2013 Summer Movie: "The Lone Ranger"

Mark Vader

I've only seen Armie in The Social Network, where he was very solid, so it will be interesting to see him in a leading role along side one of the greatest actors of his generation. It will be nice to see another big screen adaptation of the Lone Ranger. There was a version that came out when I was a kid in the 80s that I really loved, but I think I'm one of the few who saw it, let alone liked it.

Could be a fun movie, and looks like it will have a good blend of action & adventure. Tom Wilkinson, Helena Bonham Carter & William Fichtner are in it as well. So the cast looks solid.

My question is: Why is the Lone Ranger wearing a badge?

Could be a fun movie, and looks like it will have a good blend of action & adventure. Tom Wilkinson, Helena Bonham Carter & William Fichtner are in it as well. So the cast looks solid.

My question is: Why is the Lone Ranger wearing a badge?

Wasn't he originally a Texas Ranger?

And didn't they kill this movie a while ago?

Wasn't he originally a Texas Ranger?

I believe he was a lawman at first. But I have no memory of him wearing a badge as the Lone Ranger.

Disney didn't kill this movie they delayed it and did some script changes. I think originally they wanted to add a fantastical element to the movie. Something involving werewolves, but they scrapped that idea. A wise move in my opinion.

Many, many times.

The writers (same guys who did Pirates and Shrek) had this set up at a different production company who sat on it for years. They refused to sell it back the writers and every attempt to get it made under that banner failed to the point where the producers just sat on it to keep it from going to a competitor. As soon as the option lapsed (along with that shingle's deal), Elliot and Rossio snatched it back with Bruckheimer behind them. It got set up under Cook (I think?) then it was pulled along with the regime change at Disney. Then because Depp is Depp and Bruckheimer is one of the last uber-producers left, they managed to get it done despite several stoppages in pre-production due to budgetary and script reasons.

I'm VERY curious as to how this movie will turn out. I'm a huge fan of the writers, they're brilliant and have dedicated a large chunk of their careers to seeing this thing through -- those sorts of projects go one of two ways in my experience. I wasn't blown away by the trailer but I'll be there to check this one out.

Many, many times.

The writers (same guys who did Pirates and Shrek) had this set up at a different production company who sat on it for years. They refused to sell it back the writers and every attempt to get it made under that banner failed to the point where the producers just sat on it to keep it from going to a competitor. As soon as the option lapsed (along with that shingle's deal), Elliot and Rossio snatched it back with Bruckheimer behind them. It got set up under Cook (I think?) then it was pulled along with the regime change at Disney. Then because Depp is Depp and Bruckheimer is one of the last uber-producers left, they managed to get it done despite several stoppages in pre-production due to budgetary and script reasons.

As an outsider looking in this sounds like something I saw on 'Entourage'. Am I wrong?

As an outsider looking in this sounds like something I saw on 'Entourage'. Am I wrong?

It's definitely familiar in that regard. Sadly it's a pretty common tale in this town. I like to believe good ideas will always win out -- but that's not always the case. Lots of politics. Entourage got that part exactly right. It's high school extended.

Coming next July: http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi3207308313/

Armie Hammer gets a chance to make a big step in Hollywood. Although everyone is watching Johnny Depp as Tonto.

Obama would make a better Tonto with Rev Wright as the Lone Ranger entirely filmed on the S side of Chicago, or better, Detroit..