Please watch this video (Bills Defense related)

Got_Wood

Take a look at this highlight video starting at 1:06 (link below). The Bills have one linebacker in the game (Barnett), 3 corners (Rogers, Gilmore, Williams), and 3 safeties (Byrd, Searcy, and Scott). And not only that, they have Mark Anderson (one of our prized pass rushers) drop into COVERAGE.

At the snap, our entire defensive backfield sprints backwards away from the ball leaving about 20-25 yards of open field for Welker to run an easy underneath route. Is this some kind of pop warner joke they're playing on us here? Not only is this passive and scared football, but it's unintelligent football. Why do we need 8 guys in coverage 30 yards down the field to defend 3 wide receivers and 1 tight end???

When our worst division rival comes into town, you smash them in the mouth and make them regret walking into the stadium. Keep our 3 starting linebackers in there, and when Welker runs underneath routes make him pay for it. Make sure one safety has an eye on Gronkowski up the seam all day. And USE our multimillion dollar pass rushers to limit Brady's time in the pocket.

I'm once again embarassed to be a Bills fan today.

http://www.nfl.com/v...ills-highlights

Here is what a team should do against the Patriots. See this video at 0:40 (link below), when the Cardinals played the Patriots two weeks ago. They have 4 down lineman and 2 linebackers in a standard nickel formation with an extra corner in there. Before Welkers underneath route develops, there's a linebacker in the flats blocking the short route over the middle, and the pressure from the defensive ends closes the pocket around Brady and he gets sacked.

http://www.nfl.com/v...iots-highlights

Edited by Got_Wood

Thanks..Great find..I know, Im a saleman and I know how to set up a defense against The Pats better than Wandstadt did yesterday...No surprise that Belicheck and Brady figured out how to counter it.

Here is the long and short:

We have some talent-BUT they are not being put in a position to succeed.

* Gailey is an offensive coordinator-Not a HC

* Fitzpatrick is a loser with no arm-You dont somehow turn it on after 8 years in the NFL as a 28 year old-It aint gonna happen. It is a QB driven league-we dont have a qb so we dont have anything right now.

* Wandstadt has been living off his reputation with Dallas for 20 years now-The game has passed him by. He clearly sucks.

Thanks..Great find..I know, Im a saleman and I know how to set up a defense against The Pats better than Wandstadt did yesterday...No surprise that Belicheck and Brady figured out how to counter it.

Here is the long and short:

We have some talent-BUT they are not being put in a position to succeed.

* Gailey is an offensive coordinator-Not a HC

* Fitzpatrick is a loser with no arm-You dont somehow turn it on after 8 years in the NFL as a 28 year old-It aint gonna happen. It is a QB driven league-we dont have a qb so we dont have anything right now.

* Wandstadt has been living off his reputation with Dallas for 20 years now-The game has passed him by. He clearly sucks.

I think our biggest issue over the last decade and a half has been at the QB position. The organization doesn't seem to understand the type of guy this team needs at the helm. We need a tough guy. We need a leader of men. Someone these guys want to go to war with. Instead we've brought in guys like Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and now Ryan Fitzpatrick. Each of them had some talent, but they shared one thing in common... they are all timid and shy guys. When these guys got knocked in the mouth, they had a hard time getting up again and bouncing back. Even their voices are all timid.

We need a tough guy and a competitor. A guy that wants so badly to beat division rivals that he doesn't sleep at night. That's why I would've even taken guys like Jay Cutler and Tim Tebow when we had the opportunity (I know I know these guys aren't great QB's). Even though these guys aren't prototype QB's, they are tough as nails. And their teams have always rallied behind them when the game is on the line. These guys don't back down.

Now there have been much better options out there. We could have had guys like Russell Wilson, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallett, Josh Freeman, and Joe Flacco, just to name a few. Some of these guys haven't proven anything yet, but these are guys I would want to give a shot on this team.

I seriously hope that this is the year the front office decides to do what it takes to get the QB of the future. No 2nd round "maybe he will turn out" guys. We have to bet the farm on this guy. Trade away future picks if necessary. Who knows what will happen. But we'll never know if we don't try.

I think our biggest issue over the last decade and a half has been at the QB position. The organization doesn't seem to understand the type of guy this team needs at the helm. We need a tough guy. We need a leader of men. Someone these guys want to go to war with. Instead we've brought in guys like Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and now Ryan Fitzpatrick. Each of them had some talent, but they shared one thing in common... they are all timid and shy guys. When these guys got knocked in the mouth, they had a hard time getting up again and bouncing back. Even their voices are all timid.

We need a tough guy and a competitor. A guy that wants so badly to beat division rivals that he doesn't sleep at night. That's why I would've even taken guys like Jay Cutler and Tim Tebow when we had the opportunity (I know I know these guys aren't great QB's). Even though these guys aren't prototype QB's, they are tough as nails. And their teams have always rallied behind them when the game is on the line. These guys don't back down.

Now there have been much better options out there. We could have had guys like Russell Wilson, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallett, Josh Freeman, and Joe Flacco, just to name a few. Some of these guys haven't proven anything yet, but these are guys I would want to give a shot on this team.

I seriously hope that this is the year the front office decides to do what it takes to get the QB of the future. No 2nd round "maybe he will turn out" guys. We have to bet the farm on this guy. Trade away future picks if necessary. Who knows what will happen. But we'll never know if we don't try.

Fitzpatrick did not give up 560 yards in offense, the defense did.

Brady wasn't kidding when he said we were playing the "little guys" and challenging them* to run the ball. Three safeties, three corners and only ONE LB? No wonder both their backs had 100-plus yards each.

Maybe next time we play the Pats*, Wanstache can drop Mario Williams to cover Gronk and Dareus to cover Hernandez.

F'ing joke of a defensive scheme in the second half, and the entire game against the hapless Jets.

Here is the thing. I really think it comes down to the fact that the Pats own the Bills -- and the Bills know it. That starts at the coaching level and goes all the way down to the players. So, instead of trying to play their game and dictate the tone of the game, the coaches fall into the trap of believeing that they have to do "special" things to attack the Pats. They over-think themselves and place the players in inenviable positions. You could see countless times yesterday where the safeties (George Wilson in particular) seemed to be perplexed by the defensive formations -- and as a result became confused.

The intonic thing is that the Pats really do not do anything extradorinary to beat the Bills. For Brady, it really is a simple matter of trying to locate the open receiver. When he saw them in a nickel or dime formation he simply audibled to a run. The Bills would have been much better off sticking with their base 4-3 defense throughout the game.

Now, the inability of the front four to apply consistent pressure -- that is where the pysche and performance of the individual players comes into play. Mario Williams in particular needs to decide whether he is simply happy that he just got paid -- or whether he wants to earn that money. At least with Kelsay, who is nowhere nearly as talented, he gives it his all on every play.

Regardless of what the coaches do, the players need to stand up and be accountable. The is a team that really needs a Ray Lewis type, who has the cajones to get in the face of his teammates and demand their best. They need a leader that stands up and says, "Those Patriots are not coming into our house and embatrassing us!" Someone should have taken issue with the rubbing-their-nose-in-it field goal -- and taken their frustrations out on Brady. Even if it meant a 15-yard penalty. This team is missing that kind of mean streak -- and has for a long time.

Believe it or not, I actually believe that the next 2 games (despite playing teams that are a combined 7-1) actually presents the Bills with a favorable situation. They will in all liklihood revert to the base defense that played well enough the last 2 weeks. That was the defense that was effective at stopping the run -- and placed the opponent in known down and distance. Alex Smith and Kevin Kolb have both been better than competent this year, but neither can carry their respective team if the defense does what it i supposed to. Both the Niners and Cardinals have fine defenses, but the Bills offense has at least shown that it is capable of moving the ball and scoring -- even when they have struggled for periods of time.

If I were Chan I would have them fly out to the West Coast -- and stay there until after the the Cardinals game in 2 weeks. Then, if they manage, to upset both NFC West teams, they will return home with some grit in their bellies.

The defense yesterday was horrible! And, as I've said elsewhere, it amazes me that it seems so obvious to the everyone BUT the Bills' coaching staff. Teams, for years, have been saying you have to cover the receivers because NE is a passing team. So, they drop all these guys into coverage and Brady stands tall and eats them alive. It happens time and time again. The only teams that have ever had success against them are the ones willing to pressure Brady. Everyone sees it, but few do it. I have no idea why?

There was so much wrong with the game plan yesterday (and the one against the Jets) from the formations to the attitude and intensity of the players that it makes a fan wonder... do the coaches have any clue at all how to play in this division? Its like every other team in the division uses previous game tape and steps up their level of play, while the Bills just treat it as though its any other game and completely forget all the past beat downs we've received. It's really quite sickening at times to be a fan of such a clueless and heartless team.