on that side of the ball to waste this year and if we stick with the stash it will be a waste. After watching the games and hearing the comitators we don't blitz enough. Sure we have studs up front, our LB's are weak and our DB's are weak. We need to blitz every down and roll the dice. I wouldn't mind giving up big plays if we are trying to make em. We never blitz and I was wondering how teams gameplan for us. It's easy our 5 offensive linemen and RB will block your 4 DL all day because numbers don't lie. 6 will beat 4 all day. Then the teams expose how weak our LB's and DB's really are. I will use a line from R. Ryan "Blitz and then Blitz some more" I know those front 4 are good and blitzing would at least change it up and take some of the preasure off of them.

3. As much as we think Gaily is an offensive mind, which he probably is, I think he needs to give those duties to an Offensive Coordinator instead of doing it all by himself. I would really like to see someone in the booth calling the plays on Offense and let Chan work the sidelines. I think he is doing too much and needs to let someone "train" underneath him or even put his two sense in on defense also. I think being just a "head coach" instead of "head coach/offensive coordinator" is too much for anyone and doesn't bring the team together.

First and formost we need some young talent with an upside at QB and now is the time to see what Cousins has because we all know Thigpen doesn't have it. If we spend a 3rd and 6th (or something similar) and he doesn't work out or appear to have what it takes we would still have our number 1 pick (and right now it looks like it will be pretty high like top 5) to draft the best QB available

There is no reason to blow picks to get a QB for this season because the defense sucks, the team is in a hole that virtually eliminates them from the playoffs, and they will need the picks they have to get a new QB.

This season is beyond being salvaged.

Edited by Geno Smith's Arm

I understand the need for answers... Cousins might be better, but the bills need to get serious, get a top 3 pick or what Everett it takes and get a real qb.

Watch Ryan or Brady or Rodgers or luck or RG or brees .... They make they plays our guy keeps missing and the other scrubs like him will too.

The attempt at a value solution just will not work. It hasn't since Kelly retired.

There is no reason to blow picks to get a QB for this season because the defense sucks, the team is in a hole that virtually eliminates them from the playoffs, and they will need the picks they have to get a new QB.

the only thing more ridiculous than today's game, is this post.

" a hole that virtually eliminates them from the playoffs"

"this season is beyond being salvaged"

meanwhile, according to the standings, were half a game back, with 2 winnable games coming up.

believe me, im as much of a doom-and-gloom, the sky is falling, fire gailey immediately, cut fitz before arizona, start tavaris jackson guy as any other poster on this board...

but there is so much talent on this team.. defensively, along the o line, in the backfield... one qb switch, hell, even to thigpen, and i firmly.. FIRMLY.. believe this becomes a 5 seed in the afc.

ryan fitzpatrick is the reason we lost today, lost last week, and lost in week 1.

at the most important position in the game of professional football, we have a guy who can not throw the football. it is a problem.

thigpen has looked bad in the preseason because once fitz sits, the starters sit with him. i guarantee you every penny in my bank account, if you put thigpen in, behind our healthy oline, with the weapons we have on offense, he could do so.. SO GODD*MN.. much better than fitzpatrick.

gailey was decisive in 09 when we were 0-2 in cutting edwards.

the time is now. this experiment has ended. swallow the money, cut fitz. its time to move on.

Edited by JohnnyGold

You're dreaming.

dreaming?

were 2-3.

were not 0-5.

the last wild-card is 2-2. we are literally half a game back, and with the second half of our schedule being mostly at home, and mostly against mediocre to terrible teams, the odds of us getting a wild card are great.

fitz is so bad, youre not realizing how much better we would be with a quarterback who is SOMEWHAT competent.

if teams were forced to start their drives at say... oh, idk... their own 20 after we kicked off, maybe they would have a harder time scoring than when they start their drives at OUR 20?

just a thought.

Is it the players or the scheme to put them to success. Sure they don't have play makers at the LB position...but that front four is supposed to be dominant. This is simply poor coaching.

Yeah, the defensive performances (record-breaking in their futility over the last 2 weeks) had nothing to do with the losses

if the defense showed up to PLAY today, and held the san francisco 49ers to 6 points, we STILL would have lost, and lost bad.

why play defense if you know anything less than a shutout is probably going to result in a loss?

i hope fitz is cut tomorrow, i really do. the only thing that would make me happier at this point is if he's cut tonight.

dreaming?

were 2-3.

were not 0-5.

the last wild-card is 2-2. we are literally half a game back, and with the second half of our schedule being mostly at home, and mostly against mediocre to terrible teams, the odds of us getting a wild card are great.

fitz is so bad, youre not realizing how much better we would be with a quarterback who is SOMEWHAT competent.

if teams were forced to start their drives at say... oh, idk... their own 20 after we kicked off, maybe they would have a harder time scoring than when they start their drives at OUR 20?

just a thought.

Reading this post wasted 30 seconds of my life!~

He must be a troll.

I understand the math, No, they aren't mathematically out yet. But based on what I have seen, and based on the history of the team, and based on the history of the league, the likelihood of a team that has suffered these kinds of losses, after losing 7 in a row the previous year, and 8 straight the prior season, with the same coach, and the same QB, the likelihood of that team suddenly turning it all around and making the playoffs is SLIM.

It's a painful thing to accept that your team is out of it after week 5, but you will get there.

Is it the players or the scheme to put them to success. Sure they don't have play makers at the LB position...but that front four is supposed to be dominant. This is simply poor coaching.

Ganesh, I respect many of your posts, but that picture of Eric Wood is so bad that it's painful to look at. He is one of my favorite players, and I think it would do more honor to him if you changed it.

Ganesh, this is more than bad coaching, it is also bad throwing. Very bad throwing. And there is no one available to throw it better.

Edited by Geno Smith's Arm

the only thing more ridiculous than today's game, is this post.

" a hole that virtually eliminates them from the playoffs"

"this season is beyond being salvaged"

meanwhile, according to the standings, were half a game back, with 2 winnable games coming up.

believe me, im as much of a doom-and-gloom, the sky is falling, fire gailey immediately, cut fitz before arizona, start tavaris jackson guy as any other poster on this board...

but there is so much talent on this team.. defensively, along the o line, in the backfield... one qb switch, hell, even to thigpen, and i firmly.. FIRMLY.. believe this becomes a 5 seed in the afc.

ryan fitzpatrick is the reason we lost today, lost last week, and lost in week 1.

at the most important position in the game of professional football, we have a guy who can not throw the football. it is a problem.

thigpen has looked bad in the preseason because once fitz sits, the starters sit with him. i guarantee you every penny in my bank account, if you put thigpen in, behind our healthy oline, with the weapons we have on offense, he could do so.. SO GODD*MN.. much better than fitzpatrick.

gailey was decisive in 09 when we were 0-2 in cutting edwards.

the time is now. this experiment has ended. swallow the money, cut fitz. its time to move on.

I wouldn't say Pigpen would do better than Fitzsucksshit, but I know he wouldn't be worse. If only those broken ribs would heal....

Edited by Azucho98

He must be a troll.

I understand the math, No, they aren't mathematically out yet. But based on what I have seen, and based on the history of the team, and based on the history of the league, the likelihood of a team that has suffered these kinds of losses, after losing 7 in a row the previous year, and 8 straight the prior season, with the same coach, and the same QB, the likelihood of that team suddenly turning it all around and making the playoffs is SLIM.

It's a painful thing to accept that your team is out of it after week 5, but you will get there.

Ganesh, I respect many of your posts, but that picture of Eric Wood is so bad that it's painful to look at. He is one of my favorite players, and I think it would do more honor to him if you changed it.

That's Eric's rookie picture. Much better than the somber looking wood after these two blow out losses.

Ganesh, this is more than bad coaching, it is also bad throwing. Very bad throwing. And there is no one available to throw it better.

I agree that this offense has been horrible with some bad throwing...Also, the 2 RB system is just not working...I think the Bills just need to go back to having Spiller being the main back until he sucks...There is no rhythm in this offense.

Having said all that it simply does not excuse this defense from wilting like that. Also, where are the INTs....games are won with turnovers and avoiding turnovers...We simply haven't been able to generate turnovers inspite of teams throwing so much at us....The schemes have simply not taken advantage of the strengths of this team.

I think you might be overstating the problem, and oversimplifying the solution.