Romney's 2011 taxes

erynthered

maybe (and if so, that's a real indictment of our system) , but this is the superbowl of elections and romney's drop pulls all other repubs down with him. a calculated risk but i'll bet it comes out before nov. if there's any truth to it.

Breaking any story on UBS could bring down quite a few Dems as well. This story won't go anywhere.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again Myth says his 14% is fair and balanced and yet the average family pays 20% taxes, Obama paid 25 % in taxes.

Keep thinking Myth is on your side. Remember your kids attending college, your retired parents or grandparents are all part of the 47% freeloaders who will vote for Obama.

You pay SS for decades don't you feel "entitled" to get paid what you invested into it?

Again Myth says his 14% is fair and balanced and yet the average family pays 20% taxes, Obama paid 25 % in taxes.

Keep thinking Myth is on your side. Remember your kids attending college, your retired parents or grandparents are all part of the 47% freeloaders who will vote for Obama.

You pay SS for decades don't you feel "entitled" to get paid what you invested into it?

Stop comparing Mitts income tax rate to the total payroll tax for a family.

MR paid 14.1% income tax, most Americans paid 3.3% income tax or got money back

From your link:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/06/average-family.html

Edited by Gary M

You are mistating the facts, as usual. Mitt paid 14.1 % for 2011. He paid an average of 20.2% over the last 20 years. Obama paid 20.5% in 2011 on 800k or so income (about 160-170k) Romney paid well more than 10 times what Obama paid.

Even conservatives must admit the charitable deduction edit was hilarious in that 1) w/ out it it would have put him closer to 10 and made him look like a cheat based on 13% comments and 2) he paid more taxes than he had to which by his own words means he isn't qualified to be president hehe

EDIT: Btw I don't really care I just think it's funny and anyone who doesn't admit that is just being partisan...that is funny

Edited by TheNewBills

why would you even make this comparison?

Because what I stated is true. If you had a !@#$ing clue you would understand that there is a difference between earned income such as wages, and capital gains. Our tax code, as screwed up as it is, at least recognizes that investment is good. What percentage would you pay on long-term capital gains?

Because what I stated is true. If you had a !@#$ing clue you would understand that there is a difference between earned income such as wages, and capital gains. Our tax code, as screwed up as it is, at least recognizes that investment is good. What percentage would you pay on long-term capital gains?

Well, don't get your panties all in a bunch. I actually do get the difference between the two. I'm trying to understand why you're comparing what Romney paid (amount, not %) to Obama.

The percentages are the subject of ur rant, but your earlier post was talking about amounts, at least that's how I read it.

Well, don't get your panties all in a bunch. I actually do get the difference between the two. I'm trying to understand why you're comparing what Romney paid (amount, not %) to Obama.

The percentages are the subject of ur rant, but your earlier post was talking about amounts, at least that's how I read it.

MR made more money, paid more taxes and gave more to charity than BO, what is the issue?

Edited by Gary M

My "rant" had to do with with that dumbass, BF4E stating figures that were inaccurate. I gave the correct figures and also stated that Romney paid more than 10 times what Obama paid, even at his lower capital gains rate.

If it was up to me I'd scrap the whole !@#$ing tax code and go with the "Fair Tax". It would virtually eliminate the IRS and cheating. If you are not familiar, Google it.

My "rant" had to do with with that dumbass, BF4E stating figures that were inaccurate. I gave the correct figures and also stated that Romney paid more than 10 times what Obama paid, even at his lower capital gains rate.

If it was up to me I'd scrap the whole !@#$ing tax code and go with the "Fair Tax". It would virtually eliminate the IRS and cheating. If you are not familiar, Google it.

I'm not sold on the "Fair Tax"...but anyone who talks about tax reform without starting with "scrap the whole !@#$ing tax code" is full of **** to begin with.

Even conservatives must admit the charitable deduction edit was hilarious in that 1) w/ out it it would have put him closer to 10 and made him look like a cheat based on 13% comments and 2) he paid more taxes than he had to which by his own words means he isn't qualified to be president hehe

EDIT: Btw I don't really care I just think it's funny and anyone who doesn't admit that is just being partisan...that is funny

What's funny is claiming he'd look like a "cheat" if he took the full deduction for the FOUR MILLION in charitable donations.

you all do realize that any progressive tax system is funamentally a vehicle that results in "redistribution of wealth", exclusive of tax cheats. that system has been the standard for many years and republicans haven't materially changed its progressive nature except to adjust overall rates. does that mean that they're supportive of redistribution?

only for breaking his August statement, not for what % or the $. Que the Obama said he'd be a 1-term president...

Per Price Waterhouse he averaged 20.2% income tax over the last 20 years. His lowest rate in any year was 13.66%. If he wasn't as generous as he was he wouldn't have had the deductions that would have allowed him to pay less than what he chose to do. So, should he have been less generous to live up to your perverted standards? Tell me, if you were in his position, what would you do?

Per Price Waterhouse he averaged 20.2% income tax over the last 20 years. His lowest rate in any year was 13.66%. If he wasn't as generous as he was he wouldn't have had the deductions that would have allowed him to pay less than what he chose to do. So, should he have been less generous to live up to your perverted standards? Tell me, if you were in his position, what would you do?

dude, I have no such standards. I don't think he pays too little or too much. The tax rates are what they are, his income is all unearned, he's entitled to take every deduction and pay whatever rate he complies with.

His statement, and nobody held a gun to his head, was that he never paid less than 13%, so he adjusted his 2011 deductions for charity to match the 13% floor. That's all. If he takes the full deduction as Doc mentioned, it's all legal, but breaks Mitt's own promise, nothing more or less.

I agree that there's people and media that try to compare his unearned rates with those that primarily have earned income, and that's BS. Unless we're willing to raise capital gains to match earned income (which I don't support), they'll never be close, nor should they be.

What would I do if I was in his shoes? I don't know, I probably wouldn't have made that 13% statement before I know what's in my 2011 taxes. But maybe he knew, and the campaign, accountants, etc. agreed he can claim 13% in all years if we take less than the max this year... Who knows?

I think maybe I would've taken the maximum and said "We filed an extension on our 2011 taxes because we didn't have all the data. Once we collected everything, we learned that it was below13% for 2011, but only this year, all other years were 13% or more." He would've taken a little heat, but probably less than he does for adjusting his deduction to match the 13% floor.

most definitely Obama's, but the thread is discussing Mr R's tax rate and how it compares with (fill in the blank), not who broke a worse promise.

Start a flip-flop or gaffe power ranking thread, and maybe you could win some serious cash.

Why does anyone have a problem with Romney amending his taxes to fulfill his promise of not paying less than 13%? If only everyone would follow through with what they say.