Accountability...Performance...Coaching

This is a talented team with real depth...Haven't been able to say that for several years. As we've seen, player performance is key to holding onto your Job, ie. Edwards, Moorman, Merriman, et al!

How about the same accountability for the coaches? Sorry, but I truly believe that the game, at the NFL level, has passed Wanny by. It's evident in his lack of making any adjustments in key matchups (Jets & Pats). Sanchez is not a good QB. He's worse when you put pressure on him & from what I recall, there was none when they tried to get to him only rushing 4. Brady, on the other hand, is a great QB, love him or hate him. However, the key to beating the Pats is to get to him...and again, rushing 4 DID NOT WORK. The great defenses in this league live and die by the blitz and this defense completely avoids it.

Now, I'm not saying some of the woes don't rest on the shoulders of our $100M players, but scheme and game planning can make all the difference. The Pats' patchwork OL, without Mankins, is NOT GOOD, et they looked like a bunch of perennial pro bowlers...who wouldn't when you have basic assignments all game long? There was absolutely nothing thrown at them to keep them guessing and potentially make big mistakes. Same goes of the Jets, albeit their OL is better. Against Cleveland and KC, although not elite in the OL department, we blitzed, got to the QB, forced errors and got a ton of pressure.

Respecting the ability of your opponents is one thing, but looking like your absolutely afraid of them is is detrimental...obviously.

My point, although not popular, is that the coaching is the problem here folks. Forget about talent, it's there! You can have all the talent in the world, but that doesn't mean squat when your coach is out of league and completely outclassed. Wanny needs to show something real soon to thwart a call of his head on a platter. regardless of any feelings of making in season coaching changes.

Flame away!

I completely agree, no flaming away here....Wanny needs to step the F up or be shipped the F out....I dont even care if we play street ball with no coordinator (I know, unrealistic) for the rest of the year, it would be better than what has happened thus far on the defensive side of the ball....

like you said, yes the players deserve SOME blame, but what the hell has Wanny been thinking thus far? maybe he truly does not know the NFL game anymore...

I agree that the defensive gameplan did not work and was not altered at all when it was clear it was not working - that's on the coaches. What's not on the coaches is guys not performing - plenty of times guys on the front four were not doubled up and still nobody seemed to be able to beat the protection - that's NOT on the coaches. I want to believe that the talent is there and that we had a bad day, but there is that nagging feeling that we don't have as much talent in some areas as we'd like to think. Talent isn't based on what you did in the past or what things look like on paper - talent is how you perform on Sunday.

You hit the nail on the head here. The Bills have been disadvantaged via coaching matchups, I dare say since Wade was run out of town. Not that Wade was top tier but he did put out a great defense and was the last coach to take us to the playoffs.

The hard truth since is that working under the current ownership as head coach has not been a hot gig for members of the coaching profession, So we get a constant flow of 'B' level coaching and it shows on the field every Sunday and especially when going up against the top teams.

How does a deep team get thoroughly beaten when backups play backups in the pre-season? It stands to reason that good depth will (EDIT: beat) opponents' depth, yet we've not seen that. Buffalo's second and third stringers are routinely pounded, but we have depth? And if there's talent there, why can't they be more competitive instead of these lopsided losses which continue to mount?

And if the coaching is bad, is that not a reflection on the personnel folks? And aren't the personnel people in concert with the coaching making decisions on player acquisitions? This problem goes deeper than simply saying the coaching is poor. It's a fundamental breakdown of personnel management to develop a plan, an identity, on how they're going to win football games.

Edited by BillsVet

This is a talented team with real depth...Haven't been able to say that for several years. As we've seen, player performance is key to holding onto your Job, ie. Edwards, Moorman, Merriman, et al!

How about the same accountability for the coaches? Sorry, but I truly believe that the game, at the NFL level, has passed Wanny by. It's evident in his lack of making any adjustments in key matchups (Jets & Pats). Sanchez is not a good QB. He's worse when you put pressure on him & from what I recall, there was none when they tried to get to him only rushing 4. Brady, on the other hand, is a great QB, love him or hate him. However, the key to beating the Pats is to get to him...and again, rushing 4 DID NOT WORK. The great defenses in this league live and die by the blitz and this defense completely avoids it.

Now, I'm not saying some of the woes don't rest on the shoulders of our $100M players, but scheme and game planning can make all the difference. The Pats' patchwork OL, without Mankins, is NOT GOOD, et they looked like a bunch of perennial pro bowlers...who wouldn't when you have basic assignments all game long? There was absolutely nothing thrown at them to keep them guessing and potentially make big mistakes. Same goes of the Jets, albeit their OL is better. Against Cleveland and KC, although not elite in the OL department, we blitzed, got to the QB, forced errors and got a ton of pressure.

Respecting the ability of your opponents is one thing, but looking like your absolutely afraid of them is is detrimental...obviously.

My point, although not popular, is that the coaching is the problem here folks. Forget about talent, it's there! You can have all the talent in the world, but that doesn't mean squat when your coach is out of league and completely outclassed. Wanny needs to show something real soon to thwart a call of his head on a platter. regardless of any feelings of making in season coaching changes.

Flame away!

His last job was HC at Pitt, and I seem to recall something strange happened. It wasn’t clear if he voluntarily stepped down or was fired, but the strange part was that he relinquished his HC duties during the season, but was kept around for something, but was gone after the season, to the best of my knowledge…… Pitt fans?

If the worst thing to happen this year is watching a team have one clunker followed up by two convincing wins, I can live with that. Every team....EVERY team is going to lose a game here and there. After the Jets debacle we learned from our mistakes, then beat up on two teams we should have beat up on.

Then we made a whole slew of NEW mistakes, and my expectation is that we'll learn from them, too.

You think the coaches aren't rewinding game tape over and over and over again, shaming $100 million Mario infront of his colleagues EVERY day? I'm certain they are. He knows what he has to do, Kyle Williams knows what he has to do, Marcel knows what he has to do, and Mark Anderson is Leodis McKelvin + 100 pounds, so you never know what you're getting there...

In a perfect universe we'll err, learn, learn some more, may be err a little, but nevertheless be improving as the year goes on.

**The best we can say for now is that we haven't made the same tactical error twice. Yes, adjustments have been subpar, but it's not like we're consistently weak in one area.

I couldn't agree more. The coaching staff is the problem here. When you consistently get not only beat, but destroyed by the teams in your own division, that is an indicator that there is something lacking in the coaching department. Also, when the team loses 7 and 8 games in a row and you can not figure out how to stop the slide, that is another indicator that the coaching is inadequate. I like Chan Gailey as a person and I believe he has some merit as an OC, but his record as a head coach speaks for itself. And Wannstedt appears to be clueless. Unfortunately it is time for another coaching change and that could mean more losing for awhile.