Happy birthday compact disc

Just Jack

They just don't know any better. A ear piece hooked to a phone is all they know. I would like to see their eyes hearing vinyl played though JBL speakers.

You're not wrong.

I played my roommate Marvin Gaye's What's Going On two years ago and the dude has not bought a CD since. He has, however, bought well over 100 LPs. And that is a perfectly reasonable reaction.

The real drag is artists have to conform to the limitations of the medium. We can't have another Sgt Pepper's or Astral Weeks or Lumpy Gravy or In Search Of Space because there just isn't enough space on digital. MP3 holds about 5% of the sound of a vinyl record. CD is at about 15%. Everything just gets compressed and smashed together. Can barely even hear what's going on. Don't even get me started on the loss of artwork....looking at postage stamp sized pictures of Funkadelic albums in an ipod.....who wants that?

We demand bigger and clearer televisions, 1080p Blu Ray versions of Ben Stiller movies...but the loss of 95% of the sound quality of music makes sense?

People...you'll always be a mystery. Now get off my lawn.

They just don't know any better. A ear piece hooked to a phone is all they know. I would like to see their eyes hearing vinyl played though JBL speakers.

I could do without the JBLs, but I'm a believer in vinyl...

Don't like JBLs?

Not my favorite, but I know they have a large following. My flavor is more vinyl with Magnepans or DeVore Fidelity :)

and yet we hardly knew ye...

I remember my first 2 cds I got for christmas one year; Nelson - After the Rain and Styx - Edge of the Century

Now it's music through my iphone and mp3 cds in my car.

Ouch!

I remember, I worked at Tower Records in Manhattan, at the time...we got an employee discount on CD players at the time, through Denon. The machines were expensive as hell in those days...so, I order it, and it comes in on a Friday, which also happened to be payday. I was stoked, thinking, what would be the first CD I purchased. I decided to buy 4 Rolling Stones CD's...it was "Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile On Main Street".... then, as I am about to purchase my CD's, I look up and see John Denver shopping in the store. Remembering that Denvers' "Home Again" was the first vinyl album I ever owned (it was mine, not my sisters, not my brothers...mine!), I decided to put "Beggar's Banquet" back, and grab a CD of "Home Again". I went over and told John Denver my tale, the first CD I would ever purchase was also the first vinyl album I ever owned...he chuckled and said "Far out!" He autographed the CD for me...still have it...I think I listened to it once!

I still love vinyl too...but I just can't afford to go back... I am old now...I don't hear as fast as I used to...CD's sound alright to me...dinosaurs that they are....

You're not wrong.

I played my roommate Marvin Gaye's What's Going On two years ago and the dude has not bought a CD since. He has, however, bought well over 100 LPs. And that is a perfectly reasonable reaction.

The real drag is artists have to conform to the limitations of the medium. We can't have another Sgt Pepper's or Astral Weeks or Lumpy Gravy or In Search Of Space because there just isn't enough space on digital. MP3 holds about 5% of the sound of a vinyl record. CD is at about 15%. Everything just gets compressed and smashed together. Can barely even hear what's going on. Don't even get me started on the loss of artwork....looking at postage stamp sized pictures of Funkadelic albums in an ipod.....who wants that?

We demand bigger and clearer televisions, 1080p Blu Ray versions of Ben Stiller movies...but the loss of 95% of the sound quality of music makes sense?

People...you'll always be a mystery. Now get off my lawn.

I understand what you are saying... BUT, it is all about being portable and small when it comes to listening. Yeah, not better... But less hassle... Can't exactly have the whole back seat taken up by the 8-tracks... Same with the going over a set of railroads tracks having the LP skip... :nana:

Again... The name of the game is portability... And unfortunately, that comes at a very steep price. People are like bulls in a china shop.

The main reason why I don't invest in a vinyl rig is due to convenience. I'm fully on board with the experience, and anyone who hasn't heard a REAL vinyl set-up is truly missing out. Digitized music lacks some of the heart that vinyl has, IMO, but the price is worth it in terms of the convenience it offers. I typically will go on Amazon, find used copies of whatever music I want to buy for like $3, and then when it shows up in the mail I rip it to iTunes in Apple Lossless. It doesnt matter if the CD case is obliterated or cracked or whatever....as long as the actual physical disc is intact, once I rip the music it goes into a box in the closet, never to be heard from again. I have my entire library of music digitized and accessible with the click of a button to just about anywhere in the house. If I want to take it on the road, I just sync my iPod and I'm good to go. That convenience is worth enough to me to forego the extra pleasure I would get from having a full-fledged vinyl rig in my main system. I often toy with the idea of putting one together since there seems to be a resurgence of available titles on vinyl, but it would be in addition to my existing music collection, not in place of it.

Ouch!

I remember, I worked at Tower Records in Manhattan, at the time...we got an employee discount on CD players at the time, through Denon. The machines were expensive as hell in those days...so, I order it, and it comes in on a Friday, which also happened to be payday. I was stoked, thinking, what would be the first CD I purchased. I decided to buy 4 Rolling Stones CD's...it was "Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile On Main Street".... then, as I am about to purchase my CD's, I look up and see John Denver shopping in the store. Remembering that Denvers' "Home Again" was the first vinyl album I ever owned (it was mine, not my sisters, not my brothers...mine!), I decided to put "Beggar's Banquet" back, and grab a CD of "Home Again". I went over and told John Denver my tale, the first CD I would ever purchase was also the first vinyl album I ever owned...he chuckled and said "Far out!" He autographed the CD for me...still have it...I think I listened to it once!

I still love vinyl too...but I just can't afford to go back... I am old now...I don't hear as fast as I used to...CD's sound alright to me...dinosaurs that they are....

Hey I was 9 or 10 at the time and have 2 older sisters I'm lucky it wasn't New Kids on the Block :sick: . Your "first cd" story is much cooler than mine but I still get a kick out of hearing after the rain and show me the way. After doing much thinking it was the christmas right before the gulf war and super bowl 25 so I would have been 9 years old. After the Rain cd was heavy music to me then :bag::lol:

The main reason why I don't invest in a vinyl rig is due to convenience. I'm fully on board with the experience, and anyone who hasn't heard a REAL vinyl set-up is truly missing out. Digitized music lacks some of the heart that vinyl has, IMO, but the price is worth it in terms of the convenience it offers. I typically will go on Amazon, find used copies of whatever music I want to buy for like $3, and then when it shows up in the mail I rip it to iTunes in Apple Lossless. It doesnt matter if the CD case is obliterated or cracked or whatever....as long as the actual physical disc is intact, once I rip the music it goes into a box in the closet, never to be heard from again. I have my entire library of music digitized and accessible with the click of a button to just about anywhere in the house. If I want to take it on the road, I just sync my iPod and I'm good to go. That convenience is worth enough to me to forego the extra pleasure I would get from having a full-fledged vinyl rig in my main system. I often toy with the idea of putting one together since there seems to be a resurgence of available titles on vinyl, but it would be in addition to my existing music collection, not in place of it.

It's worth having a good rig if only for those select albums you want to sit down and listen to, not just hear. Some albums just don't even make any sense on any other format. As a bonus the vast majority of new vinyl now come with a free digital download. Best of both worlds.

It's worth having a good rig if only for those select albums you want to sit down and listen to, not just hear. Some albums just don't even make any sense on any other format. As a bonus the vast majority of new vinyl now come with a free digital download. Best of both worlds.

That's a very compelling point, and it's one that I have really considered over the last couple of years in particular.