Pats put Demps on IR

Rookie speedster Jeff Demps goes to IR and can't be recalled

Bill Belichick clarified Demps' standing on the roster, noting that he is not eligible for the new short-term injured reserve category that will allow one player per team to return during the season. The Patriots would have had to keep Demps on the 53-man roster through Tuesday for him to be eligible for that category.

ya, for sure, but how is that circumventing the rules? every time a rookie gets a serious injury and the team IRs him at the cutdown?

I don't think either of those guys were really hurt, and if they were it was very minor. I think both of them were raw talents that both teams didn't want to cut or lose, but didn't want to play either. So they made like they were hurt to IR them so they can spend a year getting stronger and learning the playbook and try again next year.

I don't think either of those guys were really hurt, and if they were it was very minor. I think both of them were raw talents that both teams didn't want to cut or lose, but didn't want to play either. So they made like they were hurt to IR them so they can spend a year getting stronger and learning the playbook and try again next year.

and the players are OK with it because they get paid NFL salary for the year

and the players are OK with it because they get paid NFL salary for the year

According to stuff I read, it can be a "split salary", 40-70% of NFL salary, depending upon their contract - and for lower round draft picks, they don't have much leverage.

I don't think the players have a choice. They can accept IR or they can request an injury settlement. They do get paid, but they're taking a risk of being outplayed by next year's draft class

It's not a common practice to put a guy on IR for something minor, because the team is on the hook for the player's base salary and the pllayer doesn't play that season.

I think it's a relatively widespread practice to use it to "stash" one rookie who shows promise but is not gonna make the 53 man.

According to stuff I read, it can be a "split salary", 40-70% of NFL salary, depending upon their contract - and for lower round draft picks, they don't have much leverage.

I don't think the players have a choice. They can accept IR or they can request an injury settlement. They do get paid, but they're taking a risk of being outplayed by next year's draft class

I think it's a relatively widespread practice to use it to "stash" one rookie who shows promise but is not gonna make the 53 man.

I understand its the teams decision, but if you are Jeff Demps and the Patriots come to you and say "your hurt, were putting you on the IR", when he is in fact not that hurt (as the conspiracy thoerists are saying), couldnt he then make a big stink out of it in the media? So wouldnt it be wiser for an NFL team trying to "stash" a player like in this case (if thats truly what is going on) be better off giving him his full salary as to keep said player happy?

I understand its the teams decision, but if you are Jeff Demps and the Patriots come to you and say "your hurt, were putting you on the IR", when he is in fact not that hurt (as the conspiracy thoerists are saying), couldnt he then make a big stink out of it in the media? So wouldnt it be wiser for an NFL team trying to "stash" a player like in this case (if thats truly what is going on) be better off giving him his full salary as to keep said player happy?

No, because they would just release him and he would get nothing. Especially a player like Demps who hadn't been playing football for awhile and in all likelihood was just not ready. In Sanders case, it would have been a tough decision. The Bills probably would not have cut him, they would have cut Sam Young instead. But it wouldn't have been good for Sanders in the team's eyes to make a public stink out of it. It would be somewhat of career suicide. It's basically red-shirting them.