Statistical analysis of Vince Young and Tarvaris Jackson

I drafted a post in another thread showcasing some of this information but I thought it deserved it's own thread, and therefore went into more detail. The signing of Tarvaris Jackson was an absolutely solid move, and further solidifies my trust in the current front office. Vince Young was a weakness, and Thigpen is at best a quality control coach. There are some eye catching statistics that certainly point to why Buddy made this move.

2011 was TJ's first and only year in Seattle. While he started off slowly, his play in the second half of the season (presumably once he felt comfortable with their playbook) rose considerably.

First 8 games: 73 QB rating, 6 TD's, 9 INT's

Last 8 games: 85 QB rating, 8 TD's, 4 INT's

2qna8m0.jpg

As you can see, he not only put up better numbers in the 2nd half of the season, but he also became more consistent.

* In games against the BIlls 2012 opponents, TJ completed 60% of his passes for 1125 yards, 7 TD's, and 5 INT's. He also had 55 yards on the ground.

* Now here is where it gets very enticing. In December, he threw for 800 yards, 4 TD's, 0 INT's, and had a 98.8 QB rating. In games where it was 40 degrees or colder, he was 53 of 79 for 641 yards, 67% completion rating, 3 TD's, 0 INT's, and 104.5 QB rating.

* In the Red Zone, he had 10 TD's and only 1 INT. It is worth noting that he does take a relatively high percentage of sacks in the red zone - 12% of all red-zone drop backs - likely due to his tendency to scramble under pressure.

I personally love the move. I think he is a tremendous upgrade over Vince Young. And here is why (Vince Young stats to follow):

* In games against the BIlls 2012 opponents, Young threw for 608 yards, 2 TD's, and 5 INT's and a fumble. He also had 72 yards on the ground.

* In December, Vince Young threw for 208 yards, on 58% passing, with 1 TD's, 4 INT's, and 2 fumbles. All of these games were under 40 degrees.

* In the Red Zone, he completed 56% of his passes, however 7 of those were TD's and he had 2 interceptions.

Side by Side Analysis

Against Bills 2012 Opponents

TJ: 1,125 yards, 7 TD's, 5 INT's, 55 yards rushing

Young: 608 yards, 2 TD's, 5 INT's, 1 fumble, 72 yards rushing

In December/Games under 40 degrees

TJ: 67%, 641 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT, 104 QB rating

Young: 56%, 208 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT's, 2 fumbles. 65 QB rating

It's clear to see who has the higher upside. TJ consistently got better throughout the season. In games against the Bills 2012 opponents, he fared well. In games in December and in cold weather, he was PERFECT. Vince on the other hand was not consistent. Every week he was up and down, and he not only played poorly against Bills opponents but he was downright awful in cold weather.

Good move by the front office.

Edited by LiterateStylish

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is more about TJ than Young.

Just because his numbers were like that in Seattle doesn't mean his numbers will be identical in Buffalo. Different team, different system, and how he adapts will tell how well he plays. So you can compare numbers all you want but it doesn't mean anything.

Just because his numbers were like that in Seattle doesn't mean his numbers will be identical in Buffalo. Different team, different system, and how he adapts will tell how well he plays. So you can compare numbers all you want but it doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, why bother with statistics & analysis when we need to rant about the roster?

Good research!

And, don't forget, T Jack completed 60% of his passes last year despite a torn pec. Seattle fans all rave about this guy being a "warrior" who's willing to play hurt.

T Jack is a borderline starter. Both Minnesota and Seattle made him a starter then decided to move on with a better option. In other words, he's a good back up. And your stats bear that out.

Thank you very much for bringing stats and facts to TBD. I know you're a new poster and want to make sure you know I appreciate the time and energy you put into your post.

FleaMoulds80 is right that stats aren't everything, but baseless opinion is abundant on the board. Especially where opinion varies considerably (like the T Jackson hiring) it's great to look at the data and be open to interpretations of it.

Yeah, why bother with statistics & analysis when we need to rant about the roster?

All I'm saying is Tarvaris might play better than those stats indicate. Or he could completely bomb and be the worst QB to wear a Bills uniform. It means nothing. Different QBs play well in some systems and others don't. Look at Kevin Kolb. He looked like a STUD and his numbers in Philly were amazing. Well...just look at him in a different system on a different team. So you're still going to go off his numbers he put up in Philly?

All I'm saying is Tarvaris might play better than those stats indicate. Or he could completely bomb and be the worst QB to wear a Bills uniform. It means nothing. Different QBs play well in some systems and others don't. Look at Kevin Kolb. He looked like a STUD and his numbers in Philly were amazing. Well...just look at him in a different system on a different team. So you're still going to go off his numbers he put up in Philly?

Actually, you're wrong. Kolb was not a stud in Philly and his numbers were not amazing. Kolb had 11 TD's, 14 INT's, and 9 fumbles while in a Philadelphia uniform.

Statistics dont lie.

Nice post LS. Looking at the chart and it's conclusions I can't help but think Pete Carrol is going to look like a total idiot if his shiny new QB either doesn't pan out or gets hurt and they struggle with no competent backup.

Jackson may not know this yet, but with coach Lee and Gailey plus Fitz and Brad Smith ( and possibly Thigpen) to help him, he just put himself in an excellent learning environment with some cool people.

I feel a lot better about our backup situation

Actually, you're wrong. Kolb was not a stud in Philly and his numbers were not amazing. Kolb had 11 TD's, 14 INT's, and 9 fumbles while in a Philadelphia uniform.

Statistics dont lie.

Geeeeeez. Don't use hard facts and data again. Haaaaa The infamous double "youve been served" Nice thread by the way, thanks for the info

Statistics dont lie.

I'm not talking about his 1st 2 seasons. If you're comparing Kolb's entire career, then why don't you compare Vince Young's career stats to Tarvaris Jackson's career stats? I'm talking about Kolbs last year in Philly, he played LIGHTS OUT. His first 2 career starts, he posted over 600 yds and 6 TDs, and he was the IT QB. I'll use Matt Flynn as another example. Look at how he played last year in Green Bay. Look at Matt Cassel in New England. Do you really want me to go on?

All 3 QBs played lights out their last years with their old teams and have completely BOMBED with their new teams. So you're still gonna compare numbers like that? It means nothing. If stats were any indication of how they'll do with their new team, Matt Flynn would be starting and Matt Cassel would have the Chiefs in the playoffs every year.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

I'm not talking about his 1st 2 seasons. If you're comparing Kolb's entire career, then why don't you compare Vince Young's career stats to Tarvaris Jackson's career stats? I'm talking about Kolbs last year in Philly, he played LIGHTS OUT.

You're wrong again. His last year in Philly he played poorly. In fact, it was probably his worst year. He averaged 6 yards per pass - one of the lowest averages of his career. He threw 7 TD's. 7 INT's, and had 6 fumbles with a 76 QB rating.

You're wrong again. His last year in Philly he played poorly. In fact, it was probably his worst year. He averaged 6 yards per pass - one of the lowest averages of his career. He threw 7 TD's. 7 INT's, and had 6 fumbles with a 76 QB rating.

If you've actually watched the games, you'd think differently. This is where stats are deceiving. There's a reason why Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel, and Kevin Kolb were highly chased after their tenure with their old teams. They played well in their last years of their contracts.