Lets look at Mario Williams Career Stats and pretend now we are shocke

cmjoyce113

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The board used to be readable. In March we had a thread 200 pages long about how excited we were to have this guy. Now he is a 100 million dollar mistake.

Sometimes I just don't understand this place.

You and me both. I am trying to stay positive about this and give him the benifit of the doubt, but it is almost impossible. Having a sprained wrist really hampers your ability to do a lot of things. Try picking up a 10 pound weight and move it around let alone fight a 300lb man.

The board used to be readable. In March we had a thread 200 pages long about how excited we were to have this guy. Now he is a 100 million dollar mistake.

Sometimes I just don't understand this place.

You and me both. I am trying to stay positive about this and give him the benifit of the doubt, but it is almost impossible. Having a sprained wrist really hampers your ability to do a lot of things. Try picking up a 10 pound weight and move it around let alone fight a 300lb man.

There seems to be two types here.

Types like the three of us (and others), who look for opportunities to praise, admire, cheer for and (generally speaking) like the players on the team we have opted to root for. Sometimes we over-stretch, granted, but only as far as board members on the opposite side of the spectrum, those who are looking for any excuse to berate, belittle, and abandon our guys.

Since the decision is ours, and all the accompanying pride and agony self inflicted, those in the latter camp never cease to confound me.

While I personally know you can't just judge a players success on their sack number lets looks at that for his year by year for his career.

2006 - He had 4.5 sacks his rookie season and they all came in a 5 game stretch. Where he has 1.5, 0, 1,1,1.

2007- He had 14 sacks. 8 of his sack came in 3 games. He season split looks like this: 2,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1,2.5,1,3.5,1, 0

2008- He had 12 sacks. He had 3 - 2 sack games and 1 3 sack game. Here's his season: 2,0,0,2,2,0,1,1,0,0,0,3,0,0,0,1

2009- He had 9 sacks - 1 - 2 sack game: 0,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,1,2,0,0,1

2010- 8.5 sacks with a 3 sack game and 2 sack game. 1,3,0,1,0,0,0,.5,0,2,1,0,0 (played in 13 games)

2011 - 5 sacks in 5 games he played in before injury...he had 2 - 2 sack games: 2,0,0,2,1

2012- Through 4 games he has 1.5 sacks that came in 1 game.

So if we are ONLY looking at SACK numbers Mario Williams has 54.5 career sacks. He has played in 86 games by my count. Out of those games he has had sacks in only 38 of them. That is 44%.

35.5 of those sacks have come in just 14 games. That leaves 19 sacks in the other 72 games he has played in.

If we are judging only sack numbers because that's all the time I have to do you can see Mario is a VERY streaky player. If we looked at this ahead of time we would have known this, but I am sure most didn't realize just how streaky his sacks are.

I am not defending him, or saying he sucks, just simply looking at his career stats.

I can draw this conclusion: Mario will have 2 or 3 more multi sack games this year and finish with around 10 sacks. That will leave 12 games where he has no sacks or 1 sack.

Sorry, but these "stats" do nothing to prove your vague point. There is no comparison level here. I'm pretty sure other good pass rushers also don't get a sack in EVERY game. Those numbers and the production look pretty good to me.

I would have liked to see more from Williams at this point, but it's still a little early to be freaking out.

Types like the three of us (and others), who look for opportunities to praise, admire, cheer for and (generally speaking) like the players on the team we have opted to root for. Sometimes we over-stretch, granted, but only as far as board members on the opposite side of the spectrum, those who are looking for any excuse to berate, belittle, and abandon our guys.

Since the decision is ours, and all the accompanying pride and agony self inflicted, those in the latter camp never cease to confound me.

I just don't get it. Everyone was all about him signing and 4 games into his Bills carrer you would think he has not produced anything for 2-3 years.

It makes me want to read this board less and less. That bothers me because ive made friends on here and love talking football. But the constant negativity is taking a toll on me as a poster

Sorry, but these "stats" do nothing to prove your vague point. There is no comparison level here. I'm pretty sure other good pass rushers also don't get a sack in EVERY game. Those numbers and the production look pretty good to me.

I would have liked to see more from Williams at this point, but it's still a little early to be freaking out.

I am in no way freaking out. I guess my point was that most pass rushers are streaky. Mario has been streaky his whole career and I think that is to be expected this year. I just found it interesting that so many of his sacks came in so few games.