Bills on Offense

I would love to see the Bills line up in a three wide receiver formation with Freddie Jackson at running back - Stevie Johnson at WR along with TJ Graham and Donald Jones. Let Stevie and Donald occupy the bulk of the coverage and send Graham deep to beat the Jests coverage for six.

As much as I've always loved that formation, I think we have to see the Bills do what they did in the second meeting last season and that is meet strength with strength. That means the 2 TE power set. We controlled the ball and having Freddy back will make it even better. I was struck by this formation against the Steelers and the recent buffalorumblings article showing how effective it was against the Jest last season has me convinced that's what Chan gives them until they show they can stop it. Our spread formations play right into the teeth of their defensive strengths.

GO BILLS!!!

I was wondering if someone would start a thread titled "What will be the Bills' first offensive play?" I would love to see the play that the OP described as the first play. It seems like having the first play be a loooong pass was something that was typical several years ago. I don't remember what it has been for the past few years.

As much as I've always loved that formation, I think we have to see the Bills do what they did in the second meeting last season and that is meet strength with strength. That means the 2 TE power set. We controlled the ball and having Freddy back will make it even better. I was struck by this formation against the Steelers and the recent buffalorumblings article showing how effective it was against the Jest last season has me convinced that's what Chan gives them until they show they can stop it. Our spread formations play right into the teeth of their defensive strengths.

GO BILLS!!!

Hoping to see a lot of 2 TE myself.

However the OP makes an interesting point. While many here are kinda sick of the 4 wideout stuff, the OP makes the case for a 3 wideout formation.

The question is, what is the 11th position?

Tight end or fullback?

H-back?

However the OP makes an interesting point. While many here are kinda sick of the 4 wideout stuff, the OP makes the case for a 3 wideout formation.

Tight end or fullback?

H-back?

It's gotta be the TE. Single back, TE, and 3 WRs is my favorite spread offensive formation. Problem is, Chandler isn't much of a blocker and I'm not totally sold on his ability to flex if needed. But he's surprised me in the past and I gotta think he's improved his overall game as well.

But now that we've predicted that Chan is gonna go with a double TE power set, he will open in 5 wide and play right into the strength of the Jest.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that Dickerson is gonna get some snaps with the 3 wideout, single back look.

And definitely Lee Smith is gonna play a lot of snaps. I'm glad his ankle wasn't bad enough to even be listed on the injury report.

The chess game aspect of this game is pretty interesting. And Gailey needs to stop the bleeding in his personal match with Rex Ryan.

The topic is offense......I'm glad someone is talking about this, because most people are focused on defense for both of these teams. The Bills are going to mix things up against this team. Rex likes to take risks and send rushers that could be used in coverage. He is very good at disguising how this is done and who will be covering who. Often, who you expect to cover a receiver pre-snap, isn't who is actually there once the play starts. This doesn't happen without having a pretty good understanding of what we do offensively.

Chan forced that plan right out the window in the second game last year by changing up the offensive alignment. When the Bills lined up with just 2 WRs, both on one side of the formation and no one split out to the other side, the whole Jets defense was caught with their pants down. Further mixing up the formation and type of play call kept that defense from keying in on a lot of plays. The jets study our offensive tendencies, and devised ways to stop it. When our guys do something they haven't seen, they get beat. You won't see a spread with the same formation every time. We'll see a lot of things. One TE, two TE, one RB, two RB. WRs lined up all over the place, RBs lined up all over the place, TEs lined up all over the place. Jets won't know who is going where and they cannot do what they do best............key in.

Everyone seems convinced that this will be a low scoring game. I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure the offense is looking to open up a can of whoop ass. They had some success the second game last year against this defense. They will build on what they learned from them.

The topic is offense......I'm glad someone is talking about this, because most people are focused on defense for both of these teams. The Bills are going to mix things up against this team. Rex likes to take risks and send rushers that could be used in coverage. He is very good at disguising how this is done and who will be covering who. Often, who you expect to cover a receiver pre-snap, isn't who is actually there once the play starts. This doesn't happen without having a pretty good understanding of what we do offensively.

Chan forced that plan right out the window in the second game last year by changing up the offensive alignment. When the Bills lined up with just 2 WRs, both on one side of the formation and no one split out to the other side, the whole Jets defense was caught with their pants down. Further mixing up the formation and type of play call kept that defense from keying in on a lot of plays. The jets study our offensive tendencies, and devised ways to stop it. When our guys do something they haven't seen, they get beat. You won't see a spread with the same formation every time. We'll see a lot of things. One TE, two TE, one RB, two RB. WRs lined up all over the place, RBs lined up all over the place, TEs lined up all over the place. Jets won't know who is going where and they cannot do what they do best............key in.

Everyone seems convinced that this will be a low scoring game. I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure the offense is looking to open up a can of whoop ass. They had some success the second game last year against this defense. They will build on what they learned from them.

Good post.

GO BILLS!!!

Stevie Johnson at WR along with TJ Graham and Donald Jones.????

where is Nelson? he is our secound best reciver .

True, yet TJ has the speed to beat the deep coverage

Tight end or fullback?

H-back?

You can keep TE Chandler in, mostly to block to give Fitz more time to unload

Its times like these that I wonder if the Bills should have used the 2010-2011-2012 first round picks on offense rather a back up RB, a DT and a CB.

A decent RT, AJ Green, and Michael Floyd certainly would have the Bills competing with the Patriots for the most potent offense

This game is so important in so many ways. SJ matched up against the leagues best CB, and he has a nagging groin issue again.

If you watched that first game from last year the Bills were dominated more then the score showed. The Jets bumping the receivers on the line and nobody getting open meant Fitz holding the ball longer then he should have. I know I'd be a lot more confidant in the offense if the Bills had a true #2 WR on the team, Nelson and Jones don't scare anyone. TJ needs to show he can catch a ball should Fitz have the opportunity to throw it his way.

The Jets don't have a dominate pass rusher per se. but they manage to get pressure on the QB because they have such good coverage on the opponents receivers.

How will Glenn fair at LT, how will Hairston fair at RT? Will the Bills find a true #2 WR this year or will it be a repeat of last years 4-5 WR sets with only one decent receiver.

One way to take pressure off the QB and the O line is to run the ball non stop with FJ & CJ...GO BILLS!

PS. I really don't know how much cap space the Bills have, if any. But, I'd like to see Plax, and perhaps Chris Cooly (if healthy) in a Bills uni. as I have no faith in anyone but Chandler and SJ.

I think the Bills were one of only 2 teams that scored 3 offensive TD's against the Jest in 2011, and the only team to do it with no INT's.

I think the Bills were one of only 2 teams that scored 3 offensive TD's against the Jest in 2011, and the only team to do it with no INT's.

That really is a testament to just how good the Jest defense really is. I grew up on that side of the ball so maybe I'm a little biased in that direction, but I can really appreciate what Ryan does with a defense. Which is why I look for Chan to stick with what worked in NY last season. Not only did we manage to put up 3 TDs against a great defense, we held the ball for 36 minutes in the process. That was a very telling game and I'm hoping it was indicative of Chan and Fitz finally flattening the curve.

GO BILLS!!!

You can keep TE Chandler in, mostly to block to give Fitz more time to unload

On the other hand, Chandler's greatest value to the team is as a receiver. He and Fitz have a great chemistry.

Meanwhile based on the preseason games, Chandler is still a "work in progress" when it comes to blocking of any kind.

A decent RT, AJ Green, and Michael Floyd certainly would have the Bills competing with the Patriots for the most potent offense

One way to take pressure off the QB and the O line is to run the ball non stop with FJ & CJ...GO BILLS!

I semi agree with that first statement but our D was losing us more games last year than Fitz even after we were hit by so many injuries last year. I always liked the CJ pick, best guy on their board and they did it, judging how the Marshawn thing has played out, now I don't think it was a mistake at all. They really needed to fix the D and I hope they have, now. Plus they did get a deep threat speed guy, it should help (but not sure if it will right away).

I am not sure having a very potent O with a weak D is the way to success for our team we haven't got a Brady for one thing.

(part 2) In our system the way it was last year I would disagree. Getting CJ into space is better than just running him IMHO, I would think that him and FJ get some screens up the middle (attacking the strength of that D, much like passing right at Revis did last year) and that will help free up the rest of the pass game. The Jets are very good against the run. I also agree with the stuff San Jose fan said earlier in the thread, go with what did work last year. I wouldn't count out a few 2 TE sets though either. I would love to see Chan run a much more even run vrs pass balanced attack this year. But as much as I want us to just run over these guys their weakness is Crowmucky (who can be streaky and takes too many chances) and we should test the LBs and new safety tandem in pass coverage. They are stout against the run but are not great at pressure and leave holes when they blitz, Fitz has to see them and we must exploit it.

Edited by bowery4

Its times like these that I wonder if the Bills should have used the 2010-2011-2012 first round picks on offense rather a back up RB, a DT and a CB.

Michael Floyd is the #4 WR on the Cardinals behind Early Doucet and Andre Roberts and is getting outplayed by a UDFA WR behind him, LaRon Byrd, although Floyd did have a spectacular TD in the last preseason game. He has had a terrible camp (and I was high on him myself).

The Jets D is very good. They do their homework against opposing offenses and that is why they are good. They use pre-snap reads and have a game plan for beating what they studied for, but that doesn't make them invincible. People like to say how good Revis island is and how great their blitzes are but there is a downfall to their aggressive style. The Jets coaches are not stupid though. They know offenses typically throw the ball away from Revis and use that knowledge to game plan around as well. Gailey caught on to that and Stevie ended up being the only receiver in the league to catch a TD against him all year. He liked the matchup of Stevie vs Revis one on one. The Jets liked to leave him out on an island and use double coverage in other areas. I can see them sending coverage help toward Revis this time around when lined up against Stevie.

The other thing about this match up I like is both Fred and CJ are healthy. Chan likes players with multiple skill sets. I don't know if anyone noticed, but CJ was much improved with his blocking skills last year. We now have two backs that can block, run and catch. Even McIntyre, who is typically a blocker has been asked to catch the ball in training camp. Guys like Chandler and Mckeller have been spending a lot of time with Pete Metzalaars who has put a big emphasis on blocking. Everyone on this offense have skills that they are good at, but that doesn't mean that that is all they are good for. You will see guys doing things that you would not ordinarily expect. And the beauty of it is no one knows who that will be or what area of the field it will be.

Mark my words. The offense is not going to allow this Jets defense to stymy them.